Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 634
  1. #241
    Veteran godfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,501
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,408 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

    I would pay Speights between 5-7 million, and I think that's about what he'd command on the market. As long as its not longer than three years.
    If I sound ignorant, don't blame me. I post on realcavsfans.com

  2. #242
    Hustling on the inside wuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richfield Coliseum
    Posts
    14,838
    Thanks
    11,042
    Thanked 23,764 Times in 5,269 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

    Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    He only appears to be worth that much on the market, because we don't have many quality players on this team.
    Javale Magee signed last off-season for $11M/year. Someone will overpay Speights. It happens every off-season, even with the new CBA in place.

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wuck For This Useful Post:


  4. #243
    Team Player adriano_leite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Posts
    572
    Thanks
    588
    Thanked 283 Times in 115 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglar View Post
    Speights really makes the games watchable right now. For the Cavs, it was nowhere to go but up considering that Luke Walton was the third guy in the front court rotation two weeks ago. The problem is that the team that signs Speights to a 4year deal next summer will be the team that signed the next Charlie Villanueva. Don't be that team that signs that contract of frustration and regret.. Be the team that traded for a real building block.
    How do you know that he will be C. V.? You know the future? Pls give me lotto numbers so i can gamble tomorrow and win some big money.

  5. #244
    Veteran godfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,501
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,408 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglar View Post
    Speights really makes the games watchable right now. For the Cavs, it was nowhere to go but up considering that Luke Walton was the third guy in the front court rotation two weeks ago. The problem is that the team that signs Speights to a 4year deal next summer will be the team that signed the next Charlie Villanueva. Don't be that team that signs that contract of frustration and regret.. Be the team that traded for a real building block.
    Charlie Villanueva has never played the game with the intensity, passion, and mean streak like Speights.

    Charlie V was a cream puff from day one.

    Speights is a role player, nothing more. But you need role players like Speights moving forward. As long he has the motor, stays healthy, he's going to be productive for a long time.
    If I sound ignorant, don't blame me. I post on realcavsfans.com

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to godfather For This Useful Post:


  7. #245
    Or Also Schtick The Oi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,235
    Thanks
    26,807
    Thanked 30,578 Times in 9,745 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglar View Post
    Speights really makes the games watchable right now. For the Cavs, it was nowhere to go but up considering that Luke Walton was the third guy in the front court rotation two weeks ago. The problem is that the team that signs Speights to a 4year deal next summer will be the team that signed the next Charlie Villanueva. Don't be that team that signs that contract of frustration and regret.. Be the team that traded for a real building block.
    I agree with you 100% re: moving him if you believe he's really the next CV. But...Assuming he continues to play right around the level he has, what's the richest deal you'd offer him?

  8. #246
    Veteran godfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,501
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,408 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

    Quote Originally Posted by wuck View Post
    Javale Magee signed last off-season for $11M/year. Someone will overpay Speights. It happens every off-season, even with the new CBA in place.
    Magee actually has the talent to be a star, he's just a total knucklehead in every way. So in theory I can see how that makes some sense(even though it was a terrible contract given the guy's mentality).

    I don't think anyone sees that kind of upside in Speights, but I could be wrong.
    If I sound ignorant, don't blame me. I post on realcavsfans.com

  9. #247
    Faith In Breesus melecoaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Curitiba, Brazil
    Posts
    2,850
    Thanks
    316
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 512 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

    Something around 32M / 5 year deal would be ok for me. More than that, no way

  10. #248
    Time For A Title Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Best of the Land
    Posts
    8,934
    Thanks
    2,937
    Thanked 4,786 Times in 1,885 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

    Three letters:

    MLE

  11. #249
    Cryotherapy Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,441
    Thanks
    5,371
    Thanked 9,821 Times in 2,093 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

    Quote Originally Posted by adriano_leite View Post
    How do you know that he will be C. V.? You know the future? Pls give me lotto numbers so i can gamble tomorrow and win some big money.
    I'm just saying that Speights and Charlie V are both 6'10" PF's with questionable motors, too much love for streaky perimeter shooting, and a strong aversion to playing defense when they are not looking for a payday. Enjoy watching him play for the team today. It's fun stuff. But keep in mind that the front office has a plan for building a contender and getting into a bidding war on an unrestricted free agent Mo Speights after a fluke spring is not part of that plan.

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Douglar For This Useful Post:


  13. #250
    Hustling on the inside wuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richfield Coliseum
    Posts
    14,838
    Thanks
    11,042
    Thanked 23,764 Times in 5,269 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

    Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    I don't think anyone sees that kind of upside in Speights, but I could be wrong.
    OKC could use a player like him, and they just saw an audition.

    On the flipside from Magee, there were a number of players who thought they would land a better contract last summer who had to wait and wait and wait, and finally got lowball offers or short contracts (let's say Jamal Crawford or Alonso Gee). If the Cavs thought they could get Speights back for the numbers you suggested (3 years, 5M-7M), I think they would consider it. I just think that some team will overpay, even in this climate. I'm not saying he's worth it, but I would think he'll make 7M or more rather than 5 or 6M.

  14. #251
    Veteran godfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,501
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,408 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

    Nah, you don't want to get tied long-term with a role player. I agree with Douglar giving him 4 years, or plus is not a good idea. Disagree with the Charlie V comparison. Anyone could see he was just looking for a pay day. The guy never goes within 12 feet of the bucket, and has always been a lazy, no contact kind of player.

    I said Charlie V at the time would be a huge bust, when everyone wanted the bum.

    Three years, with incentives along with a team option, is what I'd want for Speights.

    Like I said, you want to keep unless you can't help it. He's definitely worth 5-7 mil, for three years. And I think that's his market.
    If I sound ignorant, don't blame me. I post on realcavsfans.com

  15. #252
    All Star howler1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,226
    Thanks
    3,067
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,059 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

    Quote Originally Posted by wuck View Post
    OKC could use a player like him, and they just saw an audition.

    On the flipside from Magee, there were a number of players who thought they would land a better contract last summer who had to wait and wait and wait, and finally got lowball offers or short contracts (let's say Jamal Crawford or Alonso Gee). If the Cavs thought they could get Speights back for the numbers you suggested (3 years, 5M-7M), I think they would consider it. I just think that some team will overpay, even in this climate. I'm not saying he's worth it, but I would think he'll make 7M or more rather than 5 or 6M.
    Sorry wuck, that's a lot of wishful thinking. He's a legit big with skills, someone's gonna overpay him just for that. Omer Asik got 3 years and $25 million after coming off the bench his whole career, I think he'll get 3 years $15 mill at the very least from some team looking for a big.

  16. #253
    Double stuffed Oreos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    740
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 73 Times in 33 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

    5-7 million a year would be a pretty good contract for a player like him as long as we can front load it.

  17. #254
    Hustling on the inside wuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richfield Coliseum
    Posts
    14,838
    Thanks
    11,042
    Thanked 23,764 Times in 5,269 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

    Quote Originally Posted by howler1313 View Post
    Sorry wuck, that's a lot of wishful thinking. He's a legit big with skills, someone's gonna overpay him just for that. Omer Asik got 3 years and $25 million after coming off the bench his whole career, I think he'll get 3 years $15 mill at the very least from some team looking for a big.
    I think you and I agree completely. I think someone will overpay - MLE contract would be the very smallest, but I think he'll get more than expected.

  18. #255
    Veteran godfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,501
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,408 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglar View Post
    I'm just saying that Speights and Charlie V are both 6'10" PF's with questionable motors, too much love for streaky perimeter shooting, and a strong aversion to playing defense when they are not looking for a payday. Enjoy watching him play for the team today. It's fun stuff. But keep in mind that the front office has a plan for building a contender and getting into a bidding war on an unrestricted free agent Mo Speights after a fluke spring is not part of that plan.
    Common, Douglar, Charlie V is an insult to the position power forward. The guy has played game anything but one.
    If I sound ignorant, don't blame me. I post on realcavsfans.com

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •