Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 878 Posts

Default Re: Kyrie out 4 weeks with hairline fracture of left index finger

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_K View Post
    that story behind that picture turned out to be that the dude was in the military and was wheelchair bound for a couple years. dont feel like a dick or anything

Some might say poor taste, I say the perfect picture for this situation.

**lost this privilege** Donkey Kong Champion Ocean Force Champion Cell Defense Champion Bird Saver Champion Jigsaw: Rocky Waters Champion Brave Old World Champion Jigsaw: Boats And Fire Hydrant Champion Jigsaw: Narrow Street Champion A Miko Tale Marionette: Another Tale Champion Balancing Mathai Champion Jigsaw: Red Toadstool Champion Jigsaw: Wood Formation Champion 4Blocks Champion CircusCircus Champion Jigsaw: Slate Mine Champion Spencer Hawes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,647 Times in 687 Posts

This injury means Dion will get more playing time and see if he can be "the man" out there. I expect Dion to fully embrace the alpha dog in him even though it might get bumpy at times.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,854 Times in 650 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1 View Post
    Adding weight whether it is muscle or not doesn't prevent injuries. Adding muscle to your upper body, while doing nothing for your lower body will actually increase your chance for injury because it puts increased pressure on your knees and ankles.

Not that I think he doesn't work out his legs, but if he only concentrates on upper body then it's not a good thing.

Added weight may put more stress on joints and what not but how can adding more muscle not provide more protection from bumps and falls? You're essentially just adding more padding between your bones and whatever you make contact with. It wouldn't have helped with his finger but with the way Kyrie attacks the basket, I wouldn't mind him adding some muscle.

And being a professional athlete and all, I think Kyrie would know to work his legs as well...
    Last edited by Biw; 11-21-2012 at 06:42 AM.
    "You drew a picture of my morning, but you couldn't make my day."
    -Naughty by Nature

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Biw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 878 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Biw View Post
    Added weight may put more stress on joints and what not but how can adding more muscle not provide more protection from bumps and falls? You're essentially just adding more padding between your bones and whatever you make contact with. It wouldn't have helped with his finger but with the way Kyrie attacks the basket, I wouldn't mind him adding some muscle.

And being a professional athlete and all, I think Kyrie would know to work his legs as well...
    I'm pretty sure he would work his legs too, but if he didn't then adding weight to his upper body, without adding strength to his legs would put his legs at a higher risk for injury. You see it all the time with people who have a little person complex, and only work out their upper bodies. They get big arms, chest, and shoulders, but then play a game of basketball and blow out a knee because their tendons, ligaments, and joints are not used to the added weight. There is such thing as adding too much muscle too fast.

It's like when someone takes steroids. The gains are massive, but until your body is used to the increase in weight (bearing), and the amount of weight you can lift tendons are sore, and it puts stress on your joints.

I'm not saying Kyrie shouldn't work out obviously. Just that he should slowly add the muscle to his body, and keep it proportioned to reduce the risk of lower body injury.

My overall point is, and I doubt it would apply to Kyrie, don't ignore your biggest muscle group guys. It's cool to have 17 inch arms, but it's even cooler to be able to play a game of basketball without blowing a knee...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mdog1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

And none of this added muscle talk has one thing to do with the majority of KI's injuries.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Giambiwannabe7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 812 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuggles View Post
    "injury prone" is a subjective term made up by fans

understanding things like causality and biology are super duper hard while magical thinking is incredibly easy
    the actual term maybe made up, but regardless of what you call it some bodies just are prone to getting injured. Case in point I have a friend that when she was 13-16 was in line to be one of the top female soccer goal tenders in the country. She tore her ACL 3 times in that time (well actually it was over 5 years), and through everything doctors have diagnosed/observed/whatever her with an unusual gap distance in her knee, which puts extra stress on her knee ligaments. So basically you can throw causality out the window and basically, yes 'injury prone' does happen.

that said i have no idea the biology of KI but he has now broken 2 bones in a year (both in his hand), and sustained other serious injuries seems to indicate he may just have some sort of physical biological impairment
    Last edited by bob2the2nd; 11-21-2012 at 08:12 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob2the2nd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 28,829 Times in 9,211 Posts

That girl is injury prone like bob is friend-zone prone.
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko

Thanks
    Thanked 23,891 Times in 3,844 Posts

Kyrie does need to get more commited in the weight room. He's a very naturally gifted kid, the game has always come so easy to him. He shows up at camps a little out of shape and he's still destroying players that have been there for weeks and are in the best shape of their lives. There was never any need in Kyrie's mind to spend too much time in the weightroom in highshool and college...he thought time was better spent on the court. Now that he's playing in the NBA, it has to be a priority. I think it's a little more immaturity than laziness...he's only 20. But, he does need to make a bigger commitment to weight training, stretching and working with trainers during his free-time. Weight training will increase his bone density and decrease the chance of injuries in the future.

13. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Maximus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 604 Posts

How many injuries can Kyrie have before we stick the label of "injury prone" on him. I'm not willing to say it now, but if these kinds of injuries continue to occur...

If Dion can play well and actually get this team some wins, I would expect him to get some exposure and recognition on ROY rankings. It would be nice to have someone capable of actually running an offense though...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,983 Times in 1,436 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Kyrie does need to get more commited in the weight room. He's a very naturally gifted kid, the game has always come so easy to him. He shows up at camps a little out of shape and he's still destroying players that have been there for weeks and are in the best shape of their lives. There was never any need in Kyrie's mind to spend too much time in the weightroom in highshool and college...he thought time was better spent on the court. Now that he's playing in the NBA, it has to be a priority. I think it's a little more immaturity than laziness...he's only 20. But, he does need to make a bigger commitment to weight training, stretching and working with trainers during his free-time. Weight training will increase his bone density and decrease the chance of injuries in the future.
    I'll back that up. Weight training has shown to improve bone density beyond what normal daily living provides. Weight training also strengthens tendons and ligaments so that sudden pressure on them will less easily strain them. Added muscle from weight training also adds as a structural support for bones just like bones add structural support for the muscles.

Also, MDog, there's no way in hell that any professional athlete that is worth their salt is skipping leg training. I'm positive that no NBA player is skipping leg training including Kyrie. Only weekend warriors and frat boys skip leg day.
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 568 Posts

I knew we should have drafted Damien Lillard
    "I'd rather fight somebody else on the other team than one of my teammates," Waiters said after practice. "That's the way it is. That's the way I was brought up. I feel as though we say we're family, then we're a family and I'm going to look out for you to the best of my abilities. All the other stuff is foolishness." - Dion Waiters

Leaping strong buildings!
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 1,429 Posts

Why did we draft this injury prone stiff? Totally locked ourselves out of the Damian Lillard sweepstakes

Thanks

I'm not sure if anyone has league pass but I watched the game tonight from Orlando perspective. On four different occasions Matt Guokas insinuated that the Cavs were tanking. "thompson and and zeller playing with broken bones in their face, tape a finger up and play", "4weeks for a broken finger? we all want to be competitive don't we?" I found it interesting that he was openly commenting on it, without knowing the extent of the injury its hard to say who is right / wrong especially with the reliance kyrie has on his handle. But I thought it was interesting how other bad teams were perceiving us.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Zen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,419 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    I remember watching an interview with Kyrie and he said he was lifting weights all summer and gained a lot of weight then he broke his hand and lost muscle. Then he gained some of it back but then had his teeth taken out and got sick and lost some again.
    Last edited by Huber.; 11-24-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Co-Owner Paddy's Pub Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 783 Posts

It's a conditioning issue with Irving's defense. He openly admitted in the past that he'd save his energy for offense. Whats the solution? get more energy! Duh!

Clearly a lack of effort, but he's AND1 defender bad right now. It's like common Kyrie, as many points as you can score thats going to be neutralized by giving up all of those points on defense.