Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 99
  1. #16
    . David.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    8,418
    Thanks
    7,616
    Thanked 6,569 Times in 2,720 Posts

    Default Re: The Job Market w/o College

    they normally go for girls for those jobs, and extremely outgoing ones

  2. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,555
    Thanks
    2,737
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,045 Posts

    Default Re: The Job Market w/o College

    If you're depressed sales wouldn't be your gig.

    I went to a cheap two year school for hvac. I ended up doing that for a couple years but got sick of going into 150 degree attics and nasty crawlspaces. I got into appliance repair due to my previous work history with hvac. Love it. I get a company vehicle, laptop, smart phone... the whole nine. We get monthly bonuses if we hit a certain number in repair sales and benefits.

    The point is, if you learn one trade you can use that to your advantage in other fields and industries. You can take it anywhere with you and you'll never have to worry about making shit money. I would say learn a trade and even if you don't like it then at least you always have that to fall back on.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSS2306 For This Useful Post:


  4. #18
    Situational Stopper DCunleaded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    457
    Thanks
    872
    Thanked 532 Times in 190 Posts

    Default Re: The Job Market w/o College

    I bolted college a bit early, and I have found some nice niches in the work force. If it helps, great; if not, good luck.

    The OP mentioned serving/waiting tables, and being decent at it. Upscale restaurants are fantastic places to earn a legit living; if you are near a hotel/resort, find a steakhouse inside it and enjoy. Folks in the tourist/convention center areas near Orlando easily take home over $40K annual (with no state income tax), don't work nights, and only wait on 20-30 people a night. If you aren't near a tourist area, then find a Ruth Chris-type of steakhouse. I loved working in that particular restaurant industry, and it completely bankrolled me going to school during the day for my current career. Banquet serving is a little better money, but is pretty hard work, that I never enjoyed like I did working in steakhouses.

    I ended up taking EMT for a semester at community college, which was literally decided on a coin flip (real estate school or EMT school). During my EMT ride-alongs with Fire Department Paramedics, I got to see how several different FD shifts were.....then I was hooked! Fire school was about 400 total hours, which took about six months to finish. It takes a while to get an FD job currently (unless you are a paramedic), but I have the greatest job and schedule you can imagine. 24 hours on, 48 hours off, 18 shifts a year off; which means I work 102 days a year, not counting OT or sick days. Great comraderie, great job, fighting fire is awesome, helping folks is awesome; however, there is a ton of BS calls where people only call for a ride to the hospital, I am around more bodily waste and cat people than I'd ever imagine, and when bad calls happen it's tough to suck it up and keep going to calls. Most FD jobs start in the mid30s, and if you are in a state with a Union presence then the pay will increase quickly.

  5. #19
    Rising Star MGMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Posts
    1,899
    Thanks
    1,145
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 590 Posts

    Default Re: The Job Market w/o College

    I recently applied for a sales position with manpower group which only required a GED. I have two bachelors degrees wtf. It didn't say experience was required and I thought I had a decent shot.

    Sad day.

  6. #20
    Or Also Schtick Little Seizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,219
    Thanks
    24,608
    Thanked 28,802 Times in 9,198 Posts

    Default Re: The Job Market w/o College

    I was in pharma sales for two years before getting into medical devices. Pharma is lucrative and medical device sales is even more lucrative. The problem with each industry is:

    Pharma- Made a lot of money as a top rep and the benefits were fantastic. Six figures if you're a very good rep and $80k+ if you're good. But...It's literally going out of style. Pharma reps are being phased out altogether. Layoffs are constant nowadays. Any major changes within the company result in layoffs a month later. Frankly, pharma reps are useless and they have a bad reputation for being lazy and passive in the sales world.

    Medical Device- Lot of travel for many of those gigs. Too much travel for me. I drove 50,000 miles in a year in that job and with health issues, my wife was terrified all the time that something would happen to me on the road. It was also extremely high stress aside from the driving, which is typical for a lot of medical device gigs. I got miserable making a lot of money and my wife was even moreso. There are medical device gigs where the reps work cases inside the hospital and they are far more lucrative and less stressful...but very time consuming. The time is worth it for the $250k a year many of them make.

    Medical device is what you should want and the way to get there is through B2B. You need to be aggressive, have at least 4 years of B2B experience, and- 99% of the time- white to get into medical devices.

    There's plenty of other avenues than either of those two, and I like what I'm doing now far more than either one of those, but those are the two I spent the most time in.
    Last edited by Little Seizer; 11-13-2012 at 06:07 PM.
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

    Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

    Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko

  7. #21
    Luke, I am your Father Bill Walton.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Valley
    Posts
    2,328
    Thanks
    2,389
    Thanked 1,748 Times in 673 Posts

    Default Re: The Job Market w/o College

    Quote Originally Posted by DCunleaded View Post
    The OP mentioned serving/waiting tables, and being decent at it. Upscale restaurants are fantastic places to earn a legit living; if you are near a hotel/resort, find a steakhouse inside it and enjoy. Folks in the tourist/convention center areas near Orlando easily take home over $40K annual (with no state income tax), don't work nights, and only wait on 20-30 people a night. If you aren't near a tourist area, then find a Ruth Chris-type of steakhouse. I loved working in that particular restaurant industry, and it completely bankrolled me going to school during the day for my current career. Banquet serving is a little better money, but is pretty hard work, that I never enjoyed like I did working in steakhouses.
    Not waiting tables. I work at a country club in the bag room. I do make tips working there but I really only work 7 months out of the year. Luckily there's a huge amount of contacts their that are major business people. This is in the Akron Canton area. So I'm technically building a network but with really no skill or degree it's useless

    I'd love to work my way up, but have no golf skills really.


    As for sales, I don't see myself as the sales type but who knows. I could see myself being a good waiter tho because I feel easier trying to get tips than to generally sell something.
    Read this:
    As I've said before, I never repeat myself


    Got something you want me to say? Post it here: http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...lton-Post-1000

  8. #22
    Team Player Pick6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    614
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 315 Times in 166 Posts

    Default Re: The Job Market w/o College

    to the op:

    You are right, people would love to be in your position. I go to Akron as well, and pay for all of my living and school expenses. No fun. However, like you brought up, I think the fact that I am paying for everything motivates me.

    I think your choices where you can make a decent living you should look at trade school, or more preferably a blue-collar job that requires no degree. I do not think sales is a good option for you, or anyone really. Screw commission.

    Trade school- I would probably recommend going for electrician, HVAC, or welding. There are many opportunities for welding in Eastern Ohio. With each of those you have the opportunity to start your own business. Hell you could start your own business in anything and not even go to a trade school. I would recommend that you choose something you are passionate about if you decide to go into business. You just have a much better chance of succeeding that way.

    Blue Collar jobs, trade school not required- factory worker, steel-mill worker, coal miner. I can only comment on from where I am from (SE Ohio). You can make a great living doing manual labor. Steel mills and coal miners are the way to go where I am from. My whole family and a lot of my friends are coal miners and you can easily make 100k+ a year, depending on how much you want to work. Not a fan of that? I just read today that the US is expected to be the leading producer of oil IN THE WORLD by 2020. This is expected to happen by fracking. You know where fracking is growing/going to be huge? EASTERN OHIO. I know guys who are making 100/hr (certified welders) working on the pipeline for gas companies. I think signing up for the labor union is a great idea as well. I am not sure how you didnt get accepted for an apprenticeship. However, I have some experience in this area because I was hired by a road construction company to work in the yard for 10/hr. I got a chance to go out on the road once and proved myself. I could have a full-time labor job if I wanted to, however I am in college. Consider looking for a lower paying job that gives you opportunity. I am not in a labor union, but my company could get me into it if I would take the job.

    Sorry about all of my rabbling, but hopefully I gave you some things to think about.

  9. #23
    Hall of Farmer
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    13,635
    Thanks
    921
    Thanked 7,159 Times in 2,541 Posts

    Default Re: The Job Market w/o College

    I'm trying to think about where EASTERN ohio would be.

  10. #24
    Team Player Pick6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    614
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 315 Times in 166 Posts

    Default Re: The Job Market w/o College

    Quote Originally Posted by Chardon View Post
    I'm trying to think about where EASTERN ohio would be.
    All over Eastern OH. I know you Kent students have trouble with geography, and about everything else.


    Mainly concentrated Youngstown and areas South.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ing-state.html

  11. #25
    Catch the wave Gary Barnidge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Soviet Russia
    Posts
    10,735
    Thanks
    3,912
    Thanked 8,512 Times in 3,391 Posts

    Default Re: The Job Market w/o College

    Quote Originally Posted by IO_OGIJ View Post
    I was in pharma sales for two years before getting into medical devices. Pharma is lucrative and medical device sales is even more lucrative. The problem with each industry is:

    Pharma- Made a lot of money as a top rep and the benefits were fantastic. Six figures if you're a very good rep and $80k+ if you're good. But...It's literally going out of style. Pharma reps are being phased out altogether. Layoffs are constant nowadays. Any major changes within the company result in layoffs a month later. Frankly, pharma reps are useless and they have a bad reputation for being lazy and passive in the sales world.

    Medical Device- Lot of travel for many of those gigs. Too much travel for me. I drove 50,000 miles in a year in that job and with health issues, my wife was terrified all the time that something would happen to me on the road. It was also extremely high stress aside from the driving, which is typical for a lot of medical device gigs. I got miserable making a lot of money and my wife was even moreso. There are medical device gigs where the reps work cases inside the hospital and they are far more lucrative and less stressful...but very time consuming. The time is worth it for the $250k a year many of them make.

    Medical device is what you should want and the way to get there is through B2B. You need to be aggressive, have at least 4 years of B2B experience, and- 99% of the time- white to get into medical devices.

    There's plenty of other avenues than either of those two, and I like what I'm doing now far more than either one of those, but those are the two I spent the most time in.
    Unless I'm mistaken, don't most pharma jobs require sales experience? I know the device sales positions do, but I'm talking pharma. I applied to one using a referral from somebody in my sister's law firm. I had a sales internship where I was the top salesman in their history. I applied for a pharma job and never even got a callback. So I imagine, unless you get very lucky, you won't be able to walk right into a pharma sales position without at least a couple of years of experience. I'd also imagine they would prefer experience in medical sales as to any other random industry.
    Ass pennies

  12. #26
    Hall of Farmer
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    13,635
    Thanks
    921
    Thanked 7,159 Times in 2,541 Posts

    Default Re: The Job Market w/o College

    Quote Originally Posted by Pick6 View Post
    All over Eastern OH. I know you Kent students have trouble with geography, and about everything else.


    Mainly concentrated Youngstown and areas South.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ing-state.html
    We Kent students cut up Ohio in 5 areas. NorthEast, Northwest, Southeast, Central and Southwest.

  13. #27
    Team Player Pick6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    614
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 315 Times in 166 Posts

    Default Re: The Job Market w/o College

    Quote Originally Posted by Chardon View Post
    We Kent students cut up Ohio in 5 areas. NorthEast, Northwest, Southeast, Central and Southwest.
    Congrats. There are still basic directions that exist, whether you choose to acknowledge them or not. I was taught them in grade school by "NEWS"- North, East, West, and South.

  14. #28
    Or Also Schtick Little Seizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,219
    Thanks
    24,608
    Thanked 28,802 Times in 9,198 Posts

    Default Re: The Job Market w/o College

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Shakalu View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, don't most pharma jobs require sales experience? I know the device sales positions do, but I'm talking pharma. I applied to one using a referral from somebody in my sister's law firm. I had a sales internship where I was the top salesman in their history. I applied for a pharma job and never even got a callback. So I imagine, unless you get very lucky, you won't be able to walk right into a pharma sales position without at least a couple of years of experience. I'd also imagine they would prefer experience in medical sales as to any other random industry.
    Pharma is ALL about who you know. There's about a 1% chance you'll get into it without knowing the hiring manager or a friend of the hiring manager. They'll hire anybody with any kind of experience if they know them. And at this point in time, I don't think I'd even call getting into pharma lucky. It's a waste of time anymore and not really good for your resume.

    I'd suggest people take their focus off of pharma and focus more on the bigger picture of getting involved with an industry you're interested in OR paying your dues in B2B selling copiers or ADP or some kind of equipment and then springboarding into medical devices.

    As for Bill...if you don't like sales, then it's probably vocational school or go back to college.
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

    Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

    Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko

  15. #29
    Gold Star Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,734
    Thanks
    204
    Thanked 386 Times in 222 Posts

    Default Re: The Job Market w/o College

    Take a class for machining, Cleveland has lots of manufacturing so I'm sure there are plenty of machine shops in the area as well. You will probably start out in the mid $30k range and you can work your way up with experience. I know you don't want to take a "class" but it would be hands on experience preparing you for a job compared to reading a book. Not to say you wouldn't have to study up on terminology and whatnot, but at least anything you learned in class would be directly applied to what you would do as a machinist.

    There are people where I work who are machinists and they are in a union and get paid gobs of money. The union jobs will pay you a lot better than the non-union jobs.

    Further down the road if you were really into it and were able to get the financial backing (sounds like your parents are decently well off), you could look into starting a machine shop. If I had the capital I would quit my job and start a machine shop right now. You literally do maintenance on the machine/tools you use and they do the work, and machining is not cheap for those purchasing the service. Where I work we send some of our parts (metal parts) out to be machined and the invoices we get back are not cheap.
    The most valuable skill in basketball is not the ability to convert difficult shots, but create easy ones.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Northstar For This Useful Post:


  17. #30
    Happy Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,378
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 73 Times in 38 Posts

    Default Re: The Job Market w/o College

    I only went to eighth grade...if i work hard next year i'll make close to a stress free 100k.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •