View Poll Results: How do you rate the job Coach Scott has done so far?

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Better then expected

58 19.59%
  • About as good as could be expected

177 59.80%
  • Below my expectations

61 20.61%
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 536 Posts

Default Re: Rating Coach Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Gimme Some Mo View Post
    Scott was awful in the last thirty seconds tonight. Runs an iso for Pargo which is bad enough , but he had him run clock out before attacking which you do not do when losing. Then when Allen is at free throw line at end of game Scott didn't put Tristan in to rebound which led to Bosh tipping the ball around because he's so much taller than Gee. That cost us about two seconds. Then we don't call a timeout on the last possession. Terrible.
    This would be a game where we would've needed Kyrie. Chalk it up to bad luck. We had the game, but Waiters was guarding both LeBron and Ray on that last 3 pointer. What's he supposed to do?

Still, it was crunch time minutes, I think the more crunch time you get, the better it pays off when you're contending. So Dion gets a good 101 in defending the best vs. the shooter.
    (Reserved for future Animated Signature-that-won't-slow-you-down)

Magic Number Thread:
    http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...in-May-2011...

The latest updates are noted within the context.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,041 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rabman_gold View Post
    This would be a game where we would've needed Kyrie. Chalk it up to bad luck. We had the game, but Waiters was guarding both LeBron and Ray on that last 3 pointer. What's he supposed to do?

Still, it was crunch time minutes, I think the more crunch time you get, the better it pays off when you're contending. So Dion gets a good 101 in defending the best vs. the shooter.
    No, Waiters wasn't. He didn't need to help at all. Whoever was on Bron (I think it was Gee) was right there. Varejao was waiting behind him. Waiters really had no reason to help off the BEST THREE POINT SHOOTER in the NBA history. He'll learn. I hope.

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Czvosec For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hard to criticize Scott after this one. If you blame him for the loss, then you also must credit him for coaching a bunch of mediocre players to a near-victory against the most talented team in the league. Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Allen vs. our collection of rookies, former D-Leaguers, and guys that should still be in the D-League.

We could have won, yes. We could have had a better play towards the end, yes. We could have also been blown out and given up right away, but they played tough.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PosterTime For This Useful Post:

Rookie
    Thanks

The Cavs have been playing extremely well in the past 3 games since Kyrie has been out. Suddenly there is actual defense and ball movement, and not just a bunch of guys standing around waiting for Kyrie to do his thing and trying to cover for him on the defensive end. Players that looked like they don't belong in this league all of the sudden nearly pull a win at Miami. It's great that Scott can manage to get that kind of production out of these players, BUT if the Cavs' style of play reverts back to what it was when Kyrie comes back, Scott will lose the team. He needs to find a way to adjust Kyrie's game in a way that will benefit the team, and look to develop him not only as an individual star player but also as a star team-player (and at least a respectable defender).

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teamballer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,737 Times in 4,184 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gimme Some Mo View Post
    Scott was awful in the last thirty seconds tonight. Runs an iso for Pargo which is bad enough , but he had him run clock out before attacking which you do not do when losing. Then when Allen is at free throw line at end of game Scott didn't put Tristan in to rebound which led to Bosh tipping the ball around because he's so much taller than Gee. That cost us about two seconds. Then we don't call a timeout on the last possession. Terrible.
    My thinking would be because he didn't want him to rebound the ball and immediately get fouled.

I'd also like to know if he told Pargo to run the clock down or Pargo did that all on his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by David.
    Idiot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 536 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Czvosec View Post
    No, Waiters wasn't. He didn't need to help at all. Whoever was on Bron (I think it was Gee) was right there. Varejao was waiting behind him. Waiters really had no reason to help off the BEST THREE POINT SHOOTER in the NBA history. He'll learn. I hope.
    Weren't you paying attention to the Heat's last full play? LeBron charged into the right middle of the paint and even Varejao and Gee combined were not enough, so Dion actually was moving in between both LeBron and Ray. One would force us to tie, the other would be a 1 point game. The way we executed after that, there was nothing we could do...
    (Reserved for future Animated Signature-that-won't-slow-you-down)

Magic Number Thread:
    http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...in-May-2011...

The latest updates are noted within the context.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rabman_gold View Post
    Weren't you paying attention to the Heat's last full play? LeBron charged into the right middle of the paint and even Varejao and Gee combined were not enough, so Dion actually was moving in between both LeBron and Ray. One would force us to tie, the other would be a 1 point game. The way we executed after that, there was nothing we could do...

