Page 40 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: gun control

Savior of Humanity InBoobieWeTrust's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,130 Times in 1,403 Posts

Default Re: gun control

Quote Originally Posted by gourimoko View Post

Also, aren't most of these school shootings outside of urban environments? I don't think it's inner-city or struggling districts that are of greatest concern. I think a place like Newtown, Connecticut probably has relatively low crime and could spare two off-duty cops during the day.
    This is the truest statement that nobody really wants to point out...

Even someone as psychotic as Adam Lanza isn't dumb enough to roll up to Collinwood High or Lincoln-West in an attempt to shoot the school up.

The places with the most money, and the least amount of problems, are the ones most susceptible to things like this, and at the end of the day these are random events that have no real pattern besides the shooter initially losing his mind.

There's a reason the FBI has been unable to accurately build a profile of the quintessential school shooter for 25 years, because it could be anybody, from any walk of life, for whatever convoluted insane reason.

I don't think teachers should be armed, but if I hear that god damned alert go off while I'm teaching I already have a plan. All of my students are going into my lab supply room and if anyone with a gun comes in the room they're getting a splash of hydrochloric acid to their face.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to InBoobieWeTrust For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,304 Times in 1,826 Posts

I would just like to point out that I think it is noble for average citizens wanting to have the backs of the complete strangers that surround them, but you can't blame those people for questioning your motives. A gun not in someone's control is an immediate hazard if they're within the shooter's/owner's range. I do also believe, however, that some people buy guns just to make them feel bad-ass rather than for safety.

I just read a facebook post about how a guy I know bought an AR-15 and a S&W Shield. I mean, what the fuck do you need a shield for? Are you Captain America fighting the Nazi's?
    Last edited by RappSoda; 12-21-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Cavaliers | Browns | Indians | Buckeyes | Red Hawks

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RappSoda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 745 Posts

So a few exceptions makes things different? Does not change much of anything.

Also, NOTHING will change the fact that those who die by guns or any other relative, physical trauma (unless accidental) could have survived if they had guns.

There is absolutely no argument against this.
    Last edited by Ignatius; 12-21-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!

RCF All-Time Rank : rep #38 posts #34

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rap Soda View Post

I would just like to point out that I think it is noble for average citizens wanting to have the backs of the complete strangers that surround them, but you can't blame those people for questioning your motives. A gun not in someone's control is an immediate hazard if they're within the shooter's/owner's range. I do also believe, however, that some people buy guns just to make them feel bad-ass rather than for safety.

I just read a facebook post about how a guy I know bought an AR-15 and a S&W Shield. I mean, what the fuck do you need a shield for? Are you Captain America fighting the Nazi's?
    How about firstly to protect themselves and the ones they love?

Private eyes, Watchin You Tornicade IED's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,715 Times in 2,075 Posts

noone has stated that there are not gun accidents or that kids can do stupid things with them. showing an article where this happens. although sad. does not change things.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tornicade IED For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,681 Times in 3,233 Posts

How I feel every time BigMar posts an image that completely misses the point:

............................................______ __
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?........................... ...........................,
    .................../.................................................. .........,}
    ................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
    .............../.................................................. .,:"........./
    ..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|............ ..`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,.............. .............`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_......... .._,-%.......`

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:

Fighting the good fight! gourimoko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,359 Times in 2,612 Posts

To the gun control advocates, Boobie and Jack Brickman particularly, what endgame do you envision? Honestly, not half-measures, or compromises, but if you were King for a Day, what would American gun policy be?

Boobie, you've said you don't think "doomsday scenarios" are realistic. But as I pointed out, when was the last time we as a nation went without the threat of war or catastrophe? I'm curious as to how old you are, and if you remember the very real threat of nuclear annihilation that entire generations of Americans lived under since the 1950's? I don't want to put words in your mouth, but are you saying that there is no scenario in which the government would not come to our immediate aid? There is no reason to want to protect yourself, rather than total reliance on the police?

