View Poll Results: To Tank or Not to Tank

Voters
292. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want to secure a high draft pick and develop the young players.

209 71.58%
  • No, go for the most wins and play the vets.

34 11.64%
  • I'm still pissed that Disney bought Star Wars.

49 16.78%
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

Default Re: To Tank or not to Tank, that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by rabman_gold View Post
    We will have at least 2 above average draft picks brought in. There's a chance we may parlay Andy into 1-3 more assets. And there's a chance we could get 4 new guys that make a big impact by the next season. We could be 8 deep. Of course, we would be young, and Andy's infectious energy won't push us harder, except for Thompson.

At this point, we could get another 1st rounder with the Heat/Lakers one and ours. Combine the top 2 so we get into the top 5-10. The other can be combined with lots of second rounders if we find somebody we really like.

Regardless of if tanking is the option or not, Chris Grant is doing it without going overboard while Scott is keeping them competitive (so not to get their spirits down). Like throwing the dog a bone a couple times.

If I'm a fan of a small market team, I like this approach, since nobody's in a rush yet. And by getting people like Miles and Pargo, it forces the other guys to step up or stay glued to the bench. That itself will make assets.

I guess there's only one way to put this: Don't go too high when we win, don't get too low when we lose (especially in clutch situations), and be patient, because you'll know when we're finally ready (it'll make the 2005-2007 competing teams look like NOTHING).
    Well, if nothing else, your persistance as one optimistic SOB is admirable Sometimes I feel a bit worn down by all the years of being a devout CLE fan. Years and years of constant defending my teams only to be disappointed has me on the other side of the spectrum, but I like reading stuff like this sometimes to get me feeling a little younger again.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Giambiwannabe7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,437 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rabman_gold View Post
    We will have at least 2 above average draft picks brought in. There's a chance we may parlay Andy into 1-3 more assets. And there's a chance we could get 4 new guys that make a big impact by the next season. We could be 8 deep. Of course, we would be young, and Andy's infectious energy won't push us harder, except for Thompson.

At this point, we could get another 1st rounder with the Heat/Lakers one and ours. Combine the top 2 so we get into the top 5-10. The other can be combined with lots of second rounders if we find somebody we really like.

Regardless of if tanking is the option or not, Chris Grant is doing it without going overboard while Scott is keeping them competitive (so not to get their spirits down). Like throwing the dog a bone a couple times.

If I'm a fan of a small market team, I like this approach, since nobody's in a rush yet. And by getting people like Miles and Pargo, it forces the other guys to step up or stay glued to the bench. That itself will make assets.

I guess there's only one way to put this: Don't go too high when we win, don't get too low when we lose (especially in clutch situations), and be patient, because you'll know when we're finally ready (it'll make the 2005-2007 competing teams look like NOTHING).
    The mid-2000s in general really were a poor time for basketball, IMO. I mean, the league allowed the Cavs, who where a pretty piss-poor team with a young LeBron, make it to the finals. The level of talent in the league took a dip from the time of the Lakers, and it has picked up since around 2008 or so. It just takes so much more than before in order to win a championship.
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Löttery Göd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmknJoe7 View Post
    Well, if nothing else, your persistance as one optimistic SOB is admirable Sometimes I feel a bit worn down by all the years of being a devout CLE fan. Years and years of constant defending my teams only to be disappointed has me on the other side of the spectrum, but I like reading stuff like this sometimes to get me feeling a little younger again.
    This stuff isn't what wears me down. Poor teams are frankly easy to handle. You learn to latch onto things that occur in the games. What wears you down and rips your heart out is the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" near misses. Those are absolute agony. The Boston series in '99 caused me to have to take a break from sports for a bit. Only time I really did in over 40 years of following the local teams. I think it was the accumulation of frustration over so many of those near misses. Burba had to leave because of arm issues. He was in control. You could see it. Then, BAM... arm acts up and that was it. The first two relievers come in and pitch like they don't give a shit. If only they had Burba's fire. He was so pissed that he couldn't continue he destroyed a water cooler in the dug out. Anyways, I have kept up with pretty much everything otherwise. Just hang in there Joe.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scholar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar23 View Post
    This stuff isn't what wears me down. Poor teams are frankly easy to handle. You learn to latch onto things that occur in the games. What wears you down and rips your heart out is the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" near misses. Those are absolute agony. The Boston series in '99 caused me to have to take a break from sports for a bit. Only time I really did in over 40 years of following the local teams. I think it was the accumulation of frustration over so many of those near misses. Burba had to leave because of arm issues. He was in control. You could see it. Then, BAM... arm acts up and that was it. The first two relievers come in and pitch like they don't give a shit. If only they had Burba's fire. He was so pissed that he couldn't continue he destroyed a water cooler in the dug out. Anyways, I have kept up with pretty much everything otherwise. Just hang in there Joe.
    I'm trying, Scholar. I'm trying. And believe you me, I hate the whole woe is me crap, so I try not to whine about curses and jinxes and such too much. I'm typing this as I watch the Browns beating the hated Steelers...still thinking in the back of my head what new ways we will find to lose this week.

