Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Team Player
    Thanks

Default Re: Browns vs KC Chiefs 1pm 12/9/12 Cleveland Browns Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I say there is at best a 10% chance of that happening, but when was the last time the Browns were not mathematically eliminated with only 3 games to go?
    Technically, it's been pretty close every year because around this time, there is pretty much always a chance the 6th place conference team could finish with 8+ losses and the Browns could get 8+ wins.

Imagine if the Browns got to play in the NFC West in 2010.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,667 Times in 2,573 Posts

Relevant:

Last edited by Huber.; 12-10-2012 at 02:14 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Huber. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrie To The View Post
    Just tested out the ESPN playoff machine, the only team that could beat us in an 8-8 tiebreaker would be Buffalo, because they beat us earlier this season. We would make it in over the Jets & Dolphins, for whatever reason. Probably strength of schedule.

Granted, the Jets, Steelers, and Bengals can still get 9 wins.
    I could be wrong but I dont think it matters Buffalo beat us, it goes by SOS and ours is harder than theirs.
    "I'd rather fight somebody else on the other team than one of my teammates," Waiters said after practice. "That's the way it is. That's the way I was brought up. I feel as though we say we're family, then we're a family and I'm going to look out for you to the best of my abilities. All the other stuff is foolishness." - Dion Waiters

Thanks
    Thanked 6,667 Times in 2,573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FiveThous View Post
    I could be wrong but I dont think it matters Buffalo beat us, it goes by SOS and ours is harder than theirs.
    No it goes head to head then who has the better division record and then best won-lost-tied percentage in common games. If we would run the table and the Steelers/Bengals go 1-2 we would have a better division record than than the Bengals and Steelers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 842 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FiveThous View Post
    head to head doesn't matter for draft pick, but does for playoffs

The Original HN3108 bigfoot5415's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Huber View Post
    No it goes head to head then who has the better division record and then best won-lost-tied percentage in common games. If we would run the table and the Steelers/Bengals go 1-2 we would have a better division record than than the Bengals and Steelers.
    Here are the rules:
    NFL Tiebreaking Procedures
    The six postseason participants from each conference are seeded as follows:

1.The division champion with the best record.
    2.The division champion with the second-best record.
    3.The division champion with the third-best record.
    4.The division champion with the fourth-best record.
    5.The Wild Card club with the best record.
    6.The Wild Card club with the second-best record.
    The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
    If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
    1.Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
    2.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
    4.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    5.Strength of victory.
    6.Strength of schedule.
    7.Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8.Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9.Best net points in common games.
    10.Best net points in all games.
    11.Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12.Coin toss

Three or More Clubs
    (Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

1.Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
    2.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
    4.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    5.Strength of victory.
    6.Strength of schedule.
    7.Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9.Best net points in common games.
    12.Coin toss

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM
    If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1.If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
    2.If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.
    Two Clubs
    1.Head-to-head, if applicable.
    2.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    4.Strength of victory.
    5.Strength of schedule.
    6.Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    7.Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8.Best net points in conference games.
    9.Best net points in all games.
    10.Best net touchdowns in all games.
    11.Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs
    (Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1.Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    2.Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    4.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    5.Strength of victory.
    6.Strength of schedule.
    9.Best net points in conference games.
    12.Coin toss
    When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

The first assumption is that we finish 8-8. Without that we will not get into the playoffs.
    The second assumption is that none of the elidgible teams finish with better than 8 wins.

If Cincy and Pit finishes 8-8 we are in. We would have swept Pit and have a better division record than Cincy.

As for SD, NYJ, BUF, & MIA:
    We would own the head to head vs SD
    We would own the Conf record against MIA

Buf could beat us if they also go 8-8, but they play Seattle, MIA & the Jets. In this case we would want the Jets to win if at that point Buffalo is 7-8 and the Jets are 7-8. Buffalo would then be eliminated and the Jets would be eliminated because of their head to hear loss with Pitt.
    Wiggins Watch 2014

The Original HN3108 bigfoot5415's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BannerYearz View Post
    First of all, obligatory Jim Mora press conference quote.

Secondly, to answer this specific quote, Denver probably can't rest their starters because they want home field against Baltimore and the Pats and, if they can, Houston. But even if they play all-out the next 3 weeks they simply don't look like a contender without Willis McGahee.An 8-8 season would be great simply because our city hasn't made it to .500 in any sport since 7/8/2010 (even though the Indians got close in '11 and looked like they were going to pull it off this past spring.)

Those of you who "understand" and "don't have hard feelings toward" LeBron need to reread those last few words about that streak. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that we had two very good teams left in town in the mid-90s to root for makes him worse than Art Modell.
    Actually if NE wins tonight, they will be tied with DEN at 10-3 with 3 games each remaining. However, NE owns the tie breaker so the Broncos would need to finish with one less loss than the Pats. The Pats have a confused San Fran team, the Dolphins, and the Jaguars. There is a very good chance Fox will play his starters for a half to get a lead, but the odds of catching NE bc of the tie breaker is very slim.

However, if BAL wins against DEN next week and NE wins this week. DEN would need to win out to get home field and NE would have to go 2-2. The more I think about it, the more I see Denver resting their starters regardless of wins. Theyre good enough to win without home field and have many banged up/older players.
    Wiggins Watch 2014

Thanks
    Thanked 2,913 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Amazes me how easily Cleveland fans are conned into this shit. The team is 5-8 after wins over the shittiest teams in the league and a team without their star QB, and suddenly playoffs are guaransheed next year. Hell, maybe even this year (they're 5-8 folks)!

I'm a Browns fan, so I'm not gonna say I'll enjoy the 2-8 start, but...to hear your excuses about it, it may be slightly worth it.
    The Chiefs and Steelers both won last week, even being the shittiest team in the league and/or on their 3rd string QB. I think you need to be less cynical and enjoy the wins when we get them.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,470 Times in 2,882 Posts

For the record, if I am right, next season we play the NFC North and the AFC East. Could be QUITE an easy schedule.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pyro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,078 Times in 3,434 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DDJ7777 View Post
    The Chiefs and Steelers both won last week, even being the shittiest team in the league and/or on their 3rd string QB. I think you need to be less cynical and enjoy the wins when we get them.
    I enjoyed it.

And wouldn't have said anything had somebody not called me out on some bet that he will surely lose.

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro Kinesis View Post
    For the record, if I am right, next season we play the NFC North and the AFC East. Could be QUITE an easy schedule.
    Just as we were supposed to have one of the hardest schedules in NFL history this year, and a very easy one (that ended up being 6th in the league in SOS%, although some people say it was still easy) last year.

We also get, probably, Jacksonville and Kansas City if we don't catch Pittsburgh or Cincy in the division standings.
    Need help picking a new user name; I have jinxed two Browns executives in a row.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,849 Times in 2,748 Posts

Playoff talk

God bless you guys...I love it!

That said, the Browns finish 5-11.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,614 Times in 9,758 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I enjoyed it.

And wouldn't have said anything had somebody not called me out on some bet that he will surely lose.
    Dude, you would have said something. If you're going to try to incite a riot during a game where the Browns are thrashing a team, you were going to say something regardless. And even if you weren't...you troll in a whiny, out of control beta type of way. You come in like a toddler. No center of gravity. No argument structured in a way that can't be defeated.

I want you to think about all this before next week.
    I am also known as Liberace.

Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

BET SLOTS FULL- 6/28/2014

Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko, MalTalm, pr26. Vindicate2, Warren G

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Oi For This Useful Post:

Working the media SpanishCavsfan's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't care if it's not likely, the fact of the matter is a Browns playoff berth could come down to the final game of the season. Browns vs. Steelers, our hated rivals, fighting for our playoff lives. Who wouldn't want to see that game? Losing would kill me, but winning would honestly make me cry.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SpanishCavsfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,706 Times in 1,576 Posts

For clarification: the only tiebreaker the Browns would lose is to Buffalo... Otherwise in any scenario where they tie with a team at 8-8, they're in... Right now, they need the Steelers & Bengals to do no better than 1-2 the rest of the season, the Jets to do no better than 2-1 and they need to win out...

Pittsburgh finishes out @ DAL, vs. CIN and vs. CLE...
    Cincinnati finishes out @PHI, @PIT and vs Bal...
    New York finishes out @TEN, vs SD and @BUF...

Not likely but possible...