Do either of you accept the premise, laid out in the Constitution, for the need to have an armed citizenry?
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    The Supreme Court as recently as 2008 decided that the term "militia" historically refers to able-to-serve men who were the primary defense of the nation. It is also noted that the militia is in stark contrast to a standing army, and that the militia is to check the powers of government.

Now you may not think armed citizens have a chance against the government, but I disagree (many rebellions start small but ultimately succeed). In fact, several President's feared armed uprisings during the Civil Rights Movement and the Watergate Tapes detailed Nixon's fear, prior to 1965, of African Americans taking to arms in order to protect their freedoms. Rebellion isn't some far off concept. The United States is not a perpetual institution. It has not and will not always exist.

My point, concisely, is that The People are the last arbiter of the social contract. If the three branches of government fail to protect our rights, the People are charged with dismantling the government and erecting a new one in it's place. To that end, government may simply fail, for a myriad of reasons, and so goes the protection from nature. At that point, people will need to fend for themselves.

So when I hear people say "you don't need an assault rifle," what I really hear them say is "the government is perpetual; it is and always will be just; to offer counterbalance is absurd because there is no hope for resistance; disarm; submit; obey."

Where am I going wrong?

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gourimoko For This Useful Post:

Veteran
    Thanks

I believe I've posted the laws I would like to see in place at least twice in this topic. Feel free to go find them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    I believe I've posted the laws I would like to see in place at least twice in this topic. Feel free to go find them.
    Yeah, that's cool.. and what of the argument of civil defense, and personal protection? Have they no merit?

Veteran
    Thanks

Yeah, that's cool.. and what of the argument of civil defense, and personal protection? Have they no merit?
    I've never posted a single thing advocating banning guns altogether, so I'm not sure where civil defense and personal protection are limited.

Thanks

To the gun control advocates, Boobie and Jack Brickman particularly, what endgame do you envision? Honestly, not half-measures, or compromises, but if you were King for a Day, what would American gun policy be?

Boobie, you've said you don't think "doomsday scenarios" are realistic. But as I pointed out, when was the last time we as a nation went without the threat of war or catastrophe? I'm curious as to how old you are, and if you remember the very real threat of nuclear annihilation that entire generations of Americans lived under since the 1950's? I don't want to put words in your mouth, but are you saying that there is no scenario in which the government would not come to our immediate aid? There is no reason to want to protect yourself, rather than total reliance on the police?

Do either of you accept the premise, laid out in the Constitution, for the need to have an armed citizenry?

The Supreme Court as recently as 2008 decided that the term "militia" historically refers to able-to-serve men who were the primary defense of the nation. It is also noted that the militia is in stark contrast to a standing army, and that the militia is to check the powers of government.

Now you may not think armed citizens have a chance against the government, but I disagree (many rebellions start small but ultimately succeed). In fact, several President's feared armed uprisings during the Civil Rights Movement and the Watergate Tapes detailed Nixon's fear, prior to 1965, of African Americans taking to arms in order to protect their freedoms. Rebellion isn't some far off concept. The United States is not a perpetual institution. It has not and will not always exist.

My point, concisely, is that The People are the last arbiter of the social contract. If the three branches of government fail to protect our rights, the People are charged with dismantling the government and erecting a new one in it's place. To that end, government may simply fail, for a myriad of reasons, and so goes the protection from nature. At that point, people will need to fend for themselves.

So when I hear people say "you don't need an assault rifle," what I really hear them say is "the government is perpetual; it is and always will be just; to offer counterbalance is absurd because there is no hope for resistance; disarm; submit; obey."

Where am I going wrong?
    Gourimoko, you are never wrong.

These guys will argue anything, even with themselves. It's been quite the adventure, and I'm sure there are some great times ahead lol.

Thanks

Semiautomatic handguns and assault rifle bans... if you don't support these then I must have your position wrong.

Thanks

Semiautomatic handguns and assault rifle bans... if you don't support these then I must have your position wrong.
    "We do with the proper restrictions which OBVIOUSLY aren't in place now"

"As long as people like bigmar lion have advance mental screenings and take rigorous training blah blah blah"

Thanks