Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 268
  1. #1
    Adrninistrator Huber.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,751
    Thanks
    2,148
    Thanked 6,415 Times in 2,477 Posts

    Default 2012 Baseball Offseason Player Movement Thread



  2. #2
    Hall of Famer AZ_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,561
    Thanks
    3,029
    Thanked 11,518 Times in 4,833 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Baseball Offseason Player Movement Thread

    The Tigers strategy of all offense and limited pitching will pay great dividends come October.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

  3. #3
    Adrninistrator Huber.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,751
    Thanks
    2,148
    Thanked 6,415 Times in 2,477 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Baseball Offseason Player Movement Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b00bie View Post
    The Tigers strategy of all offense and limited pitching will pay great dividends come October.
    Verlander, Fister, and Scherzer wasn't a bad 1-2-3. Just depends on if they can pitch like they did last year. Which I'm betting they won't.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer AZ_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,561
    Thanks
    3,029
    Thanked 11,518 Times in 4,833 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Baseball Offseason Player Movement Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Huber View Post
    Verlander, Fister, and Scherzer wasn't a bad 1-2-3. Just depends on if they can pitch like they did last year. Which I'm betting they won't.
    I really like Fister for that team and that ballpark, a flyball guy can absolutely THRIVE in that place and Fister knows how to work there. The problem is, he has not proven he can be the innings eater you need in the number two spot in a rotation. He's gone over 170 innings just once in his career. If he can stay healthy for an entire season like he did in 2011, he's a hell of an asset. But he has yet to consistently do that and one wonders how long it will take before multiple injuries start affecting long term effectiveness.

    Scherzer just needs consistency. His K numbers this year were absurd, and if he continues to trend forward he'll take over Fister as the second best pitcher in that rotation without question. Stuff wise he's a CY Young caliber pitcher. Just doesn't have it too often and that hurts him. This will be his age 28 season, he's not just a youngster anymore...he needs to prove he's not Edwin Jackson.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

  5. #5
    I just got a semi macbdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Woodmere
    Posts
    3,457
    Thanks
    1,976
    Thanked 1,391 Times in 676 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Baseball Offseason Player Movement Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b00bie View Post
    I really like Fister for that team and that ballpark, a flyball guy can absolutely THRIVE in that place and Fister knows how to work there. The problem is, he has not proven he can be the innings eater you need in the number two spot in a rotation. He's gone over 170 innings just once in his career. If he can stay healthy for an entire season like he did in 2011, he's a hell of an asset. But he has yet to consistently do that and one wonders how long it will take before multiple injuries start affecting long term effectiveness.

    Scherzer just needs consistency. His K numbers this year were absurd, and if he continues to trend forward he'll take over Fister as the second best pitcher in that rotation without question. Stuff wise he's a CY Young caliber pitcher. Just doesn't have it too often and that hurts him. This will be his age 28 season, he's not just a youngster anymore...he needs to prove he's not Edwin Jackson.
    Scherzer is AJ Burnett Jr, has almost effortless stuff but control and even health are always the question. Signing Hunter, as losing as it doesn't crimp link their pitching spending, was a spline move. Dombrowski knows he isn't winning a World series with Peralta/Young protecting Fielder.

    I got to wonder, could Victor be available? Not sure I want that contact, but Tigers may consider a dump. If the Tribe misses on Youk that could be an option maybe.

  6. #6
    Veteran elcheato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    5,620
    Thanks
    1,428
    Thanked 2,277 Times in 965 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Baseball Offseason Player Movement Thread

    Verlander, Fister, Scherzer and Sanchez is more than enough to win in October. They were in the ALCS a year ago and the World Series this year. They aren't exactly flaming out in the first round.

  7. #7
    Team Player
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BG
    Posts
    670
    Thanks
    2,093
    Thanked 362 Times in 161 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Baseball Offseason Player Movement Thread

    Sanchez probably will get paid by another squad.

    I think I read he prefers the NL..
    If we call an older woman chasing after a younger boy a "Cougar"....... Is it safe to say that we can call an old man chasing after a younger boy a "Nittany Lion"???

  8. #8
    Veteran elcheato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    5,620
    Thanks
    1,428
    Thanked 2,277 Times in 965 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Baseball Offseason Player Movement Thread

    He probably prefers money, and I doubt the Tigers are going to let him walk after dealing their top prospect for him. I guess there's a chance he could leave, but the Tigers will have the highest offer.

  9. #9
    Hall of Famer AZ_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,561
    Thanks
    3,029
    Thanked 11,518 Times in 4,833 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Baseball Offseason Player Movement Thread

    Sanchez is supposedly looking for 6-7 years and 90 million.

    He's leaving.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

  10. #10
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canton, OH
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 40 Times in 19 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Baseball Offseason Player Movement Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by macbdog View Post
    Scherzer is AJ Burnett Jr, has almost effortless stuff but control and even health are always the question. Signing Hunter, as losing as it doesn't crimp link their pitching spending, was a spline move. Dombrowski knows he isn't winning a World series with Peralta/Young protecting Fielder.

    I got to wonder, could Victor be available? Not sure I want that contact, but Tigers may consider a dump. If the Tribe misses on Youk that could be an option maybe.

    Hoping on with Boobie, I love Doug Fister too (full disclosure: I'm a Seattle Mariners fan), I hated when Seattle traded him. He's still a very good #3 if he's not a #2.

    I think Victor will be available...I don't see the Tigers keeping Cabrera, Fielder and Martinez with the defensive help that they need. I was hoping that the M's could potentially land V-Mart, not sure if the M's would give up a pitching prospect (Seattle has some good prospects in the minors) or someone like the oft-injured (and one time Indian) Franklin Guttierez.

  11. #11
    Hall of Famer AZ_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,561
    Thanks
    3,029
    Thanked 11,518 Times in 4,833 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Baseball Offseason Player Movement Thread

    Vic is due $25M over the next two years, coming off an ACL I'm not so sure I'd be interested in that.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,728
    Thanks
    1,250
    Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,376 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Baseball Offseason Player Movement Thread

    We can't even say "At least we're not Detroit" anymore.

  13. #13
    Hall of Famer AZ_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,561
    Thanks
    3,029
    Thanked 11,518 Times in 4,833 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Baseball Offseason Player Movement Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimme Some Mo View Post
    We can't even say "At least we're not Detroit" anymore.
    Sin,

    2006


    Dynamite addition to the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

  14. #14
    Adrninistrator Huber.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,751
    Thanks
    2,148
    Thanked 6,415 Times in 2,477 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Baseball Offseason Player Movement Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimme Some Mo View Post
    We can't even say "At least we're not Detroit" anymore.
    Until you can't buy a house in Detroit for $1, then Cleveland still has the edge.
    Last edited by Huber.; 11-15-2012 at 02:54 PM.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huber. For This Useful Post:


  16. #15
    All Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    3,745
    Thanks
    1,929
    Thanked 2,813 Times in 947 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Baseball Offseason Player Movement Thread


    Browns QB wish list
    1) Blake Bortles
    2) Teddy Bridgewater
    3) Johnny Manziel
    4) Jimmy Garoppolo
    5) Derek Carr

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •