Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 168
  1. #91
    Veteran Cavatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    5,960
    Thanks
    7,857
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 904 Posts

    Default Re: LA Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    They've created the best bench in the league...

    And what is this stuff about them being stupid for not protecting the pick? You realize had they put protecting on the pick, the Cavs likely don't do the trade?
    Yeah, it's easy to say we fleeced them, but the team took on lots of money to do that trade.

  2. #92
    Slice & Dice SuperSurge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    6,798
    Thanks
    6,145
    Thanked 7,893 Times in 2,501 Posts

    Default Re: LA Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni

    Nothing is going to plan for the Lakers and the problem is simple:

    Antwan Jamison. He is the black angel of suck. The cloud follows him around wherever he plays.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperSurge For This Useful Post:


  4. #93
    Veteran shoes22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    7,418
    Thanks
    4,396
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 1,760 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlaCavsFan View Post
    Nothing is going to plan for the Lakers and the problem is simple:

    Antwan Jamison. He is the black angel of suck. The cloud follows him around wherever he plays.
    He absolutely seems like the most unlucky player in The NBA. All throughout his career he's like "I'm going to join X team and finally win a championship!!", and not only do those teams fall short, they end up an absolute disaster.

  5. #94
    Rising Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,503
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 744 Times in 359 Posts

    Default Re: LA Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavatt View Post
    Yeah, it's easy to say we fleeced them, but the team took on lots of money to do that trade.
    Why are you worried about Gilbert's money. Another typical Cleveland sports fan comment.

  6. #95
    ~
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    20,425
    Thanks
    2,818
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

    Default Re: LA Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavatt View Post
    Yeah, it's easy to say we fleeced them, but the team took on lots of money to do that trade.
    Nah, we fleeced them. The money wasn't even that big of a deal since we were giving up Mo and Moon, and Mo didn't turn down his player option.

    If I remember right it worked out to be $8m to buy an unprotected lottery pick with a 10% chance of being top-3.

    Who the heck gives that up just to make a player go away?

  7. #96
    Redemption Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,038
    Thanks
    312
    Thanked 325 Times in 116 Posts

    Default Re: LA Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni

    Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1 View Post
    There's a few reasons I can think of off hand.

    1) The Clippers are not winning a title.
    2) The Clippers are the Lakers ugly step brother.
    3) The Clippers owner is the cheapest in the NBA.
    4) The Clippers don't have a player near Dwight's caliber.
    5) I'm sure Dwight, and Paul are buddy's.
    6) The hype surrounding building another superteam.

    All of those are legitimate reasons for Paul to leave the Clippers. It's a terribly run franchise, their coach is a joke, and Blake hasn't improved one bit. Without Paul the Clippers are back in the cellar.
    1. How do you know?
    2. ...okay?
    3. You keep saying years of cheapness doesn't cancel out one year, but how do you this isn't the first year in the step in the right direction? It's obvious, as Kaman said, that the owner is getting older and wants to start to spend...
    4. Blake Griffin is a 22-12 guy, and you say he's closer to Gay than Dwight? What??
    5. So are a lot of other stars...
    6. Dwight would leave the "hype" of LA for Atlanta? No...

    Paul is staying in LA.

  8. #97
    Hall of Famer Mdog1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    12,405
    Thanks
    803
    Thanked 1,753 Times in 1,046 Posts

    Default Re: LA Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    1. How do you know?
    Let's call this the law of PG's. The PG being the best player on your team doesn't lead to titles.
    2. ...okay?
    The Lakers will always be the LA darlings.
    3. You keep saying years of cheapness doesn't cancel out one year, but how do you this isn't the first year in the step in the right direction? It's obvious, as Kaman said, that the owner is getting older and wants to start to spend...
    It's obvious that the last 20+ years should be erased from our minds based on this one year... Yep good idea...
    4. Blake Griffin is a 22-12 guy, and you say he's closer to Gay than Dwight? What??
    There's this thing that I personally refer to as defense. I'm not sure the whole definition, but i'm pretty sure that Blake doesn't do it.
    5. So are a lot of other stars...
    And they joined teams when they had the chance read LeBron/Bosh/Wade, Melo/Stat.
    6. Dwight would leave the "hype" of LA for Atlanta? No...
    Dallas is also an option the last time I looked. The hype of LA is only good if you are contending for titles, which if the Lakers being one of the worst teams in the West is any indication, they obviously aren't contending.

    Paul is staying in LA.
    Call me in July when Paul and Dwight are playing in Atlanta or Dallas.

    This is pretty much like you guys trying to convince yourselves LeBron wasn't going to leave...

    1. We are contenders.
    2. We are his hometown.
    3. Why would he join WADE'S team when he can win a ring on his own.

    Yep LeBron was never going to Miami, until he did.

  9. #98
    Veteran Triumph36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,946
    Thanks
    1,165
    Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,472 Posts

    Default Re: LA Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni

    Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1 View Post
    Call me in July when Paul and Dwight are playing in Atlanta or Dallas.

    This is pretty much like you guys trying to convince yourselves LeBron wasn't going to leave...

    1. We are contenders.
    2. We are his hometown.
    3. Why would he join WADE'S team when he can win a ring on his own.

    Yep LeBron was never going to Miami, until he did.
    with dirk's $23M salary (and marion) on the books...

  10. #99
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    10,498
    Thanks
    6,512
    Thanked 11,536 Times in 4,047 Posts

    Default Re: LA Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni

    Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1 View Post
    A quality front office puts protection on that pick regardless of the so called strength of it, and you can't convince me otherwise. That is a terrible move on their part. They would have been by far the front runners to have Paul, AND Howard on their roster right now, while still retaining Blake if they had put top 3 protection on that pick. Worst case scenario for them is they keep Kyrie, and trade for Dwight (let's face it the package they sent to NOPE was much better than what Orlando got for Howard).
    Their GM has gone on the record saying that the deal would not have happened if the pick had been protected. The pick being unprotected was literally the only reason that Grant/Gilbert were willing to take on Davis' contract, although ironically Davis also ended up reviving that Cavs season by making the team legitimately watchable again.

    Here's the thing that people need to remember: if the rosters don't change, there's no guarantee that pick is number one. The Clippers may have won more or less games with Baron Williams on their roster instead of Mo Williams, and consequently they may have had a different set of lottery numbers. You can't look at the lottery as if it exists in a bubble. It doesn't. That trade drastically altered two teams, and you can't just assume that both would have had the same win/loss record had that trade never happened.

    Sure, it's easy to say, "The Clippers traded away the number one pick to save money." The reality is much more complicated than that.

  11. #100
    Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    4,328
    Thanks
    8,357
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,553 Posts

    Default Re: LA Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    Their GM has gone on the record saying that the deal would not have happened if the pick had been protected. The pick being unprotected was literally the only reason that Grant/Gilbert were willing to take on Davis' contract, although ironically Davis also ended up reviving that Cavs season by making the team legitimately watchable again.

    Here's the thing that people need to remember: if the rosters don't change, there's no guarantee that pick is number one. The Clippers may have won more or less games with Baron Williams on their roster instead of Mo Williams, and consequently they may have had a different set of lottery numbers. You can't look at the lottery as if it exists in a bubble. It doesn't. That trade drastically altered two teams, and you can't just assume that both would have had the same win/loss record had that trade never happened.

    Sure, it's easy to say, "The Clippers traded away the number one pick to save money." The reality is much more complicated than that.
    If anything, Davis' production hurt the Cavs. If the Cavs lost a few more games at the end of the season, they could've ended up with the top 2 picks instead of 1 and 4. If anything, they could've traded out of the number two spot if they didn't value Derrick Williams that high and draft two guys.

  12. #101
    Rising Star brownindian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,607
    Thanks
    659
    Thanked 565 Times in 279 Posts

    Default Re: LA Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni

    Lakers cant even beat a Melo-less Knicks. So what now? Can they qualify for the playoffs?

  13. #102
    Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    4,328
    Thanks
    8,357
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,553 Posts

    Default Re: LA Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni

    Quote Originally Posted by brownindian View Post
    Lakers cant even beat a Melo-less Knicks. So what now? Can they qualify for the playoffs?
    Melo dropped 30 points. Although he only played 22 minutes, the Lakers still got more Melo than they bargained for.

  14. #103
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    10,498
    Thanks
    6,512
    Thanked 11,536 Times in 4,047 Posts

    Default Re: LA Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni

    Quote Originally Posted by RMsDanielGibson View Post
    If anything, Davis' production hurt the Cavs. If the Cavs lost a few more games at the end of the season, they could've ended up with the top 2 picks instead of 1 and 4. If anything, they could've traded out of the number two spot if they didn't value Derrick Williams that high and draft two guys.
    Yeah, but without Davis we don't get Kyrie Irving. I'm willing to take Kyrie Irving and 4th pick instead of the second or third by itself.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:


  16. #104
    Rising Star Tlyons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,344
    Thanks
    4,582
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 544 Posts

    Default Re: LA Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni

    Quote Originally Posted by RMsDanielGibson View Post
    Melo dropped 30 points. Although he only played 22 minutes, the Lakers still got more Melo than they bargained for.
    Dropped 22 points in the first quarter on MWP's corpse as well. Hurt his leg in the third and didn't return.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tlyons For This Useful Post:


  18. #105
    ~
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    20,425
    Thanks
    2,818
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

    Default Re: LA Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni

    Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1 View Post
    Call me in July when Paul and Dwight are playing in Atlanta or Dallas.
    The only thing you can trust is a signature on a contract - and even that not so much (see Love, Kevin).

    The situation is fluid, and Dwight is a flake. Who knows what's important to him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •