Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,116 Posts

Default Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

I would pay Speights between 5-7 million, and I think that's about what he'd command on the market. As long as its not longer than three years.
    If I sound ignorant, don't blame me. I post on realcavsfans.com

Thanks
    Thanked 21,506 Times in 4,817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    He only appears to be worth that much on the market, because we don't have many quality players on this team.
    Javale Magee signed last off-season for $11M/year. Someone will overpay Speights. It happens every off-season, even with the new CBA in place.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wuck For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Douglar View Post
    Speights really makes the games watchable right now. For the Cavs, it was nowhere to go but up considering that Luke Walton was the third guy in the front court rotation two weeks ago. The problem is that the team that signs Speights to a 4year deal next summer will be the team that signed the next Charlie Villanueva. Don't be that team that signs that contract of frustration and regret.. Be the team that traded for a real building block.
    How do you know that he will be C. V.? You know the future? Pls give me lotto numbers so i can gamble tomorrow and win some big money.

Thanks

Speights really makes the games watchable right now. For the Cavs, it was nowhere to go but up considering that Luke Walton was the third guy in the front court rotation two weeks ago. The problem is that the team that signs Speights to a 4year deal next summer will be the team that signed the next Charlie Villanueva. Don't be that team that signs that contract of frustration and regret.. Be the team that traded for a real building block.
    Charlie Villanueva has never played the game with the intensity, passion, and mean streak like Speights.

Charlie V was a cream puff from day one.

Speights is a role player, nothing more. But you need role players like Speights moving forward. As long he has the motor, stays healthy, he's going to be productive for a long time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to godfather For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 28,802 Times in 9,198 Posts

I agree with you 100% re: moving him if you believe he's really the next CV. But...Assuming he continues to play right around the level he has, what's the richest deal you'd offer him?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wuck View Post
    Javale Magee signed last off-season for $11M/year. Someone will overpay Speights. It happens every off-season, even with the new CBA in place.
    Magee actually has the talent to be a star, he's just a total knucklehead in every way. So in theory I can see how that makes some sense(even though it was a terrible contract given the guy's mentality).

I don't think anyone sees that kind of upside in Speights, but I could be wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,072 Times in 473 Posts

Something around 32M / 5 year deal would be ok for me. More than that, no way

Thanks
    Thanked 4,100 Times in 1,644 Posts

Three letters:

MLE

Cryotherapy Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,417 Times in 2,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adriano_leite View Post
    How do you know that he will be C. V.? You know the future? Pls give me lotto numbers so i can gamble tomorrow and win some big money.
    I'm just saying that Speights and Charlie V are both 6'10" PF's with questionable motors, too much love for streaky perimeter shooting, and a strong aversion to playing defense when they are not looking for a payday. Enjoy watching him play for the team today. It's fun stuff. But keep in mind that the front office has a plan for building a contender and getting into a bidding war on an unrestricted free agent Mo Speights after a fluke spring is not part of that plan.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Douglar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    I don't think anyone sees that kind of upside in Speights, but I could be wrong.
    OKC could use a player like him, and they just saw an audition.

On the flipside from Magee, there were a number of players who thought they would land a better contract last summer who had to wait and wait and wait, and finally got lowball offers or short contracts (let's say Jamal Crawford or Alonso Gee). If the Cavs thought they could get Speights back for the numbers you suggested (3 years, 5M-7M), I think they would consider it. I just think that some team will overpay, even in this climate. I'm not saying he's worth it, but I would think he'll make 7M or more rather than 5 or 6M.

Thanks

Nah, you don't want to get tied long-term with a role player. I agree with Douglar giving him 4 years, or plus is not a good idea. Disagree with the Charlie V comparison. Anyone could see he was just looking for a pay day. The guy never goes within 12 feet of the bucket, and has always been a lazy, no contact kind of player.

I said Charlie V at the time would be a huge bust, when everyone wanted the bum.

Three years, with incentives along with a team option, is what I'd want for Speights.

Like I said, you want to keep unless you can't help it. He's definitely worth 5-7 mil, for three years. And I think that's his market.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,025 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wuck View Post
    OKC could use a player like him, and they just saw an audition.

On the flipside from Magee, there were a number of players who thought they would land a better contract last summer who had to wait and wait and wait, and finally got lowball offers or short contracts (let's say Jamal Crawford or Alonso Gee). If the Cavs thought they could get Speights back for the numbers you suggested (3 years, 5M-7M), I think they would consider it. I just think that some team will overpay, even in this climate. I'm not saying he's worth it, but I would think he'll make 7M or more rather than 5 or 6M.
    Sorry wuck, that's a lot of wishful thinking. He's a legit big with skills, someone's gonna overpay him just for that. Omer Asik got 3 years and $25 million after coming off the bench his whole career, I think he'll get 3 years $15 mill at the very least from some team looking for a big.

Thanks

5-7 million a year would be a pretty good contract for a player like him as long as we can front load it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by howler1313 View Post
    Sorry wuck, that's a lot of wishful thinking. He's a legit big with skills, someone's gonna overpay him just for that. Omer Asik got 3 years and $25 million after coming off the bench his whole career, I think he'll get 3 years $15 mill at the very least from some team looking for a big.
    I think you and I agree completely. I think someone will overpay - MLE contract would be the very smallest, but I think he'll get more than expected.

Thanks

I'm just saying that Speights and Charlie V are both 6'10" PF's with questionable motors, too much love for streaky perimeter shooting, and a strong aversion to playing defense when they are not looking for a payday. Enjoy watching him play for the team today. It's fun stuff. But keep in mind that the front office has a plan for building a contender and getting into a bidding war on an unrestricted free agent Mo Speights after a fluke spring is not part of that plan.
    Common, Douglar, Charlie V is an insult to the position power forward. The guy has played game anything but one.