Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 348
  1. #196
    Rising Star bcort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,681
    Thanks
    229
    Thanked 841 Times in 356 Posts

    Default Re: Connecticut School Shooting


  2. The Following User Says Thank You to bcort For This Useful Post:


  3. #197
    Adrninistrator Huber.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,760
    Thanks
    2,152
    Thanked 6,423 Times in 2,482 Posts

    Default Re: Connecticut School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by bcort View Post
    Anyone else find this kinda messed up?

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huber. For This Useful Post:


  5. #198
    Rising Star bcort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,681
    Thanks
    229
    Thanked 841 Times in 356 Posts

    Default Re: Connecticut School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Huber View Post
    Anyone else find this kinda messed up?
    See where it's from, too?

  6. #199
    Subliminal Ignatius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,825
    Thanks
    5,516
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 745 Posts

    Default Re: Connecticut School Shooting

    It's brilliant is what it is.
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!


    RCF All-Time Rank : rep #38 posts #34

  7. #200
    formerly LJ4MVP KI4MVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11,068
    Thanks
    2,697
    Thanked 5,956 Times in 2,180 Posts

    Default Re: Connecticut School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Huber View Post
    Anyone else find this kinda messed up?
    My 11 year old daughter came to us crying last night because she is now afraid to go to school.

  8. #201
    Adrninistrator Huber.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,760
    Thanks
    2,152
    Thanked 6,423 Times in 2,482 Posts

    Default Re: Connecticut School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by KI4MVP View Post
    My 11 year old daughter came to us crying last night because she is now afraid to go to school.
    Which is why you shouldn't sum this tragedy up in a stupid political cartoon.

  9. #202
    Subliminal Ignatius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,825
    Thanks
    5,516
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 745 Posts

    Default Re: Connecticut School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Huber View Post
    Which is why you shouldn't sum this tragedy up in a stupid political cartoon.
    I'm not catching the correlation here. This is real life. Deal with it or get left behind. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. It's very unfortunate.
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!


    RCF All-Time Rank : rep #38 posts #34

  10. #203
    Co-Owner Paddy's Pub Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Philly
    Posts
    2,081
    Thanks
    3,381
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 783 Posts

    Default Re: Connecticut School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Prove It View Post
    If I was confronted with a situation like this unarmed, I'd be interested in what people with gun knowledge would recommend that I take to save myself and others. Here are a couple of examples:

    (1) In an open space like a mall food court and a shooter with an automatic weapon
    (2) Open space, non automatic, say a handgun
    (3) Closed space like a classroom or office, automatic weapon
    (4) Closed space, non automatic

    Let's say in the closed space scenario that they have locked the doors and nobody can get out. I don't know why and I don't even know if this would be the case if it actually happened, but deep down I believe that I could attack a shooter in this situation.

    Would I want to or would I be better off running? What do you do here?

    I feel the same way as you Jigo, I know that I would personally intervene. I think when you enter into a life or death situation, your fight or flight response kicks in and depending on if you one to flee or fight, your personality will have a large impact on your ability to follow through. But mothers have lifted cars off of their children, guys have climbed for hours out of a crevasse in frozen glaciers... You name it... When your life is on the line, you go into another mode that cannot normally be accessed.

    We have to look at this situation honestly. An armed assailant with multiple magazines for reload.... Obviously mass murderers are going for as many kills as possible.... As I was saying before, the quicker the assailant can be taken down, the more lives could potentially be saved.

    But then you have idiots in our society that think stupid shit like "just wait for the police to arrive!" "we can't go promoting guns through teachers"

    And I'm responding with a resounding NO! while you are waiting on the police to arrive, the shooter is popping more innocent kids heads off one by one....

    There is absolutely NO harm that can be done by having guns at the actual school. In fact, you could argue that the presence of guns in the school could possibly deter some of these scenarios from happening in the future and make the kid think twice about following through with it. As far as I'm concerned, this is not the last school shooting. Even if we prevent just one school shooting in the future, it will save some innocent children's lives in the future.

    By not having any resistance at the school, you are giving a mass murderer their dream scenario, unarmed sitting ducks, with plenty of time to inflict maximal damage.


    This is not the way I wanted it, nor you could have imagined our society becoming... But we have to get real here. We can't simply brush this under the carpet and hope nothing like this happens in the future. We need tangible solutions and options, should this happen again in the future. As far as I'm concerned, waiting on the police is not the most effective answer....

    If yesterday was any indication, when some deranged individual get's it into their head to do something like this.... they will find a way.... You can never get guns out of society, it's just an impossible situation. There are too many guns to account for, and you could never possibly collect them all, or expect all citizens to voluntarily relinquish them to the authorities.

    I'm deeply saddened, but I think our forefathers would be ashamed that we cannot all agree upon something and give the schools more options and ways to fight back. As BigMar said a while back, I'd rather have a gun and never have to use it... than to be in a situation where I needed a gun but didn't have the option available to me.

    I'm just thinking of crazy solutions. Worst case scenario is like you had in Connecticut: armed mass murderer with ample time to reload and inflict as much damage as possible, his vision is clear as day and he's locked in a room just shooting away, no weapons around to defend yourself or your students.

    As I said before, I could have never imagined a time where our schools were not safe and teachers needed to be armed. It's a fucked up world were living in, but we simply can't let politics, and gun control idealists prevent teachers from attaining real methods of intervention and protection for the future. As I sadly mentioned before, I don't think we've seen the last school shooting.
    Last edited by Frank Reynolds; 12-15-2012 at 02:37 PM.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Reynolds For This Useful Post:


  12. #204
    Hall of Famer AZ_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,647
    Thanks
    3,075
    Thanked 11,642 Times in 4,879 Posts

    Default Re: Connecticut School Shooting

    There is absolutely NO harm that can be done by having guns at the actual school. In fact, you could argue that the presence of guns in the school could possibly deter some of these scenarios from happening in the future. As far as I'm concerned, this is not the last school shooting. Even if we prevent just one school shooting in the future, it will save some innocent children's lives.
    I've been a pretty somber and depressed mood since this event.

    This actually made me laugh out loud, thank you.

    What's sad is the fact you actually believe arming teachers is going to solve violence issues.

    In reality, all that does is opens up the opportunity for some teacher to snap...or for a child to steal the gun and use it on one of his/her classmates or teachers.

    It's truly staggering how you can believe this will be a reasonable answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AZ_ For This Useful Post:


  14. #205
    Subliminal Ignatius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,825
    Thanks
    5,516
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 745 Posts

    Default Re: Connecticut School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    I feel the same way as you Jigo, I know that I would personally intervene. I think when you enter into a life or death situation, your fight or flight response kicks in and depending on if you one to flee or fight, your personality will have a large impact on your ability to follow through. But mothers have lifted cars off of their children, guys have climbed for hours out of a crevasse in frozen glaciers... You name it... When your life is on the line, you go into another mode that cannot normally be accessed.

    We have to look at this situation honestly. An armed assailant with multiple magazines for reload.... Obviously mass murderers are going for as many kills as possible.... As I was saying before, the quicker the assailant can be taken down, the more lives could potentially be saved.

    But then you have idiots in our society that think stupid shit like "just wait for the police to arrive!" "we can't go promoting guns through teachers"

    And I'm responding with a resounding NO! while you are waiting on the police to arrive, the shooter is popping more innocent kids heads off one by one....

    There is absolutely NO harm that can be done by having guns at the actual school. In fact, you could argue that the presence of guns in the school could possibly deter some of these scenarios from happening in the future and make the kid think twice about following through with it. As far as I'm concerned, this is not the last school shooting. Even if we prevent just one school shooting in the future, it will save some innocent children's lives in the future.

    By not having any resistance at the school, you are giving a mass murderer their dream scenario, unarmed sitting ducks, with plenty of time to inflict maximal damage.


    This is not the way I wanted it, nor you could have imagined our society becoming... But we have to get real here. We can't simply brush this under the carpet and hope nothing like this happens in the future. We need tangible solutions and options, should this happen again in the future. As far as I'm concerned, waiting on the police is not the most effective answer....

    If yesterday was any indication, when some deranged individual get's it into their head to do something like this.... they will find a way.... You can never get guns out of society, it's just an impossible situation. There are too many guns to account for, and you could never possibly collect them all, or expect all citizens to voluntarily relinquish them to the authorities.

    I'm deeply saddened, but I think our forefathers would be ashamed that we cannot all agree upon something and give the schools more options and ways to fight back. As BigMar said a while back, I'd rather have a gun and never have to use it... than to be in a situation where I needed a gun but didn't have the option available to me.

    I'm just thinking of crazy solutions. Worst case scenario is like you had in Connecticut: armed mass murderer with ample time to reload and inflict as much damage as possible, his vision is clear as day and he's locked in a room just shooting away, no weapons around to defend yourself or your students.

    As I said before, I could have never imagined a time where our schools were not safe and teachers needed to be armed. It's a fucked up world were living in, but we simply can't let politics, and gun control idealists prevent teachers from attaining real methods of intervention and protection for the future. As I sadly mentioned before, I don't think we've seen the last school shooting.
    Send this one to congress. Except...keep my name out of it
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!


    RCF All-Time Rank : rep #38 posts #34

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ignatius For This Useful Post:


  16. #206
    Subliminal Ignatius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,825
    Thanks
    5,516
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 745 Posts

    Default Re: Connecticut School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by b00bie View Post
    I've been a pretty somber and depressed mood since this event.

    This actually made me laugh out loud, thank you.

    What's sad is the fact you actually believe arming teachers is going to solve violence issues.

    In reality, all that does is opens up the opportunity for some teacher to snap...or for a child to steal the gun and use it on one of his/her classmates or teachers.

    It's truly staggering how you can believe this will be a reasonable answer.
    What's sad is that he never even said that in his writing. Stop with the teachers being armed with weapons. Think of it as your friendly police officer with a gun or 2 monitoring your kids safety. Think of it as a silent civilian with the means to protect your son or daughter. It's clear that you're not getting the picture here tittie.
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!


    RCF All-Time Rank : rep #38 posts #34

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ignatius For This Useful Post:


  18. #207
    Adrninistrator Huber.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,760
    Thanks
    2,152
    Thanked 6,423 Times in 2,482 Posts

    Default Re: Connecticut School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMar Lion View Post
    What's sad is that he never even said that in his writing. Stop with the teachers being armed with weapons. Think of it as your friendly police officer with a gun or 2 monitoring your kids safety. Think of it as a silent civilian with the means to protect your son or daughter. It's clear that you're not getting the picture here tittie.
    Stop. Just stop.

  19. #208
    formerly LJ4MVP KI4MVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11,068
    Thanks
    2,697
    Thanked 5,956 Times in 2,180 Posts

    Default Re: Connecticut School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    I feel the same way as you Jigo, I know that I would personally intervene. I think when you enter into a life or death situation, your fight or flight response kicks in and depending on if you one to flee or fight, your personality will have a large impact on your ability to follow through. But mothers have lifted cars off of their children, guys have climbed for hours out of a crevasse in frozen glaciers... You name it... When your life is on the line, you go into another mode that cannot normally be accessed.

    We have to look at this situation honestly. An armed assailant with multiple magazines for reload.... Obviously mass murderers are going for as many kills as possible.... As I was saying before, the quicker the assailant can be taken down, the more lives could potentially be saved.

    But then you have idiots in our society that think stupid shit like "just wait for the police to arrive!" "we can't go promoting guns through teachers"

    And I'm responding with a resounding NO! while you are waiting on the police to arrive, the shooter is popping more innocent kids heads off one by one....

    There is absolutely NO harm that can be done by having guns at the actual school. In fact, you could argue that the presence of guns in the school could possibly deter some of these scenarios from happening in the future and make the kid think twice about following through with it. As far as I'm concerned, this is not the last school shooting. Even if we prevent just one school shooting in the future, it will save some innocent children's lives in the future.

    By not having any resistance at the school, you are giving a mass murderer their dream scenario, unarmed sitting ducks, with plenty of time to inflict maximal damage.


    This is not the way I wanted it, nor you could have imagined our society becoming... But we have to get real here. We can't simply brush this under the carpet and hope nothing like this happens in the future. We need tangible solutions and options, should this happen again in the future. As far as I'm concerned, waiting on the police is not the most effective answer....

    If yesterday was any indication, when some deranged individual get's it into their head to do something like this.... they will find a way.... You can never get guns out of society, it's just an impossible situation. There are too many guns to account for, and you could never possibly collect them all, or expect all citizens to voluntarily relinquish them to the authorities.

    I'm deeply saddened, but I think our forefathers would be ashamed that we cannot all agree upon something and give the schools more options and ways to fight back. As BigMar said a while back, I'd rather have a gun and never have to use it... than to be in a situation where I needed a gun but didn't have the option available to me.

    I'm just thinking of crazy solutions. Worst case scenario is like you had in Connecticut: armed mass murderer with ample time to reload and inflict as much damage as possible, his vision is clear as day and he's locked in a room just shooting away, no weapons around to defend yourself or your students.

    As I said before, I could have never imagined a time where our schools were not safe and teachers needed to be armed. It's a fucked up world were living in, but we simply can't let politics, and gun control idealists prevent teachers from attaining real methods of intervention and protection for the future. As I sadly mentioned before, I don't think we've seen the last school shooting.
    What are you talking about? The principal was murdered because she tried to intervene.

    Town officials say Hochsprung, who died in the shootings at the school, was killed while lunging at the gunman as she tried to overtake him.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-hook/1771487/

  20. #209
    Hall of Famer AZ_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,647
    Thanks
    3,075
    Thanked 11,642 Times in 4,879 Posts

    Default Re: Connecticut School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMar Lion View Post
    What's sad is that he never even said that in his writing. Stop with the teachers being armed with weapons. Think of it as your friendly police officer with a gun or 2 monitoring your kids safety. Think of it as a silent civilian with the means to protect your son or daughter. It's clear that you're not getting the picture here tittie.
    As I said before, I could have never imagined a time where our schools were not safe and teachers needed to be armed.
    First of all, yes he did insinuate that teachers needed to be armed.

    Secondly, your friendly neighborhood police officer is not likely to win out over a guy in a ballistic vest with a high powered rifle.

    And when gun lobbyists argue that "if it wasn't a gun, it would be a knife," the same adage would apply as the counter argument.

    If schools are secure, it will be something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

  21. #210
    Subliminal Ignatius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,825
    Thanks
    5,516
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 745 Posts

    Default Re: Connecticut School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by b00bie View Post
    First of all, yes he did insinuate that teachers needed to be armed.

    Secondly, your friendly neighborhood police officer is not likely to win out over a guy in a ballistic vest with a high powered rifle.

    And when gun lobbyists argue that "if it wasn't a gun, it would be a knife," the same adage would apply as the counter argument.

    If schools are secure, it will be something else.
    Your train of thought is quite interesting. I'll throw a wrench at you. How about we make it damn near impossible for a 20 year old kid to get a ballistic vest and a high powered rifle (WHICH BY THE WAY ONLY HANDGUNS WERE USED IN THIS SHOOTING).

    Geez people. Instead of saying "Stop, just stop" ..how about you start coming at me with some real talk?
    Last edited by Ignatius; 12-15-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: grammar
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!


    RCF All-Time Rank : rep #38 posts #34

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ignatius For This Useful Post:


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •