• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2018 NBA Playoffs

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Do you guys realize how good Boston fans have it right now? The Celtics are going to rule the East for the next 12 years. The Red Sox are 17-4. And the Patriots are in the Super Bowl every god damn year, Tom Brady refuses to retire. Im so tired of that shitty city and their horrid fans.

Still not as bad as philadelphia fans, IMHO

Warriors have more paths to victory than any team I have ever seen. With Curry out, they’re not a potent three point shooting team (even with him they don’t have that many shooters), Durant sucked for most of the game and then padded his stats in the 4th while the Warriors had a 10-13 point lead, and they win by playing shut down defense. Durant is shooting 25% from three these playoffs (10 for 40), 25% on wide open threes and 33% on open threes. This asshole shot 50% on wide open threes, 50% on open threes, and 57% on contested threes in last year’s finals.

Fuck you, Durant.
This all day

Some little playoff tidbits:

—In the 64 minutes Ingles has been off court for the Jazz, they’ve been outscored by 18.7 points per 100 possessions and have an ORating of 95.3. When Ingles is on court, the Jazz’s ORating is 119.3 and overall, the Jazz are outscoring the Thunder by 22.6 points per 100 possessions. The Jazz are a whopping 41.3 points per 100 possessions better with Ingles on court in their series than with him off.

—In the 43 minutes that Mirotic has been off court for the Pelicans, NO has a 95.5 ORating and 119.3 DRating. When he’s on court, NO has a 122.2 ORating and 103 DRating. NO is a crazy 43.4 points per 100 possessions better with him on court than off court.

The Pelicans played 36 minutes against Portland with AD ON court and Mirotic off court. The Pelicans were -11.0 per 100 possessions during those 36 minutes (103.3 ORat, 114.3 DRat).

The Pelicans played 30 minutes against Portland with AD OFF court and Mirotic ON court. The Pelicans were +14.8 per 100 possessions during those 36 minutes (119.7 ORat, 104.9 DRat).

Mirotic was an absolute steal for the Pelicans and Ingles is one if the most underrated players in the league.

Nice post. This is related to what fundamentally bothers me about Koby Altman. Koby has gone through/acquired 11 different players for the Cavs this year (Calderon, Green, Rose, Wade, IT, Crowder, Zizic, Nance, Clarkson, Hill, Hood). Some have been mild hits (Calderon, Green) others have been huge misses. But at least so far none of them have been big wins in terms of finding an underrated "diamond in the rough" who would pay off big in the playoffs, even though he had a huge trading chip with Kyrie. No Oladipos, also no one like Mirotic. If you look at the good playoff performers this year, many of them would probably have been available to us through trade -- Middleton, Mirotic, probably Donovan Mitchell (Utah would have made an unproven rookie available in a Kyrie trade...how would a trade of Jingles/Mitchell/Favors for Kyrie have looked now?), maybe Jrue Holiday, etc. There are other underrated players out there I'm sure.

As a talent evaluator Koby seems like he's at the level of an intelligent fan who checks out Basketball Reference stats and watches some NBA League Pass and is like, "hey that guy looks pretty good". I always sort of understand why he's doing what he's doing (although centering a Kyrie trade around IT was unforgiveably dumb, even I could tell he wouldn't be a good fit). But despite a lot of opportunity he has never shown that ability to find guys being underrated or overlooked by the rest of the league who had major potential as contributors. And everyone here seems to excuse him because he couldn't have predicted who would be good -- but that's exactly his job!

Anyway, he's doing a lot of learning on the job this year, hopefully he'll get better.

It will be a minor miracle if I make it through the day without soiling myself...

Nice post. This is related to what fundamentally bothers me about Koby Altman. Koby has gone through/acquired 11 different players for the Cavs this year (Calderon, Green, Rose, Wade, IT, Crowder, Zizic, Nance, Clarkson, Hill, Hood). Some have been mild hits (Calderon, Green) others have been huge misses. But at least so far none of them have been big wins in terms of finding an underrated "diamond in the rough" who would pay off big in the playoffs, even though he had a huge trading chip with Kyrie. No Oladipos, also no one like Mirotic. If you look at the good playoff performers this year, many of them would probably have been available to us through trade -- Middleton, Mirotic, probably Donovan Mitchell (Utah would have made an unproven rookie available in a Kyrie trade...how would a trade of Jingles/Mitchell/Favors for Kyrie have looked now?), maybe Jrue Holiday, etc. There are other underrated players out there I'm sure.

As a talent evaluator Koby seems like he's at the level of an intelligent fan who checks out Basketball Reference stats and watches some NBA League Pass and is like, "hey that guy looks pretty good". I always sort of understand why he's doing what he's doing (although centering a Kyrie trade around IT was unforgiveably dumb, even I could tell he wouldn't be a good fit). But despite a lot of opportunity he has never shown that ability to find guys being underrated or overlooked by the rest of the league who had major potential as contributors. And everyone here seems to excuse him because he couldn't have predicted who would be good -- but that's exactly his job!

Anyway, he's doing a lot of learning on the job this year, hopefully he'll get better.

This post is wildly unfair. Guy didn't get the job until late July, and.... whatever, there's no point to this discussion.

Koby negotiated all the trades and signings we did this year. Before he got the job he was high up in the Cavs organization and presumably involved in talent evaluation, so he wasn't coming in cold. He probably makes $1 million a year or more so he would be expected to perform at a very high level. I don't see how it's unfair to observe that based on his first year he doesn't seem to be a particularly good judge of talent so far.

Of course, maybe that's what happens when you underpay for top GM talent (as the Cavs notoriously do) and stick a 34 year old rookie in the job when you are totally overhauling your team with massive implications for the future.

Amazing how important Van Vleet is for the Raps. Really just an average team without him.
Man I’m so conflicted

I really want Beal so I want the Wizards to lose

But I also think it’s funny how people fall for the Raptors meme every year and them getting taken out in round 1 would be PRICELESS

plus we’d get home court if we beat Indiana

@Ohio help me out here my dude

Man I’m so conflicted

I really want Beal so I want the Wizards to lose

But I also think it’s funny how people fall for the Raptors meme every year and them getting taken out in round 1 would be PRICELESS

plus we’d get home court if we beat Indiana

@Ohio help me out here my dude
I'm rooting for the Wizards. Yeah it hurts the Beal sweepstakes but facing the Wizards, especially with homecourt, would definitely be easier. Neither team is very good, though. Honestly think Indiana is better than both.

Plus, yeah, the meme is too good.

And there should be a fair amount of other players available this Summer even if Beal isn't.

Washington losing in the first round on purpose to not play Cleveland.

OKC may very well lose this series 4-1 to Utah huh? Snyder is a damn good coach.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."