Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 268
  1. #211
    Golden Shower Member Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale
    Posts
    12,762
    Thanks
    4,538
    Thanked 7,412 Times in 2,191 Posts

    Default Re: The fiscal cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMar Lion View Post
    I went to a gas station around my town (BP) that used to do cash back and they no longer do it according to the clerk.

    I also went to a local CVS and was told I could only get $35 back. I'm fairly certain I have seen the option to get more back when I've used their service in past years.

    Jack...it's day 2. You are going to notice a lot of things once they start to position themselves right in front of our faces. Right now...everything is behind closed doors.








    Here's another thing to look at....start looking at food items and drinks you've always purchased in the past. I can gaurantee you it will be easy to find a product you have been purchasing for awhile and realize that they have cut ingredients based on cost or other (i.e. see sugar, powerade has cut their sugar calories about 40 per serving).

    Did anybody hear about how Dr. Pepper and others are really pushing this 10 calorie crap that has "just enough sugar" to keep you goin? Do you really think it's because people are becoming health conscience??? lol

    People started cutting costs years ago....it's going to get a lot deeper.
    This has to do with Dodd/Frank and banking fee's, not the value of the American Dollar.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:


  3. #212
    Bania'd Soda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Side of CLE
    Posts
    7,988
    Thanks
    4,202
    Thanked 4,860 Times in 2,075 Posts

    Default Re: The fiscal cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    me: "The other day you were telling me to watch 'Homeland" and 'Dexter'....how much are you paying a month for those premium channels? Every day you come to work with giant cups of whatever from Starbucks. The crazy thing is that we have a Keurig coffee maker here with unlimited free coffee in a variety of flavors. How much a month do you spend on Starbucks? You have a subscription to Entertainment Weekly that gets delivered to the office...how much does that cost? See what I mean? You have be honest with yourself and figure out what are needs and what are wants. Cut away the wants."
    girl: "I'll try....but if there's anything you can do I'd really appreciate it."
    me: "uhhhh-ok"
    As an HR professional, you'd be subject to suspension in my workplace.

    As managers, we have responsibilities to be coaches and mentors for our employees professionally. It helps them look at us as help rather than look at us in fear. Where we're supposed to draw the line is with personal matters. We're not even supposed to speak on personal matters if asked or approached. For you to tell someone how to use their paycheck, IMO, is inappropriate. You do not know enough about her personal life to make assumptions about whether or not she has Showtime or is at a friend's house or whether or not she has a boyfriend who gets her Starbucks, etc.

    I know I'll get the "enjoy candyland you hippie liberal", but that is just arrogant. Personal info is not ours to make assumptions on, let alone comment on and brag about later. If she can't cut it with her pay, everything will take care of itself.

    Cavaliers | Browns | Indians | Buckeyes | Red Hawks

  4. #213
    formerly LJ4MVP KI4MVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    12,041
    Thanks
    3,083
    Thanked 6,961 Times in 2,510 Posts

    Default Re: The fiscal cliff

    Average price of gas in 2008 - $3.25
    Average price of gas in 2012 - $3.60

    Source AAA

    The difference isoughly what you would expect from inflation.

    For comparison

    Down Jones Average the day Bush took office in 2001: 10,588
    Down Jones Average the day Bush left office in 2009: 7,949
    Down Jones Average today: 13,412

    the shape of the oil price chart and the DOW chart over that period are virtually identical.
    Last edited by KI4MVP; 01-02-2013 at 07:33 PM.

  5. #214
    Bania'd Soda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Side of CLE
    Posts
    7,988
    Thanks
    4,202
    Thanked 4,860 Times in 2,075 Posts

    Default Re: The fiscal cliff

    I don't intend to represent a case for either side, but aren't oil/gas prices controlled by an oligopoly? I mean, the majority of those oil tycoons are conservatives...

    Isn't it possible that all of these gas prices have been strategically raised (ala our whole life) by those in charge of the price? Now they have every conservative honk crying that Obama failed them and its working. I do understand that it is a position that many liberals don't find themselves in, but I just think that it is awfully convenient that a group of conservatives control the price of gas, which is a huge hot button issue that determines the success of the President. Perhaps the reason Obama is trying to push green tech... Just a thought..

    Cavaliers | Browns | Indians | Buckeyes | Red Hawks

  6. #215
    Rising Star bcort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,698
    Thanks
    231
    Thanked 852 Times in 361 Posts

    Default Re: The fiscal cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    So my office manager just shot this email around my office...



    5mins later office girl walks into talk to office manager...

    girl: "how much is this going to be?"
    office manager: "about $50 per check"
    girl: "i'm already living paycheck to paycheck"
    office manager: "a lot of us are..."

    girl then walks in to talk to one of my partners and i...borderline crying(maybe faking).

    girl: "i asked for a raise last month because i'm having trouble making ends meet. you said "no". Now i'm getting an email saying effective immediately i'm going to make $1000 less this year. can't you guys do something to offset this?"
    me: "the other two owners and i stopped taking paychecks and raided our 401K's to keep everyone here employed and to get us through the crash."
    girl: "i know this, but we had a really great year last year."
    me: "didn't you see the millions in cancellation we got in the weeks following the election?"
    girl: "i did, but...but I can't afford to give up another $100 a month....my cost of living is going up and up...i need more not less".
    me: "I feel your pain. Gas prices have doubled since Obama took office and declared war on domestic coal and oil. As soon as Obamacare got passed, our insurance costs went up over 25% each of the next two years."
    girl: "this sucks..."
    me: "At the risk of making you more upset, it's only the beginning...I'm sorry. My best advice would be to analyze every dollar going out your door and figure out what you can cut out."
    girl: "there's nothing left to cut!"
    me: "The other day you were telling me to watch 'Homeland" and 'Dexter'....how much are you paying a month for those premium channels? Every day you come to work with giant cups of whatever from Starbucks. The crazy thing is that we have a Keurig coffee maker here with unlimited free coffee in a variety of flavors. How much a month do you spend on Starbucks? You have a subscription to Entertainment Weekly that gets delivered to the office...how much does that cost? See what I mean? You have be honest with yourself and figure out what are needs and what are wants. Cut away the wants."
    girl: "I'll try....but if there's anything you can do I'd really appreciate it."
    me: "uhhhh-ok"
    Girl sounds like an idiot. Well, I guess she sounds like everyone else in her generation. And, with that, I'm guessing she's a receptionist/secretary? If so, do receptionists/secretaries really make $50K-$60K a year?

  7. #216
    BANNED Maximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mentor
    Posts
    17,149
    Thanks
    5,543
    Thanked 26,601 Times in 4,028 Posts

    Default Re: The fiscal cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by RappSoda View Post
    As an HR professional, you'd be subject to suspension in my workplace.
    A professional? Wow. Fortunately there's no one who can suspend me. But if I were an HR professional at your big company i'd suspend your ass for posting on RCF during work hours instead of doing your job.


    As managers, we have responsibilities to be coaches and mentors for our employees professionally. It helps them look at us as help rather than look at us in fear.
    I'm pretty sure none of my employees fear me. I have an open door...they come to me for help/advice often...too often. I don't think any of them would tell you i'm ever inappropriate with what I say. They may not always like what I say, but they know my intentions are always good.



    Where we're supposed to draw the line is with personal matters. We're not even supposed to speak on personal matters if asked or approached. For you to tell someone how to use their paycheck, IMO, is inappropriate.
    I own a small business...a dozen people. My employees are like family. I'd do almost anything for them. Like my family, they need some tough love every once in a while. I just gave her a reality check.


    You do not know enough about her personal life to make assumptions about whether or not she has Showtime or is at a friend's house or whether or not she has a boyfriend who gets her Starbucks, etc.
    You have no clue what you are talking about. I know TOO MUCH about her personal life. My single biggest complaint about her is that she talks too much and can be distracting for others. She's a good worker, but she shares way too much information.

    I know I'll get the "enjoy candyland you hippie liberal", but that is just arrogant.
    Honestly, what in the name of God are you talking about?


    Personal info is not ours to make assumptions on, let alone comment on and brag about later. If she can't cut it with her pay, everything will take care of itself.
    Dude, it was some friendly advice. She took the easy route - "Obama wants $100 more, I'll go ask Max for $100 more." Sorry, I'm very generous with her compensation and she knows it. When she says there's nowhere to cut, I know better, so I called her on it. If I wanted to be an asshole I could have asked her why her Accord was averaging 15mpg. I know she fills up her husband's car with her company gas card, but hey, times are tough...i get it.

    I've never had an employee voluntarily leave my company...she loves working here and won't be the first to quit. I wish a mentor had given me some more advice when i was younger.

  8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Maximus For This Useful Post:


  9. #217
    Master Lord Mar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,067
    Thanks
    5,902
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 799 Posts

    Default Re: The fiscal cliff

    This is why HR departments are often needed, actually, required.

    We need more honest, open discussions in the workplace (open door policy).

    Treating adults like adults will only increase productivity.
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!


    RCF All-Time Rank : posts #36 rep #44

  10. #218
    Golden Shower Member Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale
    Posts
    12,762
    Thanks
    4,538
    Thanked 7,412 Times in 2,191 Posts

    Default Re: The fiscal cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    So my office manager just shot this email around my office...



    5mins later office girl walks into talk to office manager...

    girl: "how much is this going to be?"
    office manager: "about $50 per check"
    girl: "i'm already living paycheck to paycheck"
    office manager: "a lot of us are..."

    girl then walks in to talk to one of my partners and i...borderline crying(maybe faking).

    girl: "i asked for a raise last month because i'm having trouble making ends meet. you said "no". Now i'm getting an email saying effective immediately i'm going to make $1000 less this year. can't you guys do something to offset this?"
    me: "the other two owners and i stopped taking paychecks and raided our 401K's to keep everyone here employed and to get us through the crash."
    girl: "i know this, but we had a really great year last year."
    me: "didn't you see the millions in cancellation we got in the weeks following the election?"
    girl: "i did, but...but I can't afford to give up another $100 a month....my cost of living is going up and up...i need more not less".
    me: "I feel your pain. Gas prices have doubled since Obama took office and declared war on domestic coal and oil. As soon as Obamacare got passed, our insurance costs went up over 25% each of the next two years."
    girl: "this sucks..."
    me: "At the risk of making you more upset, it's only the beginning...I'm sorry. My best advice would be to analyze every dollar going out your door and figure out what you can cut out."
    girl: "there's nothing left to cut!"
    me: "The other day you were telling me to watch 'Homeland" and 'Dexter'....how much are you paying a month for those premium channels? Every day you come to work with giant cups of whatever from Starbucks. The crazy thing is that we have a Keurig coffee maker here with unlimited free coffee in a variety of flavors. How much a month do you spend on Starbucks? You have a subscription to Entertainment Weekly that gets delivered to the office...how much does that cost? See what I mean? You have be honest with yourself and figure out what are needs and what are wants. Cut away the wants."
    girl: "I'll try....but if there's anything you can do I'd really appreciate it."
    me: "uhhhh-ok"
    The only thing i take from all of this is Holly Crap, Max has a Keurig Coffee Maker for his employees and I am stuck here chipping in $10 a month on my team so we can have Dunkin Donuts Coffee.

  11. #219
    BANNED Maximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mentor
    Posts
    17,149
    Thanks
    5,543
    Thanked 26,601 Times in 4,028 Posts

    Default Re: The fiscal cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by bcort View Post
    Girl sounds like an idiot. Well, I guess she sounds like everyone else in her generation. And, with that, I'm guessing she's a receptionist/secretary? If so, do receptionists/secretaries really make $50K-$60K a year?
    She wears a lot of hats. She's does everything we used to have two people doing. She's an idiot at times...but we'd be lost without her. She makes 50k, car and healthcare...at least until Obamacare kicks in and i tell her to go to get coverage from the exchange.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    The only thing i take from all of this is Holly Crap, Max has a Keurig Coffee Maker for his employees and I am stuck here chipping in $10 a month on my team so we can have Dunkin Donuts Coffee.
    Best part is that she's the one that said we needed one! Yet still she buys a $9 fat free triple carmel mochachino latte machiatto frappachino every day.

  12. #220
    Or Also Schtick The Oi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,305
    Thanks
    26,923
    Thanked 30,638 Times in 9,765 Posts

    Default Re: The fiscal cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMar Lion View Post
    This is why HR departments are often needed, actually, required.
    Actually...from my experience, HR departments PREVENT honest, open door policy conversations. HR departments are like a built in NAACP.

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Oi For This Useful Post:


  14. #221
    Master Lord Mar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,067
    Thanks
    5,902
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 799 Posts

    Default Re: The fiscal cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Jigo View Post
    Actually...from my experience, HR departments PREVENT honest, open door policy conversations. HR departments are like a built in NAACP.
    I'm not disagreeing either. I've known my fair share of HR assholes.

    EDIT - So maybe the idea of a department needs to go away (political party). A forum needs to be in place (anonymous) that allows people to express what they need to, with certain restrictions in place.
    Last edited by Lord Mar; 01-02-2013 at 11:12 PM.
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!


    RCF All-Time Rank : posts #36 rep #44

  15. #222
    Not a **** was given Man Called X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    O-High-O
    Posts
    11,376
    Thanks
    13,169
    Thanked 7,463 Times in 2,384 Posts

    Default Re: The fiscal cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    She wears a lot of hats. She's does everything we used to have two people doing. She's an idiot at times...but we'd be lost without her. She makes 50k, car and healthcare...at least until Obamacare kicks in and i tell her to go to get coverage from the exchange.




    Best part is that she's the one that said we needed one! Yet still she buys a $9 fat free triple carmel mochachino latte machiatto frappachino every day.
    And yet, you never hired me. Tsk tsk.
    Why am I not allowed to have a center?

  16. #223
    Adrninistrator Huber.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,090
    Thanks
    2,216
    Thanked 6,675 Times in 2,573 Posts

    Default Re: The fiscal cliff

    That girl needs to learn how she can really get a raise.

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huber. For This Useful Post:


  18. #224
    Best in the World The Voice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Avon
    Posts
    12,326
    Thanks
    523
    Thanked 2,083 Times in 1,152 Posts

    Default Re: The fiscal cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMar Lion View Post
    I went to a gas station around my town (BP) that used to do cash back and they no longer do it according to the clerk.

    I also went to a local CVS and was told I could only get $35 back. I'm fairly certain I have seen the option to get more back when I've used their service in past years.

    Jack...it's day 2. You are going to notice a lot of things once they start to position themselves right in front of our faces. Right now...everything is behind closed doors.








    Here's another thing to look at....start looking at food items and drinks you've always purchased in the past. I can gaurantee you it will be easy to find a product you have been purchasing for awhile and realize that they have cut ingredients based on cost or other (i.e. see sugar, powerade has cut their sugar calories about 40 per serving).

    Did anybody hear about how Dr. Pepper and others are really pushing this 10 calorie crap that has "just enough sugar" to keep you goin? Do you really think it's because people are becoming health conscience??? lol

    People started cutting costs years ago....it's going to get a lot deeper.
    This has nothing to do with that and everything to do with Dodd-Frank. Plus a lot to do with Merchant Services and maybe just their general security. A lot of gas stations don't want to keep a lot of cash on hand.

    And sugar in this country is more expensive then any other country. You can go to Canada and pay less for sugar. Congress is getting Russo'd and Demora'd by the sugar industry.

    Walmart you can get 100 bucks back btw.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hefner_Deezy View Post
    That girl needs to learn how she can really get a raise.
    Fucking priceless!
    Last edited by The Voice; 01-03-2013 at 12:34 AM.
    OU... OH YEAH!!!!

    9/13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip
    Sanchize and the boys start their reign of dominance tonight...
    Someone has a CHIP on his shoulder (you know who you are)

  19. #225
    Bania'd Soda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Side of CLE
    Posts
    7,988
    Thanks
    4,202
    Thanked 4,860 Times in 2,075 Posts

    Default Re: The fiscal cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    A professional? Wow. Fortunately there's no one who can suspend me. But if I were an HR professional at your big company i'd suspend your ass for posting on RCF during work hours instead of doing your job.
    Touche', although I was off work at that time (I like to get in before 7 and out just after 4). I'm just telling you what I've learned throughout college/work. Also, a dozen people sounds like my Aunt's business, which is more of a family atmosphere and having <50 employees give you a lot more latitude with your employment limits. Sometimes reality checks are necessary for people, we're just not the ones who should be giving it to them (it can come back to bite me in my org).

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    You have no clue what you are talking about.
    On the contrary. I happen to know more than I would care to about employment law. It is my job, though. Like I said, though, an office with a dozen employees can be a lot more "casual" about their adherence to employment law. Perhaps, I could have asked if you had a bigger company

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Dude, it was some friendly advice. She took the easy route - "Obama wants $100 more, I'll go ask Max for $100 more." Sorry, I'm very generous with her compensation and she knows it. When she says there's nowhere to cut, I know better, so I called her on it. If I wanted to be an asshole I could have asked her why her Accord was averaging 15mpg. I know she fills up her husband's car with her company gas card, but hey, times are tough...i get it.

    I've never had an employee voluntarily leave my company...she loves working here and won't be the first to quit. I wish a mentor had given me some more advice when i was younger.
    Mentors can be both a blessing and a pain at times. I'm glad you're able to balance the boss/peer see-saw. Not many people can, thus making my department necessary. Also, mentors are great, but they don't trump good-old experience. I can say that and I'm sure I've had less experience than you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Jigo View Post
    Actually...from my experience, HR departments PREVENT honest, open door policy conversations. HR departments are like a built in NAACP.
    Not really true at all. Unions are like built in NAACP. HR stands in the middle of Unions, who are looking for the next slip, and management that often times doesn't have time to be consciously thinking about all of the little intricacies that they're held to by Unions (and consequently their Union employees/reps).

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMar Lion View Post
    I'm not disagreeing either. I've known my fair share of HR assholes.

    EDIT - So maybe the idea of a department needs to go away (political party). A forum needs to be in place (anonymous) that allows people to express what they need to, with certain restrictions in place.
    I generally can't take a shot at you because you bring up shit that nobody has enough time to look into, but you're just ill-informed here, Mar. First off, I'm an HR professional and for as much shit as we take, we're the people that fix all of the problems ignorant folk create.

    So, HR is only there for people to air their grievances? Do you know anything about employment law? Do you know what goes on in a day of HR? Do you know the reason that HR is in place? I didn't think so.

    The reasons HR is needed is because:

    - Most employers have enough employees (most kick in after 50 employees) that they're held to laws such as COBRA, ADA, FMLA, Affirmative Action, etc.
    - When the NAACP comes knocking at the front door asking about how many minorities are present in the workplace and how people are promoted, "assholes" like me have to come back to them demonstrating how HR went about getting to those "quotas". We can't be wrong.
    - Do you know the cost of turnover? HR must do what they can to limit needless turnover because it is costly to search for, hire and train a new employee.
    - Do you know the cost of training that goes into an employee? Enough to make a sizable difference in the bottom line of a company's profitability.
    - Do you know the appropriate bonus levels that keep employees motivated and feeling like they have stake in the company? This is tricky. Based upon position and levels at which bonuses are handed out, a lot of feeling of hopelessness permeates a workforce if this is done improperly. Study CHEP Global Pooling's bonus system in 2007-2009, if the information isn't private. You'll find a workforce that experienced a ton of turnover and decreased productivity because of a botched bonus plan that left many employees without anything due to circumstances out of their control.
    - Are you aware that most large public employers have to deal with 15 or more Unions? I know municipalities have like 30+ Unions to maintain relationships with.
    - Have you heard of an employee filing with the NLRB because she felt she had too much work only to come back later and file again saying too much work was taken from her?
    - Have you ever trained someone in a workplace or have had to be trained?

    These are things that HR needs to come up with metrics to measure and, yes, we do show a $$ amount that affects the bottom line of an organization. So spare me with the idea of replacing HR with an "idea box".

    What should have been is that Unions shouldn't be necessary. Management should be learning that a key to a good workforce is just being generally sympathetic and not completely greedy when it comes to the workforce, theoretically. Greed got in the way of treating people humane long ago, which is why employment laws are in place and Unions exist.

    Cavaliers | Browns | Indians | Buckeyes | Red Hawks

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soda For This Useful Post:


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •