Default Re: Steam Christmas Sale

Quote Originally Posted by pr26 View Post
    I feel like steam should be paying you.
    Right?

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,919 Times in 4,154 Posts

Last day of the sale, so it's encore day. You can buy the entire THQ game catalog for 25 bucks. If there was any question that those guys desperately need money, that pretty much answers it, as 25 dollars is less than the non-sale price of Darksiders 2 alone.

Quite a few good deals today if you guys missed out on anything. I'm still pissed XCOM never dropped below thirty. Guess I'm waiting for the spring sale for that one.

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

That THQ sale is good but I already I own most of those games through other Steam sales. Also the game I would really like Red Faction Guerilla isn't included. I agree in regards to XCOM. That, Skyrim, and Dishonored are on my wishlist but 29.99 is still too much for those. PC gaming has really changed my mindset on how much I spend on games. To think a year ago I would regularly blow 60 bucks a game on new Xbox 360 titles. UGH.

Hall of Famer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wizman23 View Post
    That THQ sale is good but I already I own most of those games through other Steam sales. Also the game I would really like Red Faction Guerilla isn't included. I agree in regards to XCOM. That, Skyrim, and Dishonored are on my wishlist but 29.99 is still too much for those. PC gaming has really changed my mindset on how much I spend on games. To think a year ago I would regularly blow 60 bucks a game on new Xbox 360 titles. UGH.
    Same regarding the THQ collection. Still a fantastic deal if you only own one or two of those games.

I agree about PC gaming. I always spend a crap-ton of money during the Steam sales, but now I have enough games to last me basically forever (although sadly never enough time to play them). Plus the Steam sales are a good way to find hidden gems that you otherwise would not have bought.

For example, I am absolutely loving Tropico 4. I got it for six bucks and binged on it the past few days when I wasn't out watching football (or going to the Cavs/Bobcats game!). I've literally put off getting a haircut on three consecutive days because I wanted to "just play 30 more minutes of Tropico." Game is addictive as hell. It's Sim City but as a dictator on a tropical island. And I never would have bought the game if it wasn't six bucks.

Seriously, though, buy Dishonored. Thirty bucks is an absolute steal for that game. Best game I played in 2012.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 668 Posts

Jack Brickman, my checking account hates you

Hall of Famer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCavs View Post
    Jack Brickman, my checking account hates you
    My checking account hates me even more. Ah well, at least now I have enough games to last me basically my entire life, assuming of course I ever play anything besides Tropico 4 again (questionable at this point).

Hall of Famer
    Thanks

No longer Christmas, but Steam sales continue! Sleeping Dogs is on sale for 9.99 today and is absolutely worth a look if you're a fan of GTA-style open world games. Plus, the hand to hand combat in Sleeping Dogs is a lot of fun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/202170/

Brunette Connoisseur MAKING WORDS Champion Cratylus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 488 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    No longer Christmas, but Steam sales continue! Sleeping Dogs is on sale for 9.99 today and is absolutely worth a look if you're a fan of GTA-style open world games. Plus, the hand to hand combat in Sleeping Dogs is a lot of fun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/202170/
    How's it compare with Saints Row 2?
    Founding Member of the RCF Crazy Donators Club
    Current Members: Cratylus, Warren G., BodegaBayCav

Hall of Famer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cratylus View Post
    How's it compare with Saints Row 2?
    Never really played Saints Row 2. Played a bit of 3, though. It's similar in that it's an open world game, and the driving and shooting aren't all that different. It's definitely not as ridiculous or over-the-top as the Saints Row series. There are certainly some over-the-top moments, and some of the kills are hilariously gruesome, but by and large the story is fairly serious. The story is actually pretty good, and the voice acting is generally top notch.

Since the game takes place in Hong Kong, there's an emphasis on hand-to-hand combat. There's gunplay as well (which is kind of ironic given that you're told early in the game that there are almost no guns in Hong Kong), and it's solid, but it largely takes a backseat to the fisticuffs. You can also gain new moves as you play, and the combat system is deep enough to satisfy. My favorite part is every area has objects that you can use to finish enemies if you throw them into them, such as soda machines, air conditioning units, and much more ludicrously violent options.

I get bored with games very easily, and Sleeping Dogs was one that I never really got bored with while I was playing it. I didn't find everything, but I played all the main missions and went out of my way to do plenty of side missions.