Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Resume Advice

Thanks

Default Re: Resume Advice

also guys, where have you had success finding jobs? I got my current job through careerbuilder. i've also used Monster, indeed, and craigslist. it seems like all of the postings on craigslist end up being scams anyways. are there any better ones out there?
    "You can't fuck the prom queen E until she knows that your girlfriend just jerked you off under the table!"
    ---Ari Gold

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonmchugh View Post
    thanks northstar. i appreciate it. I mean I like my job. I like talking to people and helping them with any problems that I have. I use excell and word throughout the day. I also have a computer skills section at the bottom of my resume as well. I don't know if I should put that on my resume but I've read that it's a good idea to put that on there.

I do have good customer service skills. strong data entry (I can type up to 75 wpm) so I'm farily knowledgable with computers. thanks for all the help guys. realy appreciate it. figured id get laughed at creating another thread
    All of this should be on there.
    "I'd rather fight somebody else on the other team than one of my teammates," Waiters said after practice. "That's the way it is. That's the way I was brought up. I feel as though we say we're family, then we're a family and I'm going to look out for you to the best of my abilities. All the other stuff is foolishness." - Dion Waiters

Gold Star Member
    Thanks

thanks northstar. i appreciate it. I mean I like my job. I like talking to people and helping them with any problems that I have. I use excell and word throughout the day. I also have a computer skills section at the bottom of my resume as well. I don't know if I should put that on my resume but I've read that it's a good idea to put that on there.

I do have good customer service skills. strong data entry (I can type up to 75 wpm) so I'm farily knowledgable with computers. thanks for all the help guys. realy appreciate it. figured id get laughed at creating another thread
    Definitely put the computer skills on the resume. I have them at the bottom of mine. I sent you my resume and feel free to send me PM's if you have any questions. The computer skills I listed in mine have quite a few engineering programs if you are wondering what some of them are, but you should put anything that you use or have used.

also guys, where have you had success finding jobs? I got my current job through careerbuilder. i've also used Monster, indeed, and craigslist. it seems like all of the postings on craigslist end up being scams anyways. are there any better ones out there?
    The job I got was posted in the local newspaper. I used Careerbuilder to find other jobs though. I think the other one I found was a local business that I found on the local university's tech center site and then I searched their site for openings and applied to the one I would have been most qualified for... you might see if that route helps you more than the big sites. Local newspapers or simply company sites. That tells them you didn't just type a job description into a search engine.
    Last edited by Northstar; 12-05-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    The most valuable skill in basketball is not the ability to convert difficult shots, but create easy ones.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,829 Times in 2,831 Posts

I was a recruiter and despite being one of the worst employees in the world, I generally never get turned down for a job (partly due to my particularly well written resumes and part due to my interview skills)

Lie on your resume. But make sure the lies are somewhat grounded in reality and are wrapped up in a nice bow. Actual companies, ideally that you worked for. Put down some hot points on what you accomplished at each job.

What we look for with resumes is longevity at positions, experience in a linear field, any sort of advancement from within is a positive, and what you generally accomplished there. You can create references with google voice numbers, and hopefully you have 3 friends that arent absolute dickheads that could vouch for you so you get a job.

Ive said it before John Mccugh and Ill say it again, get a fucking older brother
    Last edited by David.; 12-05-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Veteran 3D Poker Champion NumberTris Champion Shape and Color Champion Raining Day Champion Sneaky's Road Trip - Istanbul Champion Up Champion Code Breakers Champion JDeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,508 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_K View Post
    Lie on your resume.
    Sigh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmons
    Phil Jackson ran the Triangle offense. Mike Brown runs the "If you cross midcourt with the ball, you get to keep it and shoot" offense.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDeezy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I want to live my life like Dave_k

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pick6 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,829 Times in 2,831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Theophylaktikos View Post
    Sigh....
    Lol. I would never, ever get a job if I put down the actual length of times worked at each job and the number of jobs I have. Gotta eat fool, you either gonna take a spear or a spoon into the jungle

Thanks
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 799 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_K View Post
    Lol. I would never, ever get a job if I put down the actual length of times worked at each job and the number of jobs I have. Gotta eat fool, you either gonna take a spear or a spoon into the jungle
    I omit time at each job and trivial jobs on my resume....that's not lying. Now, if they ask you......well, I tell them.
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!

RCF All-Time Rank : posts #36 rep #44

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Mar For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 378 Posts

I once posted an unpaid internship online and got over 100 responses in a day. A couple had masters degrees. Had any of those people showed up at our office with their resume and asked who they needed to talk to in order to get a job, they would probably get at least 2 interviews... So in true zig-when-they-zag spirit, I suggest going to specific companies with your base resume tailored to the position that you know that they have open, and (gasP!), introducing yourself. It's such a foreign concept to put yourself out there, and perhaps even (gasp) get rejected, that you will be way ahead of unemployed people who consider job hunting spending 2 hours/day on craigslist and monster. Since you are working right now, this will require some strategery - interviews during lunch breaks or before/after work, or asking if a decision maker could do coffee before work or happy hour after work.

The great news is that your "story" still fits: you have a job. You aren't desperate, you just want something better. To be jobless and looking is to be a dumped girlfriend: you might get another date with someone, but they will always wonder what you were missing that caused someone to end it.
    This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to natedagg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 30,656 Times in 9,772 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by natedagg View Post
    I once posted an unpaid internship online and got over 100 responses in a day. A couple had masters degrees. Had any of those people showed up at our office with their resume and asked who they needed to talk to in order to get a job, they would probably get at least 2 interviews... So in true zig-when-they-zag spirit, I suggest going to specific companies with your base resume tailored to the position that you know that they have open, and (gasP!), introducing yourself. It's such a foreign concept to put yourself out there, and perhaps even (gasp) get rejected, that you will be way ahead of unemployed people who consider job hunting spending 2 hours/day on craigslist and monster. Since you are working right now, this will require some strategery - interviews during lunch breaks or before/after work, or asking if a decision maker could do coffee before work or happy hour after work.

The great news is that your "story" still fits: you have a job. You aren't desperate, you just want something better. To be jobless and looking is to be a dumped girlfriend: you might get another date with someone, but they will always wonder what you were missing that caused someone to end it.
    Yes.
    Thanks everyone for the LeBron bets. All debts are paid on your behalves. I was happy to lose.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 799 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by natedagg View Post

True, but this is where you must tell them the reasons why you dumped them, or if not, why you should have, without directly lambasting them.

Also, in this economy, I think companies realize what they are dealing with. I think the fact you have people with masters degrees applying for your job (I'm not sure, but you sounded surprised) shows you how saturated the market is.
    Last edited by Lord Mar; 12-07-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!

RCF All-Time Rank : posts #36 rep #44

Thanks
    Thanked 2,083 Times in 1,152 Posts

I found my job on indeed. I like it a lot, but I've had several companies contact me about switching not to long ago. Once you get your resume together, start using LinkedIn and Monster to post the resume. You'll get a few sales job calls. I got a few, but it does turn out to be more then just that. Even got a few interviews.

Ultimately I decided to stay where I'm at right now. At the end of the day, I decided it was best for me even though it paid less. My work schedule is more flexible then it would have been in any of the other settings.
    OU... OH YEAH!!!!

9/13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip
    Sanchize and the boys start their reign of dominance tonight...
    Someone has a CHIP on his shoulder (you know who you are)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Optomist View Post
    I found my job on indeed. I like it a lot, but I've had several companies contact me about switching not to long ago. Once you get your resume together, start using LinkedIn and Monster to post the resume. You'll get a few sales job calls. I got a few, but it does turn out to be more then just that. Even got a few interviews.

Ultimately I decided to stay where I'm at right now. At the end of the day, I decided it was best for me even though it paid less. My work schedule is more flexible then it would have been in any of the other settings.
    Yeah I'm in the same boat that you are in. I found my job through career builder. I like my job. There is room to move uP but right now It pays jack shit.

I get call backs a lot for jobs but it seems like they are all for th

Thanks
    Thanked 8,129 Times in 3,444 Posts

I have a job too. I make shit money and I hate every second I spend there. I have a degree and am not using it, as I explained in the other thread recently. I've only been looking for jobs in Columbus though, I wonder if it's time to start expanding and give up on staying near home. I mean, I'm 23 and haven't done jack shit, it might be time to kick it into overdrive. I want a career, or at least a job where I make enough money to where I can start considering going back to school. I want to start saving money, all that jazz. The other problem is I really don't know what I want to do, my Comm degree doesn't seem to be worth much (I know, everything is what you make of it) and I don't even like that field anymore anyways, although I'd be willing to use it to find a solid job making 30-35 grand a year (a pipe dream at this point judging from my current results) and then springboard from there. Military was the only thing I ever really had a burning desire to do, and we all know how that worked out.

Anyways, I've been using OhioMeansJobs.com.

I wish everyone else in my position the best, it's not easy looking for that spark.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,083 Times in 1,152 Posts

Yeah I'm in the same boat that you are in. I found my job through career builder. I like my job. There is room to move uP but right now It pays jack shit.

I get call backs a lot for jobs but it seems like they are all for th
    I've had the opportunity to move up, but turned it down because I don't want to move out of Ohio.
    OU... OH YEAH!!!!

9/13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip
    Sanchize and the boys start their reign of dominance tonight...
    Someone has a CHIP on his shoulder (you know who you are)