Page 33 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: gun control

Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 745 Posts

Default Re: gun control

Quote Originally Posted by Amherstcavsfan View Post
    So no one has really answered the root question here:

Why is it bad to make it harder to get a gun?
    It isn't.

As long as you're making it harder for those who are only doing harm with it (i.e. criminals) and children (i.e. those who shouldn't have them, unless you're going to teach them about safety, and I've already explained myself on this issue).

You make them harder to get for those who protect, and you do harm only to yourself.

The ideology behind this is quite simple.

EDIT - You also take crimes committed by guns extremely serious (death penalty). Again, I would rather the person be killed on spot by the victim than get his ugly mug plastered all over the TV and now the damage we're doing to ourselves is even worse.

Heavy fines for allowing those to get guns that shouldn't have them (your children). If death is involved, prison and/or death is a punishment.
    Last edited by Ignatius; 12-20-2012 at 08:07 PM.
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!

RCF All-Time Rank : rep #38 posts #34

Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 505 Posts

Are we really keeping a potentially tyrannical Gov't at bay with our arms?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigMar Lion View Post
    You make them harder to get for those who will only protect, and you do harm to yourself.
    Look, if someone has a gun in a public place, I'm not going to be relying on John Rambo to protect me. If I seem to recall correctly, the school librarian was able to help several kids without having a gun.

Protecting people isn't about being loaded up with guns. It's about doing what's right if this situation breaks out.

None of which is affected if someone has an easier access to a gun. And certainly not the way they can be purchased right now, where you can literally buy 10 guns in a day and have no questions arise about it.

Rising out of the ashes

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Amherstcavsfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tlyons View Post
    Are we really keeping a potentially tyrannical Gov't at bay with our arms?
    We sure are. Just remember, when the government is rolling down your street in the tanks, using drones and rocket attacks, you've got your M16 in the closet to protect yourself. Fair fight.

Rising out of the ashes

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amherstcavsfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

We sure are. Just remember, when the government is rolling down your street in the tanks, using drones and rocket attacks, you've got your M16 in the closet to protect yourself. Fair fight.
    Nah.....M16's serve NO purpose........blah blah blah. Yea, they don't serve a purpose in your children's hand or a deranged murderer's hand....but shit happens folks. You act accordingly.

Thanks

Nah.....M16's serve NO purpose........blah blah blah. Yea, they don't serve a purpose in your children's hand or a deranged murderer's hand....but shit happens folks. You act accordingly.
    No, my belief is that if you need an M16 in your home, then you need to rethink your situation.

If a deranged murder is breaking into my home, or at the place I am, then so be it. Bad luck, I suppose. I'm not going to be packing because I don't see the need. I'm not in a warzone, I'm not going through downtown Tehran shouting "FREEDOM IS AWESOME!"

But, hey, what the hell, if you want to do so, be my guess. I just don't think you should be able to own an M16, a shotgun, 3 hand guns, a Kevlar vest, and enough ammo to arm the People's Army of China twice over.

Rising out of the ashes

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Amherstcavsfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Look, if someone has a gun in a public place, I'm not going to be relying on John Rambo to protect me. If I seem to recall correctly, the school librarian was able to help several kids without having a gun.

Protecting people isn't about being loaded up with guns. It's about doing what's right if this situation breaks out.

None of which is affected if someone has an easier access to a gun. And certainly not the way they can be purchased right now, where you can literally buy 10 guns in a day and have no questions arise about it.
    Again, I'm extremely happy this was this case. I'll take my chances with a gun rather than without one any time.

You're letting yourself believe some grandiose picture our of society that really isn't the case.

Thanks

No, my belief is that if you need an M16 in your home, then you need to rethink your situation.

If a deranged murder is breaking into my home, or at the place I am, then so be it. Bad luck, I suppose. I'm not going to be packing because I don't see the need. I'm not in a warzone, I'm not going through downtown Tehran shouting "FREEDOM IS AWESOME!"

But, hey, what the hell, if you want to do so, be my guess. I just don't think you should be able to own an M16, a shotgun, 3 hand guns, a Kevlar vest, and enough ammo to arm the People's Army of China twice over.
    I think you should.

Thanks

You're letting yourself believe some grandiose picture our of society that really isn't the case.
    I'm choosing to believe that having a gun isn't the only way to protect those around me and my loved ones.

I think you should.
    I think you shouldn't.

Rising out of the ashes

Thanks

I'm choosing to believe that having a gun isn't the only way to protect those around me and my loved ones.

I think you shouldn't.

And that is absolutely your right and I am happy for you.

We'll agree to disagree.

Thanks

We'll agree to disagree.
    I'm going to have to disagree, though.

Gun control, even limiting a person to one gun per style, or taxing the shit out of the ammo, could prevent future crimes. The problem isn't that people can get the gun, people will always find a way to get a gun. The problem is that situations like these, someone is stealing these guns from people they know, using the ammo stockpiles that they have, then using them for other intend purposes. So why not limit the amount of guns you can have in a home? Why not limit the amount of ammo you can have in a house hold? Why not just make it like another sin tax and tax guns into the stratosphere?

Buying a gun should be like buying a car. Not like buying a TV.

Rising out of the ashes

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amherstcavsfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm going to have to disagree, though.

Gun control, even limiting a person to one gun per style, or taxing the shit out of the ammo, could prevent future crimes. The problem isn't that people can get the gun, people will always find a way to get a gun. The problem is that situations like these, someone is stealing these guns from people they know, using the ammo stockpiles that they have, then using them for other intend purposes. So why not limit the amount of guns you can have in a home? Why not limit the amount of ammo you can have in a house hold? Why not just make it like another sin tax and tax guns into the stratosphere?

Buying a gun should be like buying a car. Not like buying a TV.
    I think stealing a gun should be about as easy as stealing an elephant.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 727 Posts

I think stealing a gun should be about as easy as stealing an elephant.
    Yeah, but we're talking about legislation, not personal responsibility.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pr26 For This Useful Post:

Private eyes, Watchin You Tornicade IED's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,067 Posts

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...de-3-d-printer

Technology will soon make gun registration and gn control a waste of time an America overall will be better for it.

citizens can get assualt guns legally in the united states as well as explosives.

its also doesnt address the issues at hand.. oh wait lets ban assualts weapons because then the guy could of only have killed a dozen instead of 2 dozen.

wow you really showed the crazies.

Gun ownership is a responsibilty of course im not surprised how many Americans would understand that.

Guns are dangerous so is life.

deal with it

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tornicade IED For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tornicade View Post
    Guns are dangerous so is life.

deal with it
    I'm sure that's comforting to every single person who has loved ones that have fallen victim to gun violence.

But, then again, technology is advancing, so that means we should give up any and all ideas to curb the available weapons that one can get. Hell, what we should be doing is making them MORE accessible, right? Let's start arming little Joey and Sammy. Grandma Lucy still living at home? Here's a 9MM, better learn how to use it!

The idea that technology is advancing so fuck it anyway is a pretty poor excuse to not have any sort of gun control.

Rising out of the ashes

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amherstcavsfan For This Useful Post: