Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,551 Times in 1,566 Posts

Default Re: Browns "reboot" coaching search

I will say this: I think Banner has been more of a hindrance than a help so far in this process and the start of the new regime..

We'll see if that changes and if they can ultimately make the right hires and form the proper structure...

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
    I will say this: I think Banner has been more of a hindrance than a help so far in this process and the start of the new regime..
    Says who?

Ohdang Helicopter Race Champion Sneaky's Road Trip - London Champion Ohdang's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pick6 View Post
    Says who?
    I get the same feeling. I just don't like the guy for some reason.
    "All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ohdang For This Useful Post:

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,592 Times in 3,194 Posts

We'll see if that changes and if they can ultimately make the right hires and form the proper structure...
    I don't know. So far the two main hires made by Banner/Haslam have both seemingly been very good hires. Granted, they were non-football hires, but still. Both guys have great resumes and came highly recommended.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

He's a smug little shit who has knowledge about the ins and outs of the cap, but nothing in the way of player evaluation. Yet, he seems to be the guy hiring our HC and GM. That scares me and I'm pretty sure real NFL guys see this. It's a scary proposition, really. If he hires the right combo, we could be set for years. But, I'm having a bit of a crisis of confidence because of the rep he got in PHI, his supposedly close knit ties to Lombardy, and all the power he seems to have been given. I just hope he's not out of his element so much that he completely botches this thing. The last thing we need is another decade long tailspin.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    I don't know. So far the two main hires made by Banner/Haslam have both seemingly been very good hires. Granted, they were non-football hires, but still. Both guys have great resumes and came highly recommended.
    This. I'm fine with him hiring these kind of guys. But, absolutely skeptical on his actual abilities to hire competent football guys. We shall see....no other choice, really.

Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmknJoe7 View Post
    This. I'm fine with him hiring these kind of guys. But, absolutely skeptical on his actual abilities to hire competent football guys. We shall see....no other choice, really.
    Yeah, I get what you're saying, but it's not as if we have any choice but to cross our fingers and hope Banner/Haslam pick the right guys, or at least not the wrong ones.

Thanks

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but it's not as if we have any choice but to cross our fingers and hope Banner/Haslam pick the right guys, or at least not the wrong ones.
    I'm trying to be optimistic. I still like some of the candidates out there. And, hey, even a blind squirrel....

Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmknJoe7 View Post
    I'm trying to be optimistic. I still like some of the candidates out there. And, hey, even a blind squirrel....
    Mainly I just don't see the point of spending a ton of time worrying over something I have no control over. They're going to hire a coach and a GM at some point, and once they do I'll make my judgment. Until then, there's no point shitting all over Banner and Haslam because of who they interview but don't hire. They can interview the worst coach in the world for all I care. I'll only speak up if they hire that guy.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 432 Posts

They can interview the worst coach in the world for all I care.
    Thankfully, he's already in the rear view mirror

14. The Following User Says Thank You to UDcleveland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It's hard to woo the fans when ya look like a woodchuck.....

Thanks
    Thanked 8,551 Times in 1,566 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pick6 View Post
    Says who?

Since coming on board with the Browns, look at what he's done..

He first fired Heckert and Shurmur... The Shurmur move needed to be made while the Heckert move didn't... He removed one of the bright spots of this organization not on the merit of the job he's done but strictly based on him not wanting him there, simple as that... Banner made the move out of his personal preference... I understand there needs to be a good working environment but Banner's first major move wasn't out of merit but out of him not liking someone.. He also created a vacancy that didn't need to be created and will be lucky if he can find someone who did as good as job as Heckert did...

Following that, the Lombardi rumors have run rampant and they've done nothing to squash it and at this point it'd be surprising if Lombardi hasn't been helping them in some way...

On the non-football side, he's made some excellent hires and has lured away some impressive people from good jobs already... He's a good businessman and knows how to build a business... He's shown that in Philly and no one has ever questioned that...

It's been whether he can handle the football side of things and let the football people do what they do...

The coaching search hasn't gone the way they've wanted it to but it's not for a lack of trying or having a plan...

The dream trio (Saban, Gruden and Cowher) had a slim-to-zero chance of coming here but the chance would have been closer to slim for Cowher and Gruden had Banner not been here than it had to none with him here... Cowher wants power and Banner would have limited that and Gruden and Banner historically haven't worked well/seen eye-to-eye...

The next set of coaches just choose to stay in college, nothing the Browns or any other team could do, and Marrone choose to go to Buffalo because of the timing of it all... Really, nothing the Browns could do... They did their job, they made their pitch and it didn't work out...

Now the search has gotten into the next tier and this is where we'll see if Banner will make the right hire... I give him the benefit of the doubt because for one thing, this search hasn't been restricted to a list, tied to a certain agent or candidates interviewed because of previous relationships... They have so far interviewed 6 guys and that list will probably reach somewhere around 10 guys when it's all said and done; so Banner and the Browns will be doing their job and have been doing their research for a while... So it's not like Banner doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to this (he hired Reid and a lot of good people whole in Philly)...

The front office search hasn't gotten off the ground yet but that's more so because they want a head coach in place first... That's not the way many of us would prefer it but it's what worked for him in Philly so it's understandable why he'd want to do that here... They managed to request some good candidates so far; and again the general gist of interviewees haven't been tied to his agent, haven't been because of past relationships and haven't been because they're from a certain tree... They're all good football men it's just a question whether they have the eye for talent necessary...

Now despite the way things have gone here so far, Banner gets some leniency because of the success he had in Philly for the prolonged period of time... He wouldn't have been in that position and seen that team have that much success if he wasn't a smart guy and knew what he was doing... And no one ever denies that when talking about him, good or bad... It just comes down to when he hires the people, and he's had a history of hiring the right people, can he let them do their job and do it how they like...

So in short: Banner has done what's necessary on the business side and will do what's necessary to continue to build that side... He has the acumen to hire the right people but so far the initial plan hasn't worked out like they initially hoped... So now they are going onto their next phase and will do what the think it takes to get the proper people in place... They way he has handled it hasn't been the best but history is on his side when it comes to getting those people... Now we need to see who they are and whether he will let them do their job... And we also need to see if he allows those people to do what they do or will he meddle..

There's still a lot left to the story before it's complete and can be judge but so far it's been a mixed start... And like mentioned before, it's not fair to comment until the story is complete...

This is all I'm going to say for now, for a while, about Banner with this whole search thing... Enough has been said and there really isn't anything to speak any more on until we see who they hire and how they perform...

So let's talk more about the candidates and how they stack up...

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,089 Posts

I'm tired of people crying about Heckert. Clearly he was the best gm we have had since 99, but he's no Polian or Newsome. Ultimately I don't think it's fair to judge the firing until we know who comes in next. If he makes great picks in this draft and gets a few pro bowlers, we will all forget about Heckert.

And I'm glad some of you are rating banner on his looks. That's a great measuring stick. Bill must be one of the worst coaches in the NFL! Bill looks like a pure genuine 100% asshole. And Cowher spits when he talks, so he must suck too!
    OU... OH YEAH!!!!

9/13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip
    Sanchize and the boys start their reign of dominance tonight...
    Someone has a CHIP on his shoulder (you know who you are)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,577 Times in 1,683 Posts

Does Heckert not lose points for hiring a coach as inept as Shurmur who couldn't take advantage of any of the talent Heckert drafted? Drafting well means nothing if your coach loses winnable games every week.
    Heckert had as much say in the Shurmur hire as you and I.. that falls solely on Holmgren.
    "Most women are interested in me, because I have dimples and I'm Canadian."- "The Clam Slammin, two handed Jammin. Lefty turned righty. Up all nighty" Tristan Thompson

Thanks

I really wish we could make a pitch at Charlie Strong or David Shaw id love ethier of those guys....