James drove right. Waiters, who was guarding Allen on the wing, helped off him to dig down on the drive. In that situation, the one guy you dont help off of especially with LeBron James with the ball is Ray Allen.

Waiters invited the pass and James makes that play all day long in that situation.

Correction:

James didnt drive right. He caught the ball on a curl going into the right side of the lane.
    Last edited by MYoung23; 11-25-2012 at 09:12 AM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MYoung23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teamballer View Post
    The Cavs have been playing extremely well in the past 3 games since Kyrie has been out. Suddenly there is actual defense and ball movement, and not just a bunch of guys standing around waiting for Kyrie to do his thing and trying to cover for him on the defensive end. Players that looked like they don't belong in this league all of the sudden nearly pull a win at Miami. It's great that Scott can manage to get that kind of production out of these players, BUT if the Cavs' style of play reverts back to what it was when Kyrie comes back, Scott will lose the team. He needs to find a way to adjust Kyrie's game in a way that will benefit the team, and look to develop him not only as an individual star player but also as a star team-player (and at least a respectable defender).
    Cavs gave up over 50% shooting and 100 points the last 2 games so slow down.

Theyre getting the exact same shots but guys who couldnt find Lake Erie from the Goodtime II are now making shots. Everything looks better when more than 3 guys on the roster are making shots.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MYoung23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MYoung23 View Post
    Cavs gave up over 50% shooting and 100 points the last 2 games so slow down.

Theyre getting the exact same shots but guys who couldnt find Lake Erie from the Goodtime II are now making shots. Everything looks better when more than 3 guys on the roster are making shots.
    They may be making shots, but you can't deny that the ball movement looks a lot better.

Is it possible that they are making the shots because they feel in rhythm with the flow of the offense now? Team play/ball movement/rhythm can effect whether or not a certain player makes a certain shot.

Hopefully it is just a situation where everyone is coming out of their slumps at the same time because I don't want to think about Kyrie being "the problem" quite yet.

Thanks

Execution, is the problem not the coaching down the stretch. Others might have mentioned, Dion should not have helped off of RAY ALLEN one of the best 3pt shooters of our generation.
    When it comes to the last few pos. I am pretty sure that is not what was drawn up in the huddles.

Execution, not coaching. That is all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by: Ammofan

Season Ticket Holder 3 Ball...GOT IT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 464 Posts

Sure LeBron can score well, but he's also a great passer. No doubt Waiters is at fault on that last play, and no doubt Byron didn't draw up too great of a play on the other end, but you can't solely put the blame on one single person.
    AYEEEEEEE
    ANTHONY BENNETT > TRISTAN THOMPSON

Thanks
    Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,151 Posts

Waiters and Pargo made a couple poor decisions down the stretch that sealed our fate but how can you even be mad at them? Scott deserves a lot of credit tonight because both units were able to rotate within each other and look cohesive for the most part. I think we're making strides as a young team and Scott is a big reason for it.

The only thing Scott could of done from a coaching standpoint was call another timeout on the inbounds to try and get another shot off but the game was over anyway.

You can't plan for Ray Allen missing a free throw.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,375 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSS2306 View Post
    Waiters and Pargo made a couple poor decisions down the stretch that sealed our fate but how can you even be mad at them? Scott deserves a lot of credit tonight because both units were able to rotate within each other and look cohesive for the most part. I think we're making strides as a young team and Scott is a big reason for it.

The only thing Scott could of done from a coaching standpoint was call another timeout on the inbounds to try and get another shot off but the game was over anyway.

You can't plan for Ray Allen missing a free throw.
    Not the first time he's done that against the Cavs....
    i like jorts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

Yes, Scott deserves some credit for keeping the team in the game, but the iso for Pargo was terrible. He's got Wade on him, who has height, experience, length, etc all in spades over Pargo and he does some idiotic spin BS that had zero chance. If you have Kyrie, fine, run the iso. Otherwise, run a damn play.

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teamballer View Post
    He needs to find a way to adjust Kyrie's game in a way that will benefit the team, and look to develop him not only as an individual star player but also as a star team-player (and at least a respectable defender).
    I don't think he's at risk of losing the team. I think everybody respects Kyrie too much, but I share your other concerns. KI has a lot to learn too, and some time on the bench watching the team try to execute without him might help.