Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: The Dog Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 7,412 Times in 2,191 Posts

Default Re: The Dog Thread

My almost 13 year old pit got very sick from Pancreatitis. My wife and I were afraid this was the end for our "oldest child.' I am happy to say $1500 and 2 weeks later our dog is healthy and back to his old self. I am realistic that it only gave him a year or two longer, but since we can afford it, I felt it was money well spent. Truly our pit has been the best dog ever, our at least to us.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,829 Times in 2,831 Posts

seriously considering getting a second dog. Morgan couldnt be happier with her dog friend, but she is only a visitor.

saw three dogs wth my child:

1: very cute.. playful as hell.. athletic.. submissive to morgan.. barked while in cage.

2. cute, morgan licked her ears which means she really likes her.. this dog didnt give a shit about morgan. barked while in cage.

3. sweet dog.. nibbles hands, softly... got along with morgan really well.. not the prettiest dog. DOES NOT BARK.

i know thats not a lot to go off of, but is there a clear cut winner as to which one to get?
    Things Dave K was right about:

Dion Waiters will be good
    Anthony Bennett will be good
    Mike Brown will be a fucking idiot, again
    The board sucks without DaveK

And thats practically all. Wrong about almost everything else

Thanks
    Thanked 30,638 Times in 9,765 Posts

I never understood the "don't get puppy mill dogs from pet shops" take.

All dogs need a home. Why discriminate based on where they were bred from? Eventually all these dogs end up in kill shelters if they aren't given homes. Why is a puppy mill any worse than a dog found wandering the street or pulled out of a dog fighting ring as a bait dog?
    Thanks everyone for the LeBron bets. All debts are paid on your behalves. I was happy to lose.

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,744 Times in 4,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by _____ View Post
    I never understood the "don't get puppy mill dogs from pet shops" take.

All dogs need a home. Why discriminate based on where they were bred from? Eventually all these dogs end up in kill shelters if they aren't given homes. Why is a puppy mill any worse than a dog found wandering the street or pulled out of a dog fighting ring as a bait dog?
    Because buying them from puppy mills encourages puppy mills to keep doing what they do. If no one bought the puppies that came from mills, the mills would inevitably go out of business.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,638 Times in 9,765 Posts

The way to stop them is to regulate them or crack down on them harder if they're doing something unethical or illegal. Getting people to stop buying something en masse is extremely difficult unless you can prove to them that it's killing them. It's why cigarette smoking has gone way down over the years, but why fast food is still doing just fine.

Legislation and law enforcement will need to step in, because people aren't going to stop buying puppies at whatever place is most convenient to them.

Not buying the dogs once they exist will just get them killed.
    Last edited by The Oi; 02-19-2014 at 07:22 AM.

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,744 Times in 4,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by _____ View Post
    The way to stop them is to regulate them or crack down on them harder if they're doing something unethical or illegal. Getting people to stop buying something en masse is extremely difficult unless you can prove to them that it's killing them. It's why cigarette smoking has gone way down over the years, but why fast food is still doing just fine.

Legislation and law enforcement will need to step in, because people aren't going to stop buying puppies at whatever place is most convenient to them.

Not buying the dogs once they exist will just get them killed.
    I agree that legislation and law enforcement should be much more involved than they are, but until they do it's up to people to stop supporting practices that are abusive to animals. Plus, why anyone would want to shell out big bucks to buy a puppy mill dog is beyond me. You're probably going to end up paying thousands in medical bills over the life of the dog that could have been likely avoided by adopting a mix or buying from a good breeder (for a comparable price, no less!). Of course, the medical future of any dog is a crap shoot, but there's no denying that puppy mill dogs are much, much more prone to having severe medical problems than mixes or well-bred dogs.

And let's be real here...when puppies end up in kill shelters, they almost always get adopted or picked up by a non-kill humane society before they are put down. Puppies are easy to adopt out. It's adult dogs that are the ones really at risk at kill shelters, and that's not really relevant to the issue at hand.