I'll never quit being a fan of all my CLE teams, but they may decrease my years of agony if this keeps up much longer, as I'm not sure how much more of this my ticker can handle. Drives, fumbles, Mesa's, elbows, moves blah blah blah.....
    Last edited by Giambiwannabe7; 11-25-2012 at 02:17 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Giambiwannabe7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmknJoe7 View Post
    Thanks. This is nothing compared to some other stuff I've seen over my last 16 years of dedicated basketball. And since I've seen a rebuild happen already, I know that I can handle what comes ahead.

Besides, part of my optimism is actually viewing and observing this team. There's no question that they are getting better. To just wait and be patient.

In fact, even if they never win a championship over my life, I won't mind because I always dedicated to following them. But I really would like to see one when we're close at some point in the next 10 years.
    (Reserved for future Animated Signature-that-won't-slow-you-down)

Magic Number Thread:
    http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...in-May-2011...

The latest updates are noted within the context.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabman_gold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,370 Times in 2,900 Posts

I think the team is being built the right way, but one misstep could screw everything up. Stay cautious. It will take another few years too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 501 Posts

piss tons win and we are tied for the 2nd worst record record

tank is rolling hard

Private eyes, Watchin You Tornicade IED's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,715 Times in 2,075 Posts

If i was a pro tanker id be really nervous right now.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,437 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tornicade View Post
    If i was a pro tanker id be really nervous right now.
    Why? With or without Irving, we've consistently kept the games close, yet we keep on losing. It's pretty clear to me like we're going for a high pick. I doubt that management will allow us to get anything other than a top five pick, and really I expect a top three pick.
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Löttery Göd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,552 Times in 605 Posts

It's sad that we're tanking unintentionally. The team is just that bad. Maybe things will turn around in the next couple years, and we will start winning games.

Private eyes, Watchin You Tornicade IED's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,715 Times in 2,075 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RMsDanielGibson View Post
    Why? With or without Irving, we've consistently kept the games close, yet we keep on losing. It's pretty clear to me like we're going for a high pick. I doubt that management will allow us to get anything other than a top five pick, and really I expect a top three pick.
    I think the team is developing a lot faster than expected.

NBA Team Average Margin Thru 3 Quarters
    Rank Team 2012 Last 3 Last 1 Home Away 2011
    19 Cleveland -1.0 +3.0 +7.0 -1.8 -0.7 -7.2

last years team was playing at its peak up until about 25-30 games. then spiraled down hill. this team is progressing steadily and has shown more consistency for a less experienced team.

heres more

NBA Team Average Biggest Lead

Rank Team 2012 Last 3 Last 1 Home Away 2011
    15 Cleveland 10.9 11.7 10.0 11.0 10.8 7.5

Last edited by Tornicade IED; 11-27-2012 at 01:29 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tornicade IED For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,528 Times in 3,396 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    It's sad that we're tanking unintentionally. The team is just that bad. Maybe things will turn around in the next couple years, and we will start winning games.
    Not really, every game except that one against Chicago has been close. Teams like Miami haven't been able to control the Cavs this season. Dion has been playing well, and Andy has been fantastic. Kyrie is Kyrie but he got hurt. The major issue is the bench. The Cavs can worry more about adding depth in the future, right now their biggest goal is to acquire and develop young talent. Free agency and trades can come later, right now it's all about the draft. If they were getting blown out all the time I'd understand the pessimism, but that's not the case. They're sticking with their opponents, right now they just haven't learned to close out games.
    Ass pennies

**lost this privilege** Donkey Kong Champion Ocean Force Champion Cell Defense Champion Bird Saver Champion Jigsaw: Rocky Waters Champion Brave Old World Champion Jigsaw: Boats And Fire Hydrant Champion Jigsaw: Narrow Street Champion A Miko Tale Marionette: Another Tale Champion Balancing Mathai Champion Jigsaw: Red Toadstool Champion Jigsaw: Wood Formation Champion 4Blocks Champion CircusCircus Champion Jigsaw: Slate Mine Champion Spencer Hawes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 689 Posts

Great tank job so far! We got it down to a mofrakking art lol.

Leaping strong buildings!
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,422 Times in 1,439 Posts

The Cavs rank 18th in Hollinger's power rankings today, confirming our collective suspicion that they're playing better than their record would indicate. Hard to be too upset when you're seeing an improvement in quality of play while still jockeying for position in the lottery.

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,681 Times in 3,233 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    The team is really young. Young teams lose a lot of games because they struggle in the fourth quarter. This was to be expected, especially with Kyrie out since he's our closer.