View Poll Results: To Tank or Not to Tank

Voters
292. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want to secure a high draft pick and develop the young players.

    209 71.58%
  • No, go for the most wins and play the vets.

    34 11.64%
  • I'm still pissed that Disney bought Star Wars.

    49 16.78%
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 453
  1. #241
    All Star Giambiwannabe7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,132
    Thanks
    2,671
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

    Default Re: To Tank or not to Tank, that is the question

    Quote Originally Posted by rabman_gold View Post
    We will have at least 2 above average draft picks brought in. There's a chance we may parlay Andy into 1-3 more assets. And there's a chance we could get 4 new guys that make a big impact by the next season. We could be 8 deep. Of course, we would be young, and Andy's infectious energy won't push us harder, except for Thompson.

    At this point, we could get another 1st rounder with the Heat/Lakers one and ours. Combine the top 2 so we get into the top 5-10. The other can be combined with lots of second rounders if we find somebody we really like.

    Regardless of if tanking is the option or not, Chris Grant is doing it without going overboard while Scott is keeping them competitive (so not to get their spirits down). Like throwing the dog a bone a couple times.

    If I'm a fan of a small market team, I like this approach, since nobody's in a rush yet. And by getting people like Miles and Pargo, it forces the other guys to step up or stay glued to the bench. That itself will make assets.

    I guess there's only one way to put this: Don't go too high when we win, don't get too low when we lose (especially in clutch situations), and be patient, because you'll know when we're finally ready (it'll make the 2005-2007 competing teams look like NOTHING).
    Well, if nothing else, your persistance as one optimistic SOB is admirable Sometimes I feel a bit worn down by all the years of being a devout CLE fan. Years and years of constant defending my teams only to be disappointed has me on the other side of the spectrum, but I like reading stuff like this sometimes to get me feeling a little younger again.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Giambiwannabe7 For This Useful Post:


  3. #242
    Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    4,331
    Thanks
    8,389
    Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,554 Posts

    Default Re: To Tank or not to Tank, that is the question

    Quote Originally Posted by rabman_gold View Post
    We will have at least 2 above average draft picks brought in. There's a chance we may parlay Andy into 1-3 more assets. And there's a chance we could get 4 new guys that make a big impact by the next season. We could be 8 deep. Of course, we would be young, and Andy's infectious energy won't push us harder, except for Thompson.

    At this point, we could get another 1st rounder with the Heat/Lakers one and ours. Combine the top 2 so we get into the top 5-10. The other can be combined with lots of second rounders if we find somebody we really like.

    Regardless of if tanking is the option or not, Chris Grant is doing it without going overboard while Scott is keeping them competitive (so not to get their spirits down). Like throwing the dog a bone a couple times.

    If I'm a fan of a small market team, I like this approach, since nobody's in a rush yet. And by getting people like Miles and Pargo, it forces the other guys to step up or stay glued to the bench. That itself will make assets.

    I guess there's only one way to put this: Don't go too high when we win, don't get too low when we lose (especially in clutch situations), and be patient, because you'll know when we're finally ready (it'll make the 2005-2007 competing teams look like NOTHING).
    The mid-2000s in general really were a poor time for basketball, IMO. I mean, the league allowed the Cavs, who where a pretty piss-poor team with a young LeBron, make it to the finals. The level of talent in the league took a dip from the time of the Lakers, and it has picked up since around 2008 or so. It just takes so much more than before in order to win a championship.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Free Agency God For This Useful Post:


  5. #243
    Sports Archaeologist Scholar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,135
    Thanks
    11,030
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 1,035 Posts

    Default Re: To Tank or not to Tank, that is the question

    Quote Originally Posted by SmknJoe7 View Post
    Well, if nothing else, your persistance as one optimistic SOB is admirable Sometimes I feel a bit worn down by all the years of being a devout CLE fan. Years and years of constant defending my teams only to be disappointed has me on the other side of the spectrum, but I like reading stuff like this sometimes to get me feeling a little younger again.
    This stuff isn't what wears me down. Poor teams are frankly easy to handle. You learn to latch onto things that occur in the games. What wears you down and rips your heart out is the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" near misses. Those are absolute agony. The Boston series in '99 caused me to have to take a break from sports for a bit. Only time I really did in over 40 years of following the local teams. I think it was the accumulation of frustration over so many of those near misses. Burba had to leave because of arm issues. He was in control. You could see it. Then, BAM... arm acts up and that was it. The first two relievers come in and pitch like they don't give a shit. If only they had Burba's fire. He was so pissed that he couldn't continue he destroyed a water cooler in the dug out. Anyways, I have kept up with pretty much everything otherwise. Just hang in there Joe.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scholar For This Useful Post:


  7. #244
    All Star Giambiwannabe7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,132
    Thanks
    2,671
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

    Default Re: To Tank or not to Tank, that is the question

    Quote Originally Posted by Scholar23 View Post
    This stuff isn't what wears me down. Poor teams are frankly easy to handle. You learn to latch onto things that occur in the games. What wears you down and rips your heart out is the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" near misses. Those are absolute agony. The Boston series in '99 caused me to have to take a break from sports for a bit. Only time I really did in over 40 years of following the local teams. I think it was the accumulation of frustration over so many of those near misses. Burba had to leave because of arm issues. He was in control. You could see it. Then, BAM... arm acts up and that was it. The first two relievers come in and pitch like they don't give a shit. If only they had Burba's fire. He was so pissed that he couldn't continue he destroyed a water cooler in the dug out. Anyways, I have kept up with pretty much everything otherwise. Just hang in there Joe.
    I'm trying, Scholar. I'm trying. And believe you me, I hate the whole woe is me crap, so I try not to whine about curses and jinxes and such too much. I'm typing this as I watch the Browns beating the hated Steelers...still thinking in the back of my head what new ways we will find to lose this week.

    I'll never quit being a fan of all my CLE teams, but they may decrease my years of agony if this keeps up much longer, as I'm not sure how much more of this my ticker can handle. Drives, fumbles, Mesa's, elbows, moves blah blah blah.....
    Last edited by Giambiwannabe7; 11-25-2012 at 02:17 PM.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Giambiwannabe7 For This Useful Post:


  9. #245
    I hate Florida rabman_gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton, FL
    Posts
    4,403
    Thanks
    6,471
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 536 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmknJoe7 View Post
    Well, if nothing else, your persistance as one optimistic SOB is admirable Sometimes I feel a bit worn down by all the years of being a devout CLE fan. Years and years of constant defending my teams only to be disappointed has me on the other side of the spectrum, but I like reading stuff like this sometimes to get me feeling a little younger again.
    Thanks. This is nothing compared to some other stuff I've seen over my last 16 years of dedicated basketball. And since I've seen a rebuild happen already, I know that I can handle what comes ahead.

    Besides, part of my optimism is actually viewing and observing this team. There's no question that they are getting better. To just wait and be patient.

    In fact, even if they never win a championship over my life, I won't mind because I always dedicated to following them. But I really would like to see one when we're close at some point in the next 10 years.
    (Reserved for future Animated Signature-that-won't-slow-you-down)



    Magic Number Thread:
    http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...in-May-2011...

    The latest updates are noted within the context.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabman_gold For This Useful Post:


  11. #246
    So we come to it at last Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    23,008
    Thanks
    6,708
    Thanked 8,078 Times in 3,434 Posts

    Default Re: To Tank or not to Tank, that is the question

    I think the team is being built the right way, but one misstep could screw everything up. Stay cautious. It will take another few years too.

  12. #247
    Rising Star Fuggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,367
    Thanks
    923
    Thanked 2,110 Times in 782 Posts

    Default Re: To Tank or not to Tank, that is the question

    piss tons win and we are tied for the 2nd worst record record

    tank is rolling hard

  13. #248
    The Bushido doctrine Homer Safari's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Columbus, oh
    Posts
    8,209
    Thanks
    2,269
    Thanked 5,173 Times in 2,280 Posts

    Default Re: To Tank or not to Tank, that is the question

    If i was a pro tanker id be really nervous right now.

  14. #249
    Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    4,331
    Thanks
    8,389
    Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,554 Posts

    Default Re: To Tank or not to Tank, that is the question

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornicade View Post
    If i was a pro tanker id be really nervous right now.
    Why? With or without Irving, we've consistently kept the games close, yet we keep on losing. It's pretty clear to me like we're going for a high pick. I doubt that management will allow us to get anything other than a top five pick, and really I expect a top three pick.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Free Agency God For This Useful Post:


  16. #250
    All Star Rondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Posts
    3,094
    Thanks
    1,252
    Thanked 1,673 Times in 641 Posts

    Default Re: To Tank or not to Tank, that is the question

    It's sad that we're tanking unintentionally. The team is just that bad. Maybe things will turn around in the next couple years, and we will start winning games.

  17. #251
    The Bushido doctrine Homer Safari's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Columbus, oh
    Posts
    8,209
    Thanks
    2,269
    Thanked 5,173 Times in 2,280 Posts

    Default Re: To Tank or not to Tank, that is the question

    Quote Originally Posted by RMsDanielGibson View Post
    Why? With or without Irving, we've consistently kept the games close, yet we keep on losing. It's pretty clear to me like we're going for a high pick. I doubt that management will allow us to get anything other than a top five pick, and really I expect a top three pick.
    I think the team is developing a lot faster than expected.

    NBA Team Average Margin Thru 3 Quarters
    Rank Team 2012 Last 3 Last 1 Home Away 2011
    19 Cleveland -1.0 +3.0 +7.0 -1.8 -0.7 -7.2

    last years team was playing at its peak up until about 25-30 games. then spiraled down hill. this team is progressing steadily and has shown more consistency for a less experienced team.

    heres more

    NBA Team Average Biggest Lead

    Rank Team 2012 Last 3 Last 1 Home Away 2011
    15 Cleveland 10.9 11.7 10.0 11.0 10.8 7.5

    Last edited by Homer Safari; 11-27-2012 at 01:29 AM.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Homer Safari For This Useful Post:


  19. #252
    Its Happening!!!! Shakalu M.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gimpsuit
    Posts
    10,938
    Thanks
    4,138
    Thanked 8,820 Times in 3,485 Posts

    Default Re: To Tank or not to Tank, that is the question

    Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    It's sad that we're tanking unintentionally. The team is just that bad. Maybe things will turn around in the next couple years, and we will start winning games.
    Not really, every game except that one against Chicago has been close. Teams like Miami haven't been able to control the Cavs this season. Dion has been playing well, and Andy has been fantastic. Kyrie is Kyrie but he got hurt. The major issue is the bench. The Cavs can worry more about adding depth in the future, right now their biggest goal is to acquire and develop young talent. Free agency and trades can come later, right now it's all about the draft. If they were getting blown out all the time I'd understand the pessimism, but that's not the case. They're sticking with their opponents, right now they just haven't learned to close out games.
    Ass pennies

  20. #253
    Blue Donkey Kong Champion Ocean Force Champion Cell Defense Champion Bird Saver Champion Jigsaw: Rocky Waters Champion Brave Old World Champion Jigsaw: Boats And Fire Hydrant Champion Jigsaw: Narrow Street Champion A Miko Tale Marionette: Another Tale Champion Balancing Mathai Champion Jigsaw: Red Toadstool Champion Jigsaw: Wood Formation Champion 4Blocks Champion CircusCircus Champion Jigsaw: Slate Mine Champion Spencer Hawes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    4,164
    Thanks
    2,985
    Thanked 1,807 Times in 746 Posts

    Default Re: To Tank or not to Tank, that is the question

    Great tank job so far! We got it down to a mofrakking art lol.

  21. #254
    Leaping strong buildings!
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,339
    Thanks
    3,236
    Thanked 5,286 Times in 1,734 Posts

    Default Re: To Tank or not to Tank, that is the question

    The Cavs rank 18th in Hollinger's power rankings today, confirming our collective suspicion that they're playing better than their record would indicate. Hard to be too upset when you're seeing an improvement in quality of play while still jockeying for position in the lottery.

  22. #255
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    10,554
    Thanks
    6,562
    Thanked 11,670 Times in 4,077 Posts

    Default Re: To Tank or not to Tank, that is the question

    Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    It's sad that we're tanking unintentionally. The team is just that bad. Maybe things will turn around in the next couple years, and we will start winning games.
    The team is really young. Young teams lose a lot of games because they struggle in the fourth quarter. This was to be expected, especially with Kyrie out since he's our closer.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •