Page 7 of 155 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 2322
  1. #91
    Team Player Pick6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    638
    Thanked 386 Times in 200 Posts

    Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agency: Browns

    Quote Originally Posted by MoFlo View Post
    I'm not saying Alex Smith isn't the better QB at this point in time, but let Alex Smith throw the ball 20+ yards 52 times like Weeden did, with an inept coach & playcaller, and you'll see a dramatic drop off that 108.4 rating.
    Not to mention, its not like Smith had Manningham, Moss, Davis, Crabtree, and even Ginn to throw to.

  2. #92
    Situational Stopper DCunleaded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    491
    Thanks
    1,185
    Thanked 599 Times in 210 Posts

    Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agency: Browns

    Another potential spot for Alex Smith might be Philadelphia; Smith ran a variation of a read-option in Utah for Urb, and Shurmur's WCO influences might be the perfect combo for him.

    That said, there are other Free Agents that might help us out; I'm using potential past interactions with current Browns' coaches....

    Connections to Ray Horton:
    Greg Toler, CB ARZ: He's been gaining ground as a logical choice.
    Ryan Mundy, FS PIT: Acquiring Mundy might push the need for a FS in the draft back a few rounds.
    Rashad Johnson/James Sanders, FS ARZ: Both were backups to Rhodes in ARZ; Johnson is a couple years younger.
    Quinton Groves, OLB ARZ: He's been in the discussion, especially if ARZ moves from the 34.
    Nick Eason, DL ARZ: I'm not sure we'll even be looking at UFA DL, but he is available.
    Larry Foote, ILB PIT: Might be against the current youth movement, has diminishing skills, but he might be in the picture if Horton wants another Vet, and he doesn't break the bank. Not a fan of this signing, but I'm just acknowledging a potential Horton connection.
    Keenan Lewis CB PIT: Might be a Greg Toler-type starter, and Pittsburgh might not look to offer a legt starter's contract.

    Connections with Norv Turner (Free agents from SD):
    Dante Rosario, TE: Might be the 2nd TE Norv wants to pair with Cameron.
    Antwan Barnes, LB: Vet who had 11 sacks two seasons ago; might be a good guy to start while #6 pick gets acclimated.
    Vasquez G: I'll defer to DB26's write-up on Vasquez; we've got the cash, lets use it on guys like this!
    FA CBs from SD-Quinton Jammer, Chris Carr, and Antoine Cason: none of these guys appeal to me at all.

    Connections with Chud (FAs from Carolina, unless otherwise noted):
    Derek Anderson QB: the elephant in the room, lol. Don't want him, but his history with Chud can't be overlooked.
    Ben Hartsock TE: Typical JAG depth TE; since I haven't heard much about him, Im assuming he might be a blocking TE.
    Louis Murphy WR: Speedy WR might be in the mix as a #4 WR, his long/lean build is different than Gordon/Little/Benji.
    Captain Munnerlyn CB: I like this guy, and he's young, but I'm pretty sure he'll be looking for a big payday.

    Other random FA thoughts:
    Dannell Ellerbe ILB BAL: Always good to find a starter AND take from a rival, but he might want to get PAID if Baltimore wins the Uber Schuessel.
    Paul Kruger OLB BAL: Love this guy, but OLB FAs are usually a pretty steep $igning.
    Kevin Huber P CIN: Improving an underrated position, not to mention I like weakening AFCN rivals.
    Andy Levitre G BUF: He was a pretty popular choice when he was coming out in the draft, but might be too expensive now.
    Geoffrey Schwartz G GB: Might not be the giant road-grader Turner is looking for in a G, but very versatile OL.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to DCunleaded For This Useful Post:


  4. #93
    Playin' for keeps... Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,855
    Thanks
    1,138
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 390 Posts

    Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agency: Browns

    Quote Originally Posted by MoFlo View Post
    I'm not saying Alex Smith isn't the better QB at this point in time, but let Alex Smith throw the ball 20+ yards 52 times like Weeden did, with an inept coach & playcaller, and you'll see a dramatic drop off that 108.4 rating.
    That might be true but it doesn't change the fact that Weeden was lousy last year. I'm not saying Smith is some amazing option but I'd easily take him over a 30 year old developmental QB in the present. I get that Weeden was a 1st round pick but he's a sunk cost at this point. Why wouldn't we bring Smith in to upgrade the position in the present and draft a young strong armed project to upgrade the position in the future? Are we really so scarred from the noodle arm Frye/Quinn/Colt era that we'd rather see a 30 yard old fire inaccurate missiles all over the field hoping that he becomes decent in 2-3 years over a guy with slightly above average arm strength who has actually learned to play the position reasonably well?

  5. #94
    All Star BimboColesHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,645
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 5,311 Times in 1,424 Posts

    Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agency: Browns

    Quote Originally Posted by DCunleaded View Post
    Geoffrey Schwartz G GB: Might not be the giant road-grader Turner is looking for in a G, but very versatile OL.
    Schwartz is on the Vikings, not GB. And I can see him going to the Browns, I mean you guys did just draft his brother.

  6. #95
    Get Boobied' CavsRules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mentor, Ohio
    Posts
    5,890
    Thanks
    1,194
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 458 Posts

    Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agency: Browns

    Quote Originally Posted by JMcCurry08 View Post
    This thread should be titled: Alex smith, why or why not
    Pretty much.

    Came into this thread expecting to hear about some type of free agency news, but it's 7 pages of Alex Smith junk.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CavsRules For This Useful Post:


  8. #96
    Administrator MoFlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    11,275
    Thanks
    11,126
    Thanked 16,677 Times in 3,922 Posts

    Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agency: Browns

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    That might be true but it doesn't change the fact that Weeden was lousy last year. I'm not saying Smith is some amazing option but I'd easily take him over a 30 year old developmental QB in the present. I get that Weeden was a 1st round pick but he's a sunk cost at this point. Why wouldn't we bring Smith in to upgrade the position in the present and draft a young strong armed project to upgrade the position in the future? Are we really so scarred from the noodle arm Frye/Quinn/Colt era that we'd rather see a 30 yard old fire inaccurate missiles all over the field hoping that he becomes decent in 2-3 years over a guy with slightly above average arm strength who has actually learned to play the position reasonably well?
    Put Weeden in the shotgun, where he's most comfortable, and you'll see improvement. Nobody can succeed when not put in a position to.

    I'm not saying he'll definitely be great, but he can improve.

    Weeden's season has nothing to do with the fact that Alex Smith just simply doesn't fit an offense that wants to have a vertical passing attack.

  9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MoFlo For This Useful Post:


  10. #97
    Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Phills14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Chardon, OH
    Posts
    5,687
    Thanks
    3,536
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,928 Posts

    Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agency: Browns

    Quote Originally Posted by MoFlo View Post
    Put Weeden in the shotgun, where he's most comfortable, and you'll see improvement. Nobody can succeed when not put in a position to.

    I'm not saying he'll definitely be great, but he can improve.

    Weeden's season has nothing to do with the fact that Alex Smith just simply doesn't fit an offense that wants to have a vertical passing attack.
    These are my feelings exactly. I just don't see Alex Smith as a fit in Cleveland. Also, in order for Smith to get here he either has to be traded or released. KC, NYJ, Buf, Arz, Jac, Phi, and Oak are all potentially in the market for starting QB with the Browns. If someone badly wants him, they will trade for him and it will cost significant assets plus you have to pay him 8 million a year. If SF doesn't get what they need out of Smith and release him, I guarantee there will be a bidding war for his services. He's going to be paid like a starting QB with a long term deal. So my point is, if we want Alex Smith, we are all in with Alex Smith as our starting QB for the next few seasons.

    Weeden is 29 years old, didn't progress well enough during the year and may end up being garbage as a starting QB, I get that. But I did see some good things out of him. I also saw he was used improperly last season as well. Shotgun, up-tempo is more his style and I think Chud/Norv will bring an offense that will suit him. If he looks lousy in that offense then I would agree with the Weeden haters. However; I'm not ready to go out on that limb yet.
    Last edited by Phills14; 01-31-2013 at 08:43 AM.

  11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phills14 For This Useful Post:


  12. #98
    Camp Invitee
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agency: Browns

    Most of the big name guys won't make it to FA. Guys like Byrd, K.Lewis, C.Houston, A.Spencer or Barwin will get resigned or get the FTag if no deal can be struck. That said, here's my wishlist of probable FAs:

    1. CB Captain Munnerlyn...Chud knows him, at worst a nickel upgrade on Skrine and can probably hold down the no2 spot until someone else (rookie) emerges. He's a little man that can hit
    2. CB DJ Moore....was a pure slot CB, but a pretty good one at that and slot CBs are starters in today's NFL. Was 3rd on Bears depth chart behind 2 AllPro's, so maybe there's some no2 upside hidden.
    3. TE Keller....will probably demand big bucks, but should be worth it. Solid option to fill a big need for the next 3-4 seasons. Younger and more consistent version of Watson.
    4. DE DeVito...solid 3-4 DE, good run stuffer. Rotate him with Winn, who isn't a 3 down DE.
    5. G T.Green....was the LG for Norv the past 2 seasons. Athletic guy. Adds depth and insurance if Pinkston doesn't make it back.
    6. G/T G.Schwartz....Mitchell's brother. Versatile, can play T and G. Looks like an upgrade to Cousins as the swing T
    7. QB DA....yes, I'm going there. Would prefer Moore, but I think he will get an even better shot at starting somewhere else. I'm pretty sure he will be back with Chud as the HC now.
    8. TE/FB J.Casey....versatile and a big upgrade on Alex Smith
    9. RB Forsett....dude's been underrated for years now. 4.9 career ypc. Good receiver too. Big upgrade on Obi. Could emerge as no2 behind TRich.
    10. RB R.Brown...Norv used him as 3rd down back, caught 49 balls, career high.

    Those guys shouldn't cost too much but would fill many urgent needs before the draft.

  13. #99
    All Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    4,037
    Thanks
    2,418
    Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,056 Posts

    Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agency: Browns

    So Goldhammer said this AM that LaCanfora said the Browns are at the top of teams interested in Michael Vick

  14. #100
    The Original HN3108 bigfoot5415's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    2,457
    Thanks
    383
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 537 Posts

    Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agency: Browns

    For Play:
    Dwayne Bowe: Despite a down year, he still would fit nicely into our lineup. Having him will push Little into a slot wr role. Having the 3 of them with Benjamin would be a solid rotation.

    Mike Wallace: See above. ( I would settle for Hartline, Jennings, or Amendola as a 2WR)

    Resign Ben Watson for 1 more year. Unless we wanna spend big on a TE.

    Geoff Scwartz: Id start him at RG, push Luvao to the bench.

    DRC or Laron Landry: Either fill the CB in FA or the draft. If we decide draft is the route to go (Milliner), then sign Landry at S.

    Either TE or another big reciever are needed.

    Lastly....anybody who can punt a football. 2 legs are not required.


    For Depth:
    Cadillac Williams
    MoMass (as a 4WR or 5WR)
    Aaron Curry: I could see him making in impact, despite his lackluster career.


    I am intrested to see how we use our cap room. I know were not going to spend it all, but I would like to see some of it used. Although, I imagine alot of it will be to resign our key players down the road.
    Wiggins Watch 2014

  15. #101
    Bania'd Soda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Side of CLE
    Posts
    8,017
    Thanks
    4,229
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 2,084 Posts

    Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agency: Browns

    Quote Originally Posted by JMcCurry08 View Post
    So Goldhammer said this AM that LaCanfora said the Browns are at the top of teams interested in Michael Vick
    First off... Hammer also quoted an executive (Lombardi) saying that Joe Haden was too slow for the NFL and that Kyle Wilson would be the better player. He'll put something out there for reaction every time.

    Second, I'm hating LaCanfora more and more every time he talks. He's among the Art Modell sycophants and is from Baltimore. He's big on lobbying for Art's induction into the Hall of Fame. IMO, he only mentions Cleveland if the purpose is for agony. I never hear him talk-up the City or the team.

    Cavaliers | Browns | Indians | Buckeyes | Red Hawks

  16. #102
    All Star Giambiwannabe7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,132
    Thanks
    2,671
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

    Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agency: Browns

    Quote Originally Posted by Phills14 View Post
    These are my feelings exactly. I just don't see Alex Smith as a fit in Cleveland. Also, in order for Smith to get here he either has to be traded or released. KC, NYJ, Buf, Arz, Jac, Phi, and Oak are all potentially in the market for starting QB with the Browns. If someone badly wants him, they will trade for him and it will cost significant assets plus you have to pay him 8 million a year. If SF doesn't get what they need out of Smith and release him, I guarantee there will be a bidding war for his services. He's going to be paid like a starting QB with a long term deal. So my point is, if we want Alex Smith, we are all in with Alex Smith as our starting QB for the next few seasons.

    Weeden is 29 years old, didn't progress well enough during the year and may end up being garbage as a starting QB, I get that. But I did see some good things out of him. I also saw he was used improperly last season as well. Shotgun, up-tempo is more his style and I think Chud/Norv will bring an offense that will suit him. If he looks lousy in that offense then I would agree with the Weeden haters. However; I'm not ready to go out on that limb yet.
    Exactly. And it's not like there's some sure fire next big thing QB in the top 10 of the draft anyways. We don't have second rounder as is, and we have a bunch of holes yet to fill. If we focus on our holes at LB and the secondary, we have the makings of a pretty damn good D in a division that almost mandates that as a prereq for success. You just don't bring in guys like Chud and Norv, with some very promising skill position players, and a QB who has the skills to take advantage of their desire to go downfield, and throw all that away after one year of subpar numbers under a dunderhead coach. You have to give the guy another shot. If he fails, fine, throw his ass to the scrap heap. Until then, continue to build the rest of the team.

  17. #103
    Cavs fan from S. Carolina selby56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bowling Green, OH
    Posts
    1,384
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 846 Times in 372 Posts

    Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agency: Browns

    Surprised to see some people bringing up my dude, Captain Munnerlyn (Go Gamecocks)

    I love the guy from his USC days, but I just don't think he is cut out to be a #2 corner. He is the perfect nickle corner in my opinion and is a pretty good upgrade over Skrine. But if we sign him, we still need to address the #2 corner spot.

  18. #104
    Its Happening!!!! Shakalu M.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gimpsuit
    Posts
    10,940
    Thanks
    4,145
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 3,486 Posts

    Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agency: Browns

    Quote Originally Posted by MoFlo View Post
    Put Weeden in the shotgun, where he's most comfortable, and you'll see improvement. Nobody can succeed when not put in a position to.

    I'm not saying he'll definitely be great, but he can improve.

    Weeden's season has nothing to do with the fact that Alex Smith just simply doesn't fit an offense that wants to have a vertical passing attack.
    This is my exact problem with Smith. He just isn't remotely a fit for a Chud/Norv offense. Incidentally, Weeden is the prototypical QB that would fit this offense. The struggle will be if he can get it together mentally and improve his accuracy. I'm willing to give him another year because I think he was seriously hurt by absolutely inept coaching. Whether the new regime agrees is another story.

    Smith had been on a roll, but there is a reason he didn't show anything until Harbaugh the QB whisperer became his coach. There's also a reason he was supplanted by a rookie. I sincerely doubt he'll duplicate the success he had the last couple years.
    Ass pennies

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Shakalu M.D. For This Useful Post:


  20. #105
    Roll Tribe! TheRealKTRAIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    North Canton
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agency: Browns

    Need to be a damn QB and stay with him.... I do not want Smith, lets keep Weeden and see what he does.... Bring in Greg Jennings at wideout then your defiantly going to be able to evaluate a QB when you finally have a good wide receiver

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRealKTRAIN For This Useful Post:


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •