Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Re: Rudy Gay being shopped by Grizz

He makes more than Lebron

Thanks

What's the problem with making a play for Rudy? Yeah his contract is overly large, however it will conveniently end right as Kyrie's due for his massive payday (assuming he takes a 4th year option). It's highly unlikely that any GM's will throw out another $18m+/year contract to Gay in 2015, which would give us the option of resigning him to a reasonable deal. Actually, short of us resigning Gay for something rivaling his current contract (which wouldn't happen), we'd potentially have space to sign another top $$ player, be it in the near future or 1-2 years down the line. We're one of the few teams in the league with the ability to shop around a substantial amount of money/assets while retaining financial stability moving forward, and at some point we're going to have to take advantage of that. If this keeps up through the `13-14 season, Kyrie won't be a happy camper, and rightfully so. A play for Gay would not only keep Kyrie happy & behind the team's progress, it would result in some much needed fan relief via winning a damn basketball game every once in a while.

So long as our 2013 #1 stays put, I'd be perfectly okay with entering the bidding war.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brooks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,885 Times in 676 Posts

if Gays max expires before we need to give Kyrie the max, why the fuck not?

we would be absolutely solid at PG, SF and PF, add in our lotto pick and pick another position to fill in that could very well be solid. Gay would be fantastic, especially compared to who else we could get who happens to expire when we need him too..there isnt many (any)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by warriorsz32 View Post
    People drive me away from this board.. If you don't think Gay is good, that is laughable... one of the top 5 most talented SF's in the league. I don't know why you wouldn't want him, money aside.
    Top 5? Semantics.

After James, Durant and Anthony there is a monstrous dropoff at the small forward position in the NBA.
    Last edited by MYoung23; 01-13-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,578 Times in 9,745 Posts

At this point, you'd be hard pressed to argue that Gay is better than Luol Deng. And Batum certainly appears to be on his way to being a much better all around player.

If he's top five next year, presuming batum continues his current trajectory, then it's because he barely edges out Deng for fifth.

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

I personnaly wouldn't go all in for Gay, acquiring him would cost too much (prolly one of our rooks + expiring + pick). Gay is a third option on a championship team, yet gets paid like a franchise player.
    Also, Gay cant shoot and we already have a terrible shooting team. We need a 3 that can spread the floor. Dion cant shoot (yet), TT cant shoot and TZ can't really shoot either. The paint wouldbe packed as hell, Kyrie would be the only one capable of draining trees consistenly...

Now it is true that his contract expires right when we need cap space for Kyrie's extension, but if he aint part of the long term plan, why bother?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,472 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug.Heil View Post
    At this point, you'd be hard pressed to argue that Gay is better than Luol Deng. And Batum certainly appears to be on his way to being a much better all around player.

If he's top five next year, presuming batum continues his current trajectory, then it's because he barely edges out Deng for fifth.
    deng is already better. i'd argue that he's more suited for a contending team, too, because he's an elite defender while gay is not even close. and of course his contract is smaller as well.

Quote Originally Posted by shukle View Post
    Now it is true that his contract expires right when we need cap space for Kyrie's extension, but if he aint part of the long term plan, why bother?
    lol thank you.

who cares about the timing of his contract expiring re: cavs signing their younger players? that is entirely irrelevant and afaik would preclude the cavs from targeting lebron (even a 20% shot of getting lebron >>>>> ensuring gay is a cavalier). wtf do you think will happen when it expires? he's suddenly going to take a massive paycut and be paid much closer to what he's actually worth? give me a break.
    Last edited by Triumph36; 01-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Triumph36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 1,030 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
    who cares about the timing of his contract expiring re: cavs signing their younger players? that is entirely irrelevant and afaik would preclude the cavs from targeting lebron (even a 20% shot of getting lebron >>>>> ensuring gay is a cavalier). wtf do you think will happen when it expires? he's suddenly going to take a massive paycut and be paid much closer to what he's actually worth? give me a break.
    Exactly, who cares when he expires. Who says he resigns with us even if he has to take a pay cut due to the change in the scenery of the NBA at the time. Likely, we'd still have to over pay to keep him. The whole thing is just ignoring the past and wanting to waste our cap space. Think Larry Hughes and company. How badly his contract restricted what we could do. Even worse, the cap wasn't any where near as punitive as it is now and Gay's contract is even more lucrative.

All of this is without even considering having to expend assets in addition. Frankly, they should have to give us assets to take the contract off their hands. There is a reason they are trying to dump him. If he was worth his contract, they'd be trying to hang on to him. He isn't. It was a mistake when they signed him for that much. I don't see a reason to take on their mistake. Let alone pay for the privilege.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scholar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 902 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
    deng is already better. i'd argue that he's more suited for a contending team, too, because he's an elite defender while gay is not even close. and of course his contract is smaller as well.

lol thank you.

If I had to choose between Deng and Gay I would go Deng because he is a better 3 pt shooter, and he does not need the ball to be effective. He'd work great with Dion and Kyrie as an elite defender/shooter. He been criticized for not taking the ball to the basket, but you would not need him attack mode all the time with Dion and Kyrie. He would be a better fit, but I don't see him leaving the Bulls.

Rising Star
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cavatt View Post
    If I had to choose between Deng and Gay I would go Deng because he is a better 3 pt shooter, and he does not need the ball to be effective.
    Career 3PT%
    Deng: 33.6
    Gay: 34.4

2012-13 3PT%
    Deng: 32.6
    Gay: 31.2

Though Deng is clearly the better defender, Gay still has the makings of a plus defender if he could develop some consistency.

Savior of Humanity InBoobieWeTrust's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,145 Times in 1,405 Posts

I just don't like the fact that Memphis really did not miss him that much when he was injured these past few years. Plus, OJ Mayo seems to be thriving not having to play with him...I just don't see the need to go out and trade for the guy using assets and taking on that money.

The best fit on this team is a SF that does not demand a high usage rate but can still be effective. Rudy Gay is mostly an off-the dribble player with shooting and getting to the rim. He doesn't run off screens very well, and doesn't play with his back to the basket particularly well, and isn't a great passer. Would you rather run the offense through Rudy Gay or Kyrie? All else equal, I'd take Kyrie. Rudy Gay does not bring enough to warrant going out to get him.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InBoobieWeTrust For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,238 Times in 775 Posts

Just talking here but I could see the Clippers as a possible destination for Rudy if he is dealt.

A Butler, and Odom for Gay deal would be an interesting for both teams.

Can you imagine how hard it would be to guard a lineup of CP3/Crawford/Gay/Griffin/Jordan ?

Situational Stopper Glenechocreek's Avatar
    Thanks

Gay is not playing tonight. Is he hurt, or is a trade imminent?

Thanks
    Thanked 23,767 Times in 5,271 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenechocreek View Post
    Gay is not playing tonight. Is he hurt, or is a trade imminent?
    Attending his grandmother's funeral today, expected to play in their next game on Weds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Just talking here but I could see the Clippers as a possible destination for Rudy if he is dealt.

A Butler, and Odom for Gay deal would be an interesting for both teams.

Can you imagine how hard it would be to guard a lineup of CP3/Crawford/Gay/Griffin/Jordan ?
    They'd have to give up bledsoe too in a deal like that. Picks as well