Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Out of the Rafters Out of the Rafters at the Q's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDrew View Post
    I would like to keep Speights and Ellington...get rid of Miles, Boobie and Walton.
    I'd like to keep Speights for what he's worth... MLE at the max, barring there's no desire for him. If you can get an asset for him, you flip him.

Ellington is JAG.

Miles and Walton were brought in to help the tank. Neither is a long-term piece, or will receive any playing time once we decide to compete.
    For those of you who fail to type coherent sentences, I would recommend Correct Writing by Fr. Bernard Streicher, S.J.

Thanks

Why Speights accepted trade to Cavs

By Nick Borges | ESPN.com

Not many players say they want to play in Cleveland, but Marreese Speights is one who likes the idea. Speights had the right to veto any trade this season because a deal would eliminate his Full Bird rights, but he felt the Cavs are a good fit.

"No other team was that young that needed another big man," Speights told The News-Herald. "It was a good opportunity to come here and get some playing time."

Speights, who will be a free agent in July, will be the backup center behind starter Tyler Zeller.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kovah For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kovah View Post
    Why Speights accepted trade to Cavs

By Nick Borges | ESPN.com

Not many players say they want to play in Cleveland, but Marreese Speights is one who likes the idea. Speights had the right to veto any trade this season because a deal would eliminate his Full Bird rights, but he felt the Cavs are a good fit.

"No other team was that young that needed another big man," Speights told The News-Herald. "It was a good opportunity to come here and get some playing time."

Speights, who will be a free agent in July, will be the backup center behind starter Tyler Zeller.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/
    aka he thought our team was shitty enough for even him to get 30 mins

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,963 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kizzle View Post
    aka he thought our team was shitty enough for even him to get 30 mins
    Exactly, that is a recipe for getting over paid for a big. Trade him before this happens. Speights is smarter than he sounds, lol

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And he has an agent who's job is to make him money.
    I was raised by a cup of coffee.

Thanks

Mo is happy to be in Cleveland. He can take less money to stay in Cleveland with Kyrie and Scott, because there are players who just like to be with teammates and coach, and would take less money if they feel that they will get playing time, and that team is something special. I don't see any reason for Speights to opt out of contract next year, especially if he gets 20 or 25 mpg. I hope I am not wrong .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mds View Post
    And he has an agent who's job is to make him money.
    I imagine that would be any agents job
    Carlton Blues | Cleveland Cavaliers | Melbourne Victory

Thanks

Does this means that he stays Cavalier in years to come?

I hope so...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adriano_leite For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Speights has a real opportunity here, but because of our need to maintain cap space in 2014 the cavaliers must not resign him. There is no possibility that grant will resign him.

Thanks

Kyrie just retweeted Marreese too. I'm all for keeping a big man who can play and likes playing with out guys.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oasis05 View Post
    Speights has a real opportunity here, but because of our need to maintain cap space in 2014 the cavaliers must not resign him. There is no possibility that grant will resign him.
    We can't all the time be careful about cap space. James isn't coming back, so it would be stupid from us to not sign Speights, because we think that James will come here. Speights is young C/PF and knows how to play game. Is better to sign Speights for 3 or 4 years, than draft some big man except Noel or Len. It would be a lot better to sign Speights and draft Shabazz for example, than sign Len and some average SF/SG and let Speights walk away. We cant rebuild for 10 years, and every young talented big means gold in this leage, and Speights is one of those guys. Big plus is that he don't need much time to develop like some other big man from draft would need. Is better to trade Zeller than trade Speights or let Speights go.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to adriano_leite For This Useful Post:

Cryotherapy Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,417 Times in 2,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oasis05 View Post
    I've been a big proponent of the idea that Speights is a short timer here in Cleveland. Seems to make sense to me, but there is a possibility that the Cavs resign him. It comes down to two things--

1) Speights would have to agree to a cap friendly contract ($4Mil a year or less) that isn't guaranteed in 2014.

2) The cap management strategy for the Cavs allows the contract. This is a complicated part-- Either a) the Cavs are not planning on freeing $20 Mil of cap space in 2014, b) the Cavs prefer Speights to someone already on the roster in 2014, c) the Cavs don't expect to spend as much money of Rookie contracts as I think, or d) they expect the salary cap to be over $62Mil in 2014.

If both of things happen, then it could happen. It still seems like much simpler solution to just trade him for parts right now.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Douglar For This Useful Post:

The Canadian
    Thanks

His PER is already above league average (16.90 or so), it will be interesting to see if he can maintain or improve it over the rest of the season.

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Douglar View Post
    1) Speights would have to agree to a cap friendly contract ($4Mil a year or less) that isn't guaranteed in 2014.
    It's also conceivable that we just take a risk. If both sides truly do like each other and we could sign Marreese at fair market price, we should be able to shed his contract if it became necessary. It may even become a non-issue if what with all the new TV deals that the salary cap goes up.

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Default Re: Cavs Trade w/ Memphis (Speights, Selby, Ellington, and #1 pick for Leuer)

I love watching Speights play. I've loved him since florida, but that being said......My Brain said he's a rich mans Hickson. Amazing physical talent, great big man skills, and he seems like a competitor. That being said, I hope we trade him for something good before he disappoints me and lets out his inner retard. Which I know is lurking. He's focused, and on his toes. Once he gets in a groove, his natural retard self will come out and i'll try to deny it, but it will be impossible after a while. It's not his fault either, his brain just doesn't work at max.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Blonde For This Useful Post: