Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,203 Times in 1,370 Posts

Default Favorite Non-Indian?

I can tell there are a lot of fans here of MLB, not just the Indians. As we head to Spring Training, it had me curious...

1) Who is your favorite non-Indians of all-time?

2) Who is your current favorite non-Indian?

Here's mine:

#1:

Sweetest swing I've ever seen. Also the greatest player I've ever watched live. Junior was not only great, you could tell he really, truly enjoyed playing baseball and respected the game. Had he stayed healthy, he'd be the Home Run King.

#2:

Andrew McCutchen is just a joy to watch out there. Incredibly talented, fun to watch, respects the game, treats fans (and kids especially) wonderfully...just an outstanding player. It doesn't hurt his case that he helped me win my Fantasy Baseball League last year.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sgm405 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,774 Posts

Default Re: Favorite Non-Indian?

#1:

The Big Unit was one of the most dominating pitchers in history, and come on, he blew up a bird with his fastball. He was a force into his mid-40's as well.

#2:

Throw me on his bandwagon, I think Trout is going to be legendary.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,795 Times in 1,889 Posts

All-time is definitely Ken Griffey, Jr for me as well.

Currently? Gotta go with either Robinson Cano or Brandon Phillips

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,429 Times in 1,764 Posts

I don't like him, but I respect Ichiro's talent. One of the most prolific non-power hitters the league has ever seen.

I'm also intrigued by Stephen Strasburg, because I'm interested in phenoms in any sport.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shoes22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 30,591 Times in 9,752 Posts

Manny was a non-Indian for longer than he was an Indian, but I assume he wouldn't count.

Rickey Henderson was my favorite non-Indian player as a kid. And that was BEFORE I discovered the way he talked, which then vaulted him into favorite athlete of all time territory. In honor of THE Rickey Henderson, I post these videos in order of greatness. But if you've never heard Rickey talk before, start with the bottom two and then go back to David Cross's imitation:

I am also known as Liberace.

Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

BET SLOTS FULL- 6/28/2014

Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko, MalTalm, pr26. Vindicate2, Warren G

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Oi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Favorite all time - Chipper Jones
    Favorite Current - Josh Hamilton

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,158 Times in 1,049 Posts

Fav all time non Indian: Barry Bonds
    Fav current non Indian: Pujols

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JMcCurry08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,647 Times in 777 Posts

Ricky Henderson, pick up the phone! It's me! You!

Favorite non-Indians player of all time:

First true legend of the game. A true innovator of the game, a guy who came up with several strategies that are dogma of the game today (the hit and run, catcher backing up 1B, the hook slide). Would do anything to win- berate and attack umpires, spike guys, etc. My favorite- back at that time, there was only one umpire on the field. If Kelly caught him not paying attention, he would go straight from 1st to 3rd. Cut straight across the diamond. World class drinker, too. The guy could run up a $200 tab in one night- this was before the turn of the century, not even sure how that is possible (pretty sure shots were a nickle then). Great story about him where the owner of his team, the Beaneaters, had hired professional investigators to track him because he thought he was drinking too much. The owner confronted Kelly, telling him that PIs had told him that they saw Kelly in the bar at 3am the night before a game drinking lemonade. He said there was no chance in hell he was drinking lemonade at that time of night, it was straight bourbon- what kind of pantywaste did he take him for? The guy popularized the autograph.

He was a member of the first union attempt, the Players League. He was offered a ridiculous sum to abandon the league and come back to the Beaneaters, but stuck to the effort out of loyalty to the other players. Another great story: back in that time, to be considered 'in play', all you had to do was make an announcement. One game, Kelly was seated on the bench when a ball was fouled towards the dug out. Kelly stood up, shouted: "Kelly now catching for Boston!', caught the ball, and it was recorded as an out. Things like this just can't happen anymore, and it is a shame.

Favorite current non-Indian:

The living embodiment of the Natural. Not since Mickey Mantle has their been a more talented player judged for what he isn't rather than for what he is. I remember back when he was drafted, hearing a scout I had met gush about how he was the best high school player he had ever seen. He took 4 years off from organized baseball, a time in which he sunk pretty much to the bottom of the barrel. Even before that, he had never played about A+ ball. He returns, gets picked in the Rule V, goes straight to the bigs after 4 years off.... and blossoms immediately into a star. The best Rule V pick since Clemente. He then gets dumped by the Reds for Edinson Volquez because they worry he is going to flame out again. Instead, he goes to the Rangers and becomes an MVP. Then the injuries start, and he is expected to break down. Yet, what happens? He keeps coming back, and keeps hitting. Leads the Rangers to the World Series. And how do they reward that? They let him go in FA to their rival. Then blame him because he didn't call back and offer them a chance to match. What great player gets treated like that?

I love the guy because he is honest to a fault. He slips, falls, gets back up, falls again and gets right back up. He is under a scrutiny that few players face. No other hitter of his caliber has hit FA and seen such disinterest. It blows my mind. And how long can he play? Not sure, but at this point, I'm not putting anything past him. I'll take the guy who faces adversity like he has (especially self-inflicted) yet continues to fight back. Great talent, great story, and who knows, maybe even one day the Hall.
    Last edited by macbdog; 02-18-2013 at 02:15 PM.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to macbdog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,267 Times in 1,416 Posts

All-Time: Ken Griffey Jr. If you grew up in 90s, Griffey was the man.
    Right now: David Wright. Him and Jose Reyes a few years ago were fun to watch.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BimboColesHair For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

Vlad the Impaler is my all time favorite baseball player, Indian or not.

Right now...Andrew McCutchen. I go to about as many Pirates games each year, as I do Indians...Easily is him.
    If we call an older woman chasing after a younger boy a "Cougar"....... Is it safe to say that we can call an old man chasing after a younger boy a "Nittany Lion"???

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,056 Times in 1,582 Posts

All time - Barry Bonds - Easily the best player I have ever seen. He was unbelievable... roids or not... I don't really care.

Currently - I don't really have one. Not sure why. I do really like Robinson Cano.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,873 Times in 3,101 Posts

Greg Maddux. He just knew how to pitch. Extremely fun to watch.

Derek Jeter. Just a class act. I hate him for what he does to us, but he has had a hell of a career.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,378 Times in 2,184 Posts

So Ghandi is out?

I go with Mother Theresa.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Chipper Jones and Clayton Kershaw.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    Greg Maddux. He just knew how to pitch. Extremely fun to watch.
    I absolutely hate Greg Maddux. Absolutely detested him. I have never ever seen a pitcher get awarded a bigger strike zone then he did. At times, it was literally a whole foot outside the plate. You can think I am exaggerating, but, I remember the camera shots showing this. I can't give him credit for what he supposedly accomplished as a player with this going on. It was so absurd.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Scholar For This Useful Post: