View Poll Results: Have the hackers crossed the ethical boundary?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 32.35%
  • No

    23 67.65%
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 199
  1. #121
    Subliminal Ignatius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,825
    Thanks
    5,513
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 745 Posts

    Default Re: Hackers Release Information on Westboro Baptist Church Members After CT Threat

    Extremely weak statement Aussie.

    No, you do not take away their guns as long as they do not use them in THE WRONG WAY.

    The WBC is abusing their constitutional right (because we allow it) to purposely harm people in an effort to profit. But again, it's OK because THEY have rights.
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!


    RCF All-Time Rank : rep #38 posts #34

  2. #122
    Golden Shower Member Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale
    Posts
    12,577
    Thanks
    4,228
    Thanked 6,953 Times in 2,095 Posts

    Default Re: Hackers Release Information on Westboro Baptist Church Members After CT Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMar Lion View Post
    Extremely weak statement Aussie.

    No, you do not take away their guns as long as they do not use them in THE WRONG WAY.

    The WBC is abusing their constitutional right (because we allow it) to purposely harm people in an effort to profit. But again, it's OK because THEY have rights.
    How do they profit from the protests? We allow it because the Constitution allows it.

  3. #123
    formerly LJ4MVP KI4MVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11,045
    Thanks
    2,685
    Thanked 5,933 Times in 2,170 Posts

    Default Re: Hackers Release Information on Westboro Baptist Church Members After CT Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    I'm of the opinion that hacking is a unethical act that is occasionally used for positive gains. Still, you can't just look at the end result and assume that the act itself is ethical. It's not. That doesn't mean I'll complain too much when the hackers target a group like WBC, but it also won't change my opinion that the act itself is thoroughly unethical.

    there are no absolutes with the ethics of a given act. Context matters.

    Hacking into a child porn sever to identify and catch people creating and distributing child porn is ethical.
    Hacking into a server to steal software or credit card numbers is unethical

    Murder is unethical.
    Murdering Hitler during world war 2 is ethical.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KI4MVP For This Useful Post:


  5. #124
    Situational Stopper boxxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    372
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 244 Times in 93 Posts

    Default Re: Hackers Release Information on Westboro Baptist Church Members After CT Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    How do they profit from the protests? We allow it because the Constitution allows it.
    They profit because they sue the city or any individual that infringes on their right and usually settles for a monetary figure. Its a racket they use to make an ass load of money. It's why their tax exempt status should be immediately revoked.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to boxxer For This Useful Post:


  7. #125
    Subliminal Ignatius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,825
    Thanks
    5,513
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 745 Posts

    Default Re: Hackers Release Information on Westboro Baptist Church Members After CT Threat

    Welcome to the big leagues, KI4MVP.

    I want everyone to answer this question and if it takes more than a second for u to answer GTFO...

    Should the protesting of funerals become an illegal act?
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!


    RCF All-Time Rank : rep #38 posts #34

  8. #126
    formerly LJ4MVP KI4MVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11,045
    Thanks
    2,685
    Thanked 5,933 Times in 2,170 Posts

    Default Re: Hackers Release Information on Westboro Baptist Church Members After CT Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    How do they profit from the protests? We allow it because the Constitution allows it.
    there is a logic flaw here. The constitution allows things, but it doesn't allow you to harm others.

    the right to bear arms doesn't allow you to shoot people
    freedom of speech doesn't allow you to slander people

    why should freedom of assembly allow you to inflict emotional harm on other people? Doing so is simply about protecting the rights of the people attending the funeral.

    Blocking these protesters at funerals doesn't infringe on their freedom of assembly. They would still be free to assemble away from funerals. Where away means far enough away that people attending the funeral don't see or hear them at any point.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KI4MVP For This Useful Post:


  10. #127
    formerly LJ4MVP KI4MVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11,045
    Thanks
    2,685
    Thanked 5,933 Times in 2,170 Posts

    Default Re: Hackers Release Information on Westboro Baptist Church Members After CT Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMar Lion View Post
    Welcome to the big leagues, KI4MVP.

    I want everyone to answer this question and if it takes more than a second for u to answer GTFO...

    Should the protesting of funerals become an illegal act?
    absolutely, and I just explained why.

  11. #128
    Subliminal Ignatius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,825
    Thanks
    5,513
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 745 Posts

    Default Re: Hackers Release Information on Westboro Baptist Church Members After CT Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by KI4MVP View Post
    absolutely, and I just explained why.
    And you explained it perfectly.
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!


    RCF All-Time Rank : rep #38 posts #34

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ignatius For This Useful Post:


  13. #129
    Golden Shower Member Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale
    Posts
    12,577
    Thanks
    4,228
    Thanked 6,953 Times in 2,095 Posts

    Default Re: Hackers Release Information on Westboro Baptist Church Members After CT Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMar Lion View Post
    Welcome to the big leagues, KI4MVP.

    I want everyone to answer this question and if it takes more than a second for u to answer GTFO...

    Should the protesting of funerals become an illegal act?
    It would take a constitutional amendment. Just like flag burning, and other extreme acts still covered under free speech. Its a slippery slope.

    So no, it should not.

    The biggest problem I have is that we shouldnt have a need for this conversation. It is only an utter disgrace of a human being that would even think to do this though.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:


  15. #130
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    8,583
    Thanks
    4,573
    Thanked 8,600 Times in 3,199 Posts

    Default Re: Hackers Release Information on Westboro Baptist Church Members After CT Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by KI4MVP View Post
    there are no absolutes with the ethics of a given act. Context matters.
    I disagree.

    Illegally hacking into any server is inherently unethical. That doesn't mean the end results can't be justified, but the act itself is still unethical. Similarly, murder is always unethical, but we find ways to justify it. Like war, for example.

    Murdering a bad person doesn't make the act of murder ethical. It simply makes the unethical act of murder more palatable.

  16. #131
    Golden Shower Member Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale
    Posts
    12,577
    Thanks
    4,228
    Thanked 6,953 Times in 2,095 Posts

    Default Re: Hackers Release Information on Westboro Baptist Church Members After CT Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by KI4MVP View Post
    there is a logic flaw here. The constitution allows things, but it doesn't allow you to harm others.

    the right to bear arms doesn't allow you to shoot people
    freedom of speech doesn't allow you to slander people

    why should freedom of assembly allow you to inflict emotional harm on other people? Doing so is simply about protecting the rights of the people attending the funeral.

    Blocking these protesters at funerals doesn't infringe on their freedom of assembly. They would still be free to assemble away from funerals. Where away means far enough away that people attending the funeral don't see or hear them at any point.
    Dont confuse morals with the law, they are not always the same.

    Blocking the protestors does infringe on their freedom to assemble. They have the legal right to assemble anywhere they chose, including funerals. Just like the KKK has the right to assemble in a Jewish area. Read about the National Socialist Party v. Skokie. In the end, The Nazi's had the right to protest in a town where 1 out of 6 at the time were holocoust survivors. The ironic part was the lawyers that won the case were Jews. This has been argued time and time again. Its not moral, but legally they have the right.


    http://www.kansaspress.ku.edu/strwhe.html

    PS, this is black and white. The courts have ruled they do have the right to assemble although they did end up assembling in Chicago instead. So in a sense, even the Nazi party ended up with more morals than the WBC.
    Last edited by Lee; 12-18-2012 at 12:19 PM.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:


  18. #132
    Team Player Ovum Defender Champion Bubble Lanes Champion Mouse Blocks Champion halloween beatdown Champion Weave Champion Crazy Penguin Champion Redbeard's Treasure Champion Pirate Bubble Champion supergoat52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    590
    Thanks
    715
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 236 Posts

    Default Re: Hackers Release Information on Westboro Baptist Church Members After CT Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by KI4MVP View Post
    absolutely, and I just explained why.
    What if it is Fred Phelp's funeral and at the funeral they have publicly announced that they will be doing many anti-gay demonstrations, along with demonstrations of the sins of America by slaughtering baby piglets (in accordance with the law), to show how we "slaughter" unborn babies?

    An extreme example obviously (though let's be honest, entirely possible), but i am trying to defend the most extreme example of free speech I know of in this country so its only fair.

    Point is, this isn't how the law works, or should work IMO. Its legal to be an asshole and the legislative branch is not in the business of trying to determine just how big of an asshole you are allowed to be. By asshole i mean someone who emotionally taunts, bullies, or offends people without causing actual physical harm.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to supergoat52 For This Useful Post:


  20. #133
    A Dream of Spring CardiacCavs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,507
    Thanks
    2,039
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 604 Posts

    Default Re: Hackers Release Information on Westboro Baptist Church Members After CT Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMar Lion View Post
    And what if they don't?

    What if we all just sit with our thumbs up our asses and keep letting this shit happen, the advancement of hatred and stupidity?

    How big is the WBC? Lets say it has 500 members. In another few years, it could have thousands. And then hundreds of thousands, and then the minority becomes the majority, because "these people have the RIGHT to protest a funeral". Absolutely nonsensical.

    Our rights are taken away every day by the government (we are just too blind to see it most of the time). I'm no longer willing to play politically correct, and I take YOUR SO CALLED RIGHT to protest a funeral and shove it up your goddamn ass (not directed toward anyone )
    There are 40 members of the WBC, give or take a few. They mostly all belong to the Phelps family. No need to worry about that church growing.

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CardiacCavs For This Useful Post:


  22. #134
    Golden Shower Member Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale
    Posts
    12,577
    Thanks
    4,228
    Thanked 6,953 Times in 2,095 Posts

    Default Re: Hackers Release Information on Westboro Baptist Church Members After CT Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCavs View Post
    There are 40 members of the WBC, give or take a few. They mostly all belong to the Phelps family. No need to worry about that church growing.
    Like I said, inbreeders.

  23. #135
    Subliminal Ignatius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,825
    Thanks
    5,513
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 745 Posts

    Default Re: Hackers Release Information on Westboro Baptist Church Members After CT Threat

    So we want to protect the rights of 40 people who spread hate and abuse the constitution. Got it.

    An amendment needs to be made. Simple as that. Problem solved.

    This is NOT about taking away RIGHTS. Again, this is about ideology and fixing our problems.

    You should have the RIGHT to bare arms....NOBODY should have the RIGHT to protest a funeral.

    This is where morality needs to win over and the law needs to reflect that.

    This is just 1 example, as small as it may seem, that is going to end up hurting this country if we keep letting it.
    Last edited by Ignatius; 12-18-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!


    RCF All-Time Rank : rep #38 posts #34

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •