Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,241 Times in 922 Posts

Default Re: LA Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni

Quote Originally Posted by shoes22 View Post
    He is absolutely getting a max contract, there's no doubt about that. My point is, teams like the Nets (one of Dwight's preferred destinations) are less likely to mortgage the farm to create enough cap space to sign him.
    The Nets took them self out of that dwightmare already.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 878 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Why would Paul leave LA?
    There's a few reasons I can think of off hand.

1) The Clippers are not winning a title.
    2) The Clippers are the Lakers ugly step brother.
    3) The Clippers owner is the cheapest in the NBA.
    4) The Clippers don't have a player near Dwight's caliber.
    5) I'm sure Dwight, and Paul are buddy's.
    6) The hype surrounding building another superteam.

All of those are legitimate reasons for Paul to leave the Clippers. It's a terribly run franchise, their coach is a joke, and Blake hasn't improved one bit. Without Paul the Clippers are back in the cellar.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1 View Post

All of those are legitimate reasons for Paul to leave the Clippers. It's a terribly run franchise, their coach is a joke, and Blake hasn't improved one bit. Without Paul the Clippers are back in the cellar.
    Yea what a cheap bastard their owner is giving Jordan 50 mil,Blake 90+ mill and then going out and signing Crawford,Hill,Barnes,and Odom.Quite the cheap fucker,huh?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to King J For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King J View Post
    Yea what a cheap bastard their owner is giving Jordan 50 mil,Blake 90+ mill and then going out and signing Crawford,Hill,Barnes,and Odom.Quite the cheap fucker,huh?
    A few signings doesn't erase the last few decades of poor ownership. Trading the first overall pick in the draft to save 10 million or so (without looking it up).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,816 Times in 1,335 Posts

A few signings doesn't erase the last few decades of poor ownership. Trading the first overall pick in the draft to save 10 million or so (without looking it up).
    FFS WHEN WILL PEOPLE STOP SAYING THIS

he traded a 2.8% chance of winning #1 (and a <10% chance of even landing t3) in a draft that their front office viewed as weak. lac achieved what they wanted to from that trade and it was in no way bad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post

he traded a 2.8% chance of winning #1 (and a <10% chance of even landing t3) in a draft that their front office viewed as weak. lac achieved what they wanted to from that trade and it was in no way bad.
    A quality front office puts protection on that pick regardless of the so called strength of it, and you can't convince me otherwise. That is a terrible move on their part. They would have been by far the front runners to have Paul, AND Howard on their roster right now, while still retaining Blake if they had put top 3 protection on that pick. Worst case scenario for them is they keep Kyrie, and trade for Dwight (let's face it the package they sent to NOPE was much better than what Orlando got for Howard).

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post

Never? To make matters even worse, they could have just waited out the year and then amnestied Baron after the lockout.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,816 Times in 1,335 Posts

A quality front office puts protection on that pick regardless of the so called strength of it, and you can't convince me otherwise. That is a terrible move on their part. They would have been by far the front runners to have Paul, AND Howard on their roster right now, while still retaining Blake if they had put top 3 protection on that pick. Worst case scenario for them is they keep Kyrie, and trade for Dwight (let's face it the package they sent to NOPE was much better than what Orlando got for Howard).
    Except they can't force another team to accept a trade. The lack of protection might (should have been) have been a requirement for Grant to accept.

Again, had they had kept the pick, they would not have gotten Kyrie. Run the lottery again and a result as unlikely as that one is not going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Never? To make matters even worse, they could have just waited out the year and then amnestied Baron after the lockout.
    Then they're idiots? LAC did not trade the #1 pick and that is a fact.

Also, maybe....they didn't want to amnesty such a highly-paid player?
    Last edited by Triumph36; 12-10-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 21,577 Times in 4,830 Posts

The LAC front office would have put protection on the pick that became Kyrie Irving, but they could not due to conditions that could have conflicted with a previous trade. Depending on how things worked out, they could have been in violation of the Stepien rule (traded 2 future #1 picks in a row).

LAC may have been idiots for making the trade itself and for trading an unprotected pick.

But they were not idiots for choosing not to put protection on that particular pick in that year. They could not put protection on it. It was not an option. If they wanted to shed salary in part by trading their #1 pick that year, it could not be protected. It's not like Grant conned them into removing the protection on the pick. The NBA office made the rules clear about the conditions on that pick.
    Last edited by wuck; 12-10-2012 at 11:06 PM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wuck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 486 Posts

1. The Clips have a legitimate shot at knocking off Memphis, OKC, or San Antonio.. the 3 best teams in the west.
    2. Why does this matter? If he gets them to the Finals, it'll be an even bigger deal.
    3. Take it from a former Clipper:

"The truth of the thing is Sterling, when I was there my first few, four to six years, he was tight with everything," said Kaman, who was part of the package the Clippers sent to the New Orleans Hornets before last season to land Paul. "He didn't want to spend the money. I think as he's getting older, he's realizing, 'Hey, I don't know how much time I have left' -- or whatever it is -- 'I'm older.' You can't win in the grave.

"No, I'm serious. I think he's almost 80 years old. I think he's seeing, 'Hey, I'm getting older, I'm not getting any younger, I want to win,' so he's putting the money out. ... I think he's saying, 'Hey, I've got to spend more money. I want to get a winning franchise going.' And that's what he's done."

4. Chris Paul and Blake Griffin themselves are Dwight Howard caliber.
    5. Seems all superstars are buddies.
    6. Switch teams just for the hype?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Numbers Guy For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 483 Posts

Dwight just isn't the same guy he was....kid came into the league and basketball was his life. Towards the end of his Orlando contract it was all about being a celebrity rather than a great player. The guy just doesn't get it. Instead of working on free-throws he's too busy having his sixth illegitimate kid. It's sad because he really could have been Shaq-good. He isn't even in the same zip code anymore.

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wuck View Post
    The LAC front office would have put protection on the pick that became Kyrie Irving, but they could not due to conditions that could have conflicted with a previous trade. Depending on how things worked out, they could have been in violation of the Stepien rule (traded 2 future #1 picks in a row).
    And if they were clever enough they would have come up with a contingency to cover that situation, but Sterling just wanted Baron gone and the lack of protection added a ton of value to the deal. Most likely the Cavs do not accept the deal if it was protected.

Supposedly they wanted to free up money to spend in free-agency figuring their team was young enough and could use some players ready to compete right away.

They're currently 14-6, so I guess it's working out for them, but I don't personally find their 2012 free agent signings all that exciting (Crawford, Hollins, Turiaf, and Grant Hill)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Numbers Guy View Post
    1. The Clips have a legitimate shot at knocking off Memphis, OKC, or San Antonio.. the 3 best teams in the west.
    Sure they do. Just like Denver has a legitimate shot to knock LAC out of the playoffs. The West is wide open.
    2. Why does this matter? If he gets them to the Finals, it'll be an even bigger deal.
    Sure just like if Josh Smith leads the Hawks to the finals it will be a big deal... What I was saying is no matter what Paul does in LA it will never outshine the Lakers.
    3. Take it from a former Clipper:

"The truth of the thing is Sterling, when I was there my first few, four to six years, he was tight with everything," said Kaman, who was part of the package the Clippers sent to the New Orleans Hornets before last season to land Paul. "He didn't want to spend the money. I think as he's getting older, he's realizing, 'Hey, I don't know how much time I have left' -- or whatever it is -- 'I'm older.' You can't win in the grave.

"No, I'm serious. I think he's almost 80 years old. I think he's seeing, 'Hey, I'm getting older, I'm not getting any younger, I want to win,' so he's putting the money out. ... I think he's saying, 'Hey, I've got to spend more money. I want to get a winning franchise going.' And that's what he's done."

Like I said a few signings does not make him a good owner. A few (one year really...) years doesn't erase the decades he was the cheapest owner in the NBA.

4. Chris Paul and Blake Griffin themselves are Dwight Howard caliber.
    Laughable that Blake is anywhere near Dwight when he's healthy. Paul sure, you could argue either way, but Blake no chance. Blake's closer to Rudy Gay than Dwight Howard.
    5. Seems all superstars are buddies.
    Pretty much. They likely spend holidays together at MJ's ranch playing with blanket.
    6. Switch teams just for the hype?
    Look at all of the hype that Melo, and LeBron got for creating a super team. Hype leads to money.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,367 Times in 3,660 Posts

Denver has a legit shot at knocking off the Clippers in the playoffs? Blake is closer to Rudy Gay? Dwight Howard and Chris Paul would leave L.A. to go to Atlanta? And that would lead to more money?

Might just wanna sit the next few plays out.

Dwight Howard is not leaving the Lakers. When has a superstar EVER left the Lakers in free agency? Doesn't happen.

EDIT: Just to be clear, what is being proposed here is that Howard is going to walk away from A. more money both in salary and endorsements and B. the Lakers. Now does that not seem absolutely laughable on its face?
    Last edited by Rich; 12-11-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by David.
    Idiot

Thanks
    Thanked 9,367 Times in 3,660 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    And if they were clever enough they would have come up with a contingency to cover that situation, but Sterling just wanted Baron gone and the lack of protection added a ton of value to the deal. Most likely the Cavs do not accept the deal if it was protected.

Supposedly they wanted to free up money to spend in free-agency figuring their team was young enough and could use some players ready to compete right away.

They're currently 14-6, so I guess it's working out for them, but I don't personally find their 2012 free agent signings all that exciting (Crawford, Hollins, Turiaf, and Grant Hill)
    They've created the best bench in the league...

And what is this stuff about them being stupid for not protecting the pick? You realize had they put protecting on the pick, the Cavs likely don't do the trade?
    Quote Originally Posted by David.
    Idiot