Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Oden

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 474 Posts

Default Re: Oden (Cavs expected to offer contract after trade deadline)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    Actually at the very best we'd have one of the most defensively dominating centers in the league who was a former number one pick playing over thirty minutes a night.

At the very worst we'd have a guy who doesn't play at all because he's physically incapable.

At the very middle we'd have a guy who can play twenty or so minutes a night and contribute defensively.

Worth taking a shot even if we only end up in the middle. There's literally no downside. Even if Oden can't stay healthy, we could simply void his contract in the summer of 2014, and he wouldn't cost us that much to begin with.
    I'm talking a realistic best. The odds of him coming back and being one of the most defensively dominating centers are probably less than 1%. Injuries forced him out of the league for years, to hope he returns without issues as his former self is probably not wise. Don't get me wrong I love the guy and followed him through college, I just don't see how this could be a positivee move for us.

In my mind there is nothing worse than false hope in a locker room. Say he comes back and has an amazing game and then is sidelined for 3 weeks and constantly in and out of the rotation. You need stability to build a winning team.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zen For This Useful Post:

6th Man
    Thanks

We're talking about a guy who for the next few years is most likely a 10-20 minute guy off the bench. He's only averaging 22 mins thus far in his NBA career, and it's doubtful he'll average much higher than that. There's big guys with much less talent that are getting paid more than we'll have to pay him, and if he is able to stretch his minutes into a starting Center, than a huge bonus. At this point, I don't see why not.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 1,030 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    I'm talking a realistic best. The odds of him coming back and being one of the most defensively dominating centers are probably less than 1%. Injuries forced him out of the league for years, to hope he returns without issues as his former self is probably not wise. Don't get me wrong I love the guy and followed him through college, I just don't see how this could be a positivee move for us.

In my mind there is nothing worse than false hope in a locker room. Say he comes back and has an amazing game and then is sidelined for 3 weeks and constantly in and out of the rotation. You need stability to build a winning team.
    Actually, you need talent on a winning team. Something which Oden has a ton of. Of course, it also comes with the risk that that talent has trouble staying on the court. The best thing out of this is that it is just a small money risk that goes away in a year and a half if he doesn't work out. Even at 15 to 20 minutes a night he'd still be valuable. Remember, once a time Andy used to play around 22 minutes a night. Plus, it's a hell of a lot better choice then signing the next Harangody.

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Fact is we don't know what Oden will be able to do, but if we sign him, we'll have bought the right to find out.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Resident Microbiologist Dr. Gymbo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,725 Times in 786 Posts

The Cavs have a history of taking a flier on injured players. The motivation at the time was different, but remember when they signed Leon Powe for 2 years? They paid him an entire year as he rehabbed. Powe was a rotational big at best even if he healed properly. Oden could be another limited rotational big, but I'd like to think his size and premium position give him a better ceiling.

I could definitely see the Cavs doing something like this as long as the cost isn't too high or doesn't hamper their FA flexibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSurge View Post
    To be fair, "Heat Reporters" have only been on the job a few years.

Probably got on 2K and put in work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 393 Posts

Yeah, this is a low risk gamble.
    I was raised by a cup of coffee.

Coming out of his shell.. Lumthemad's Avatar
    Thanks

Got to agree with the concept of adding talent regardless of injury history in this circumstance. We scored a nice player with Livingston who i was concerned was washed up and he's proved himself to be a viable player for us. As long as the Oden contact isn't something silly, it is a solid pick up on our part if it comes to happen. We can use a guy who can wipe away some of the mistakes Kyrie makes upfront defensively.
    Sometimes madness is the best kind of logic

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,531 Times in 4,044 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post

If there's a 1% chance, it's still technically realistic.

Cryotherapy Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,822 Times in 2,094 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    If there's a 1% chance, it's still technically realistic.
    Somone's got to post it.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Douglar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 503 Posts

"Nevermind Oden. Just give me another chance!"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jlegg21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 561 Posts

Id rather sign Trajan Langdon again and move him to center before we ever see Hollins skipping across the court in a Cavs uniform again.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 1,030 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jlegg21 View Post
    "Nevermind Oden. Just give me another chance!"

Some things should never even be done once, let alone twice.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Scholar For This Useful Post:

Mark Price's Shot Coach amurderofcrows's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone old enough to remember Luke's Dad when he returned to play? I am. He was Big Z injury wise before Big Z. Just a short Wiki Blurb, post foot and ankle surgeries.

"Providing a reliable backup to McHale and Parish, Walton played in a career-high 80 games and received the NBA Sixth Man Award that season en route to the NBA Championship, becoming the only player to have ever won an NBA Finals MVP, Sixth Man Award, and regular season MVP.

Walton injured himself again the following season, but returned for the 1987 playoffs. He spent the 1987–88 season on the injured list. He attempted a comeback in February 1990, but injury intervened and he retired from the game."

Bad knees or not, Oden would be a pain to move or back down defensively.

edit to add OT link from Bleacher Report. LINK
    Grant is going to have some massive ammo for the 2013 draft.
    Scoreboard Baby!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amurderofcrows View Post
    Anyone old enough to remember Luke's Dad when he returned to play? I am. He was Big Z injury wise before Big Z. Just a short Wiki Blurb, post foot and ankle surgeries.

"Providing a reliable backup to McHale and Parish, Walton played in a career-high 80 games and received the NBA Sixth Man Award that season en route to the NBA Championship, becoming the only player to have ever won an NBA Finals MVP, Sixth Man Award, and regular season MVP.

Walton injured himself again the following season, but returned for the 1987 playoffs. He spent the 1987–88 season on the injured list. He attempted a comeback in February 1990, but injury intervened and he retired from the game."

Bad knees or not, Oden would be a pain to move or back down defensively.

edit to add OT link from Bleacher Report. LINK
    Grant is going to have some massive ammo.
    I remember and I also seen him play live before he was hurt in buffalo against McAdoo. OJ was in the stands not too far away from us. I wish I could really remember, it's all just a blur now...

Mark Price's Shot Coach amurderofcrows's Avatar
    Thanks

lol
    I have Days where yesterday is a blur.
    Scoreboard Baby!