Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Re: Cavs (absent) Defense (Lloyd/ABJ)

Serious question here. Did Byron Scott play good defense when he was a player? Does anyone remember or know if he did? I know his teams (as J Lloyd points out) have not been good defensively as a coach. I do love how the players always say they play good defense in practice but then lay an egg in games. That is because they scrimmage against each other.
    Funny how when M. Brown was here, we wanted him to hire a good offensive assistant and now with B Scott, we want a defensive assistant. Can we somehow get these guys together?
    WHEN WE FINALLY WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP.......WE WON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

A View Inside the Game Wine and Gold's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,242 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanJapan View Post
    Serious question here. Did Byron Scott play good defense when he was a player? Does anyone remember or know if he did? I know his teams (as J Lloyd points out) have not been good defensively as a coach. I do love how the players always say they play good defense in practice but then lay an egg in games. That is because they scrimmage against each other.
    Funny how when M. Brown was here, we wanted him to hire a good offensive assistant and now with B Scott, we want a defensive assistant. Can we somehow get these guys together?
    They were a track meet team under Riley w/ that era of Laker teams, but ...in the moments late in games when they had to, they could amp up some defensive pressure, even though they weren't known as a defensively dominant team in the least.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wine and Gold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

Our D is a mixed bag. I would say over half the problem is desire and effort, honestly. That's the part that bothers me the most. I understand young guys getting lost in assignments and maybe not understanding when to help and where. But, part of being young is making up for your lack of experience/knowledge with energy and effort. When I see these guys coasting out there it really pisses me off. It's hard for certain guys like KI who have to do so much on offense, but he needs to understand he needs to balance out his efforts a little better for the other end of the court. Offense looks great on the stat sheet, but better D will eventually win us more games we otherwise lose.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RikSmits View Post
    Nice article about Kyrie's defense at Cavs: the blog.

This gif in the article is self-explanatory:

And there is also part 1 on defense at Cavs: the blog.
    That play has to embarrass a good player man. Like seriously he just gave up. Like personally if I saw this play at a team meeting or something I'd be embarrassed

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It's funny because that gif is actually the worst example you could give: it was a rotation by design, kyrie took the SG and waiters went to deron. Automatically. Got caught by a pick though. They switched guys

But then again they probably switched because kyrie was so far behind..

Anyway the point was it wasnt like kyrie was SUPPOSED to be guarding deron when he took that shot and was just randomly standing somewhere. He switched with dion and was standing with the sg.

Team Player
    Thanks

I don't like coach scott's tactic of making the guards go over the screens at all. With the new breed of quick point guards that's just a recipe for disaster...

I hate to say this but I miss Mike Brown's defensive tactics. Say what you want about the guy but he could coach a hell of a defense

Private eyes, Watchin You Tornicade IED's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,692 Times in 2,069 Posts

the team average age is 24. they have 4 starters 25 and under. 3 under 22.

Defense is going to be an issue with squad.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tornicade IED For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,953 Times in 2,095 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wine and Gold View Post
    They were a track meet team under Riley w/ that era of Laker teams, but ...in the moments late in games when they had to, they could amp up some defensive pressure, even though they weren't known as a defensively dominant team in the least.
    They were called Show Time for a reason.

Guardian of the Cavaliers Green Lantern's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
    I don't like coach scott's tactic of making the guards go over the screens at all. With the new breed of quick point guards that's just a recipe for disaster...

I hate to say this but I miss Mike Brown's defensive tactics. Say what you want about the guy but he could coach a hell of a defense
    Playing behind the screen is dangerous,unless the player with the screener pops out to move the ball handler into the D..the player with ball can either take a uncontested shot or allow the pick and roll to develope with no pressure.

Mike Brown didn't lik his players to play under screens.he wanted a double or force the ball out of the player. Pressure the guy with the ball.
    Now the other equation is communication..the two defenders must know how to play the screen and talk to each other ,either stay on one side or switch off.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 525 Posts

Basically people say Kyrie plays bad one on one defense, which may be true. A good defensive team makes up for players who lack certain defensive skills. Good communication and rotations are keys to making stops. Mismatches may happen time and again but if one player can't get in front of his guy, he should be able to yell at the other guys on the floor to pick up his man. It's almost like football, you have to have a vocal leader on the floor who is able to put his guys in the right place. There is no one on this team capable of doing this, besides maybe Andy. And still I'm not sure if he is able to do this.

Coming out of his shell.. Lumthemad's Avatar
    Thanks

There is no excuse for Kyrie's defensive effort sometimes though, which is i think a big complaint from a lot of us watching. Having a system in place where it can benefit the players strengths or lackthereof, is important. Still, for anyone who has played good defense, there is NOTHING more aggrovating than watching someone get blasted continuously just because they don't feel like putting in the effort. In the end, Kyrie will be fine but the sooner he picks up his intensity the better off we'll be as a team defensively. Breakdowns often times start at the top.
    Sometimes madness is the best kind of logic

Thanks

I honestly, for the life of me, cannot fathom the idea of these guys sitting in a room watching film of this crap and letting it continue. Like another poster said, KI has got to be embarassed. His effort is abysmal half the time. There's got to be some pride.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,983 Times in 1,436 Posts

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/video/p...e-coach-121116

In this interview after today's practice, Scott said that Kyrie breaking his hand really set him back from working on his defense this summer and how there's not a ton of time to work on your weaknesses during the season.
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RMsDanielGibson View Post
    http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/video/p...e-coach-121116

In this interview after today's practice, Scott said that Kyrie breaking his hand really set him back from working on his defense this summer and how there's not a ton of time to work on your weaknesses during the season.
    Wow. I'm kind of surprised to hear this. Sounds like bullshit to me. I've never broken my hand, but one would think that wouldn't stop him from working on his D.

Maybe someone who has broken there hand before could educate me on why he can't work on D.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,983 Times in 1,436 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmknJoe7 View Post
    Wow. I'm kind of surprised to hear this. Sounds like bullshit to me. I've never broken my hand, but one would think that wouldn't stop him from working on his D.

Maybe someone who has broken there hand before could educate me on why he can't work on D.
    Coach Scott is the one that said it. Not Kyrie. Remember that, and we all know how Scott is not one to make excuses for his players. But I'm guessing it's because you can't be in a full-contact practice with a broken hand. Kyrie couldn't afford to injure his hand further by participating in full-contact defense and possibly falling over and landing on his hand again or something of the like.

In an interview after the practice on 11/15, Kyrie spoke on his own defensive efforts, saying that he knows that he needs to work on it more and that he needs to get in better shape still.
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16