• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2018 NBA Draft - June 21

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Any JJJ skeptics in here?

Trying not to get my hopes up...but...I think there's a growing sliver of a chance he falls to us at #8. Doncic/Ayton will almost certainly go above him...serious rumblings that Bagley and Bamba could go above him...if the right teams are high on Carter, MPJ and Young, then he falls to #8.

Trying not to get my hopes up...but...I think there's a growing sliver of a chance he falls to us at #8. Doncic/Ayton will almost certainly go above him...serious rumblings that Bagley and Bamba could go above him...if the right teams are high on Carter, MPJ and Young, then he falls to #8.

Check this scenario...he is going to be there at 8, we pick him and he busts.

1.Ayton/Doncic
2.Doncic.Ayton
3.Young
4.Bagley
5.Porter
6.Bamba
7.Carter
8.JJJ

Are you sold on him completely?

1.Ayton/Doncic
2.Doncic.Ayton
3.Young
4.Bagley
5.Porter
6.Bamba
7.Carter
8.JJJ

Pretty sold...at the age of a typical high school senior, he was DPOY in a major conference. Has that even happened before? Got to be a top-5 pure defensive prospect of the last decade+.

And then, of course, offensively he projects to be a very good 3-point shooter at the very least. I'm not sure there's any instance of a player shooting as well as he did, on such high volume, at such a young age, while also shooting well from the line, who didn't end up being at least a decent outside shooter at the NBA level.

And then if his ballhandling ability continues to develop, how do you even guard the guy? Basically would be a more athletic Durant at that point. I think his ceiling is really high offensively thanks to the combination of his shooting threat, size, and natural fluid athleticism.

Not at all. I only think his problem will be a team that drafts him high needs him to be more than he can be right now. He's not going to get you 20points like bagley or carter will. Ideally he would go to us or the mavs a team that he can play as an elite role player right away and then grow his game. He and Bamba both have a great understanding of the game and a keen intellect.

Speaking of bamba in his recent draft workout video hes quoting his release times in fractions of a second. Last guy who spoke like this was Kawhi who had his entire footwork motion captured once so he could shave a few fractions of a second of his first step. bodes well for his growth if you ask me

Not at all. I only think his problem will be a team that drafts him high needs him to be more than he can be right now. He's not going to get you 20points like bagley or carter will. Ideally he would go to us or the mavs a team that he can play as an elite role player right away and then grow his game. He and Bamba both have a great understanding of the game and a keen intellect.

Speaking of bamba in his recent draft workout video hes quoting his release times in fractions of a second. Last guy who spoke like this was Kawhi who had his entire footwork motion captured once so he could shave a few fractions of a second of his first step. bodes well for his growth if you ask me

Jackson could end up being the best player in this draft, but he won't become that overnight. He was somewhat limited by playing in the MSU offense, just like Miles Bridges was. But he can be an elite rim protector, a threat from mid and long range. There's a question about how dominate on the boards he can be, especially on offense.

However, he also can switch on all five positions and has a wingspan that is just insane (7'5). He can be an elite defender very quickly, has a nice spin move to the basket, and can stretch the floor. He's a good FT shooter, so that tells you he can have the solid range and isn't a flash in the pan shooting from distance.

His offensive game will take a few years to fully develop, but if it does he could be elite on the court and piece to build around. May not deliver as much in year one as Ayton or others, but he may deliver more over time.

1.Ayton/Doncic
2.Doncic.Ayton
3.Young
4.Bagley
5.Porter
6.Bamba
7.Carter
8.JJJ

It would be insane if he was there at #8... Remember a month ago people would laugh if we said that... Hell I think someone said they would suck Izzo's dick if he was there at #8... We need someone to pull that post back up!... Lmao

So, after not watching any high school or college basketball for two years, I've gotten back into studying prospects pretty intently... I've always enjoyed the draft process and with the Cavs having a top notch pick, I've been particularly focused on some of top guys coming in this year... It's been refreshing to start watching some of these prospects without any preconceived notions or think how others have them ranked...

I really feel confident about who will be available with the 8th pick... This is a particularly deep draft; the Cavs will be able to get a pretty good player... While there's a drop-off from the top-2 to the next tier, there's a lot of guys available in the next tier and the Cavs will more than likely have their choice...

What's refreshing is that historically the back-end of the lottery has produced some real good NBA players: Devin Booker, Myles Turner, CJ McCollum, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, Andre Drummond, Kemba Walker, Gordon Hayward, DeMar DeRozan, etc... You're basically looking at 1-2 guys in the 8-14 slots that really take off and become foundational players for their teams..

Are there available in this draft? I tend to think so...

Here's my top choices for the #8 pick:

1). Trae Young--
From perusing this thread throughout the season, it seems like I'm in the minority... I truly believe he's "the guy" the Cavs should all hope is there... There's a good chance he makes it, granted the Magic don't take him...

If you want to be a successful lead guard in this league, you have to be able to produce on the offensive end… Young can do that in spades…

All the talk of Young is surrounding his shooting, but to me, he’s the best passer in this class…

View: https://twitter.com/preptopros/status/959136182658654215

View: https://twitter.com/preptopros/status/942981932073222144

View: https://twitter.com/preptopros/status/1003675602669449216

In watching him, I was just really impressed with his vision and to see things before they even happened… He was consistently setting up his teammates for easy opportunities… Good players can get a shot for themselves, great players can get a shot for themselves and for others…

Yes, the shooting will be there and the range will always come up… Cleaning The Glass really did a good break down, looking to how such a good shooter only shot 36%... TL;DR he took an immense amount of deep 3’s; by looking at other shots, he was extremely efficient…. If he’s able to cut down on the deep 3’s, he’ll be a high-level shooter at the next level…

I’ve heard all the concerns about Young and believe they’re valid… He’s not a good defender and likely isn’t going to be at the next level… But that’s not what you’re drafting him for and that’s not going to be what you’re asking him to do… If he’s a good enough offensive player, that will outweigh any contributions on the defensive end…

What really struck me about watching Young was the role he was asked to take on as a true freshmen… Oklahoma really had no other shot creator within their starting unit and really didn’t have one on their bench… Lon Kruger asked a true freshmen to have every possession run though his hands and funneled the offense all through him… The first half of the season this worked… Once they got into conference play and the scouting report got out, Young struggled to adjust some… Teams were physical with him, forced him into bad shots and his efficiency went down…

The key thing to take away from this was more so the negatives people describe Young with (high volume chucker) was really what was asked of Young at Oklahoma.. The offense ran through him and the full offensive burden was placed on Young’s shoulders… That doesn’t make his decisions and shots inexcusable but this, to an extent, is how Oklahoma operated…

Now, he does need to improve his shot selection and, at times, his carelessness with the ball.. It seemed like he was in a good rhythm to start the year but got a bit too carried away with the long leash and freedom he had..

Bringing Young on a team with a guy like LeBron, would really be the best thing for him.. Having some structure and having someone to learn from is what Young needs.… Being able to improve his shot selection and go to a team where he’s not relied upon to be “the guy” early on, would be the best thing for his development…

I really believe Young is a guy made for the modern game… He can shoot and pass with the best of them and is what teams are looking for at the PG position,.,

2). Wendell Carter JR--
Good player? Yes… Great player? I don’t know..

Carter Jr. was overshadowed at Duke but his play showed up with his more limited opportunities… In the NBA with more space and better shooting surrounding him will likely lead to a larger impact… At Duke with a couple of non-shooters (Bagley and Duval) and Bagley occupying most of the big touches, Carter wasn’t put in the optimal situation to show off his skillset..

Carter is a guy to me who does a lot of things well… His best asset is his low-post scoring… For a kid this young, he really does show good footwork, patience and a comfort level with his back to the basket…

View: https://twitter.com/preptopros/status/1005537591834357760

View: https://twitter.com/preptopros/status/938042883734671365

He’s passes the ball well for a big and is continuing to develop his jump shot… Didn’t really see him operate too much in the P&R at Duke but given his skillset, I see him being able to operate as a roll man or popping..

Defensively is really where I have some concerns… While not a slow mover, he’s not the easy moving athlete that Bagley is… I certainly didn’t see Carter get exposed but when he’s pulled away from the basket, can he defend the P&R efficiently? How will he handle being the five in transition vs some smaller, faster lineups? As he develops his body, I feel like this will improve but it’s a question mark for me…

I understand the Horford comparisons with Carter Jr. being proficient in a lot of different areas but I see Carter as better on the offensive end and Horford much better on the defensive end… I couldn’t help but think of Myles Turner some while watching Carter..

I really do like Carter and think he has the highest floor, but in order to be a successful big in today’s game you have to be efficient defensively… Carter can do that but how good of a defender can he be? That’ll determine his ceiling…

3). Collin Sexton--
If you’re taking Sexton, to me, you’re really betting on the person and the player and hoping his projection pans out… Because right now, I’m not sure this is someone ready to contribute consistently at the NBA level… He’s not an efficient shooter, he’s not an overly recognizeable defender, his passing and rebounding stats were meh… What is he?

Right now, he’s a lead guard who attacks… His first step beat college defenders consistently off the dribble and once inside, he’s one of the better athletes around the rim, particularly for his size… His free throw rate, especially for a guard, was really good and converted at a good rate…

https://twitter.com/preptopros/status/946559607438282752

https://twitter.com/preptopros/status/1005948914451828736

Avery Johnson put him in a lot of P&R situations and he did do well there.. While not the passer Young is, I do think Sexton is capable… What I would compare it to is football and quarterbacks… I don’t see Sexton as a guy who will throw teammates open but rather will hit guys when they come open..

While his jumper is a work in progress, it’s not broken or bad by any means… His near 78 FT% rate shows there’s something to work with and a pathway to being a good shooter with work…Perhaps some Synergy guys can chime in, but in watching it seems like he’s much more efficient shooter off the dribble when he can get in rhythm as opposed to being as spot-up shooter…

What’s interesting about Gilbert’s tweet during Sexton’s workout is I have been thinking Sexton is the type of guy I could see Gilbert falling in love with… We all know Oladipo was a guy Gilbert was pushing hard and Sexton is cut from the same cloth…By all accounts he’s a great kid, not a big social media guy, had a 4.0 at Alabama and burst onto the scene after being a relative unknown recruit early on… After seeing Oladipo tear up the Cavs this year and seeing him blossom onto the scene, I could see Gilbert drawing some parallels there and pulling for this kid come draft day..

By all accounts, most great players are great athletes… Sexton has the going for him and some skills that will translate well… My worries lie within some skills, which can be taught and worked on, and how long will it take for them to come?

He’s a guy who would be an “okay” pick for me… Nothing really stands out to me regarding Sexton.. I like the kid, think he’s a good player but worry there will need to be some developing to be a high level player…

Sleeper: Donte DiVincenzo—
This is more of a pick if the Cavs trade back from 8, into the late lottery or early teens.. If so, DiVincenzo would be at the top of my list… In watching Villanova a lot this year early on, trying to get a feel for Bridges, Spellman and Brunson, DiVincenzo really popped out to me… I didn’t think at the time he would be declaring but his all-around game, scoring ability and the way he played the game really intrigued me…. He plays with a swagger and fire I enjoyed…

The tourney will get him drafted in the 1st round but the groundwork was laid earlier in the year that people took notice of him…

As we did see in the tourney, he really is an explosive scorer.. In part because he can do a lot on the offensive end (shoot, pass, dribble, create is an explosive athlete), so there’s really not a limitation you can put on him…

I think his best role is going to be as a guy who is asked to go out and get his own bucket… You saw Jay Wright put the ball in his hands a lot when Brunson left the floor, or even to break Brunson when he was on the floor, so there is a certain level of responsibility he’s fared well with.. He can get others shot but he’s at his best looking for his shots.. He relies a good amount on his 3PT shot, which can be streaky, but he’s good at creating space…

To me, he’s a shooting guard at the next level.. His wingspan will hurt in that regard, but putting him at the shooting guard spot where he can focus on attacking and getting his own, with the secondary asset of finding others is really where he will be used best… He can play point guard in a pinch but I really don’t think setting up and finding others the whole game is using him best…

Overall, I just enjoyed watching him play… Brought me back some Delonte West visions… He did have a tendency to get somewhat reckless at times but it’s a part of who he is and something teams will have to live with…

Unknown: Michael Porter JR
What will his medicals be? For a guy who’s been experiencing back issues since sophomore year of high school, it’s certainly a worrisome injury; backs in short are tricky..

I’m not going to go on about MJP because truthfully, I haven’t seen him play to an extent I feel 100% making comments on him… I watched his limited college minutes but you can’t make an evaluation off of that; and neither can you off YouTube mixtapes..

By all account the talent is there and it’s hard to find two-way wings in this league—can he be a high level one? If the answer is yes and his medicals check out, he has to be at the top of consideration at #8…

Eh, I'll pass: The Bridges'—
Look, I think both Mikal Bridges and Miles Bridges will be good role players in the right situation... But to come away with one of them at #8 with the talent available and how this pick was acquired, I will be highly disappointed...

Mikal will be taken inside the top-10 most likely because the rise of the 3&D wing revolution and how importance its become... But beyond that, what will he become? I keep circling back to Trevor Ariza, which is a very useful player and not a slight, just not what I'm hoping to get here..

Miles I had a hard time seeing what people had him so highly ranked entering the season... To me, he's a perimeter dependent player who struggles creating his own shot and wasn't the consistent offensive threat MSU needed him to be... Now was that MSU and Izzo holding him back? We'll see.. I do see him having more success in the pros where his skillset will be more valuable... But again, I don't see that as #8 worthy...

In the end, I think a lot depends on where the LeBron decision is at... Based on past history, the Cavs won't get any assurances and by recent history, the Cavs are operating without him in mind...

Either way, unless a surprise happens, I full expect at least 2 of Sexton, Young and Carter to be there, if not all 3.. It should be a good class to choose from and I sure hope they can get someone to build around...

Last edited:
:cha (40):

To me, he's a guy who the stats and tape don't align... I watched five games (11/14 vs. Duke, 11/26 vs. North Carolina; 1/26 vs. Wisconsin; 2/10 vs. Purdue; 3/8 vs. Syracuse) and never did I walk away thinking he was a top-5 pick...

Now after reading the stats viewpoint on him I understand why some felt that way, but I just didn't see it his game.. I just didn't see the impact on games consistent enough to think he deserves this billing as a top-tier player... I see the tools and I understand the projections, particularly in today's day and age, but I'm just not sure...

One thing that bothered me--he fouled a lot.. This isn't uncommon for young bigs, particularly ones that block shots but it is concerning... Some bigs have overcome it (DeMarcus Cousins and Joel Embiid) and some haven't (Marquess Chriss)... For reference, here's a comparison of the top bigs per 40 minute fouls during regular season play:
Marvin Bagley: 2.2
Deandre Ayton: 2.8
Mo Bamba: 3.3
Jaren Jackson Jr.: 5.6

I also felt like his jump shot is a bit quirky.. Seemed like more of a push shot coming off his hands and I question if the %'s will hold in the league...

Not sure where your MPJ news came from but I read that he looked “impressive” to teams in attendance at his pro day in Chicago and that several teams think he’s a top 3 talent.

That's what i meant. Maybe i should've used a different term.

:cha (40):

To me, he's a guy who the stats and tape don't align... I watched five games (11/14 vs. Duke, 11/26 vs. North Carolina; 1/26 vs. Wisconsin; 2/10 vs. Purdue; 3/8 vs. Syracuse) and never did I walk away thinking he was a top-5 pick...

Now after reading the stats viewpoint on him I understand why some felt that way, but I just didn't see it his game.. I just didn't see the impact on games consistent enough to think he deserves this billing as a top-tier player... I see the tools and I understand the projections, particularly in today's day and age, but I'm just not sure...

One thing that bothered me--he fouled a lot.. This isn't uncommon for young bigs, particularly ones that block shots but it is concerning... Some bigs have overcome it (DeMarcus Cousins and Joel Embiid) and some haven't (Marquess Chriss)... For reference, here's a comparison of the top bigs per 40 minute fouls during regular season play:
Marvin Bagley: 2.2
Deandre Ayton: 2.8
Mo Bamba: 3.3
Jaren Jackson Jr.: 5.6

I also felt like his jump shot is a bit quirky.. Seemed like more of a push shot coming off his hands and I question if the %'s will hold in the league...

A high foul rate can be a good or a bad thing at the college level. For some players, it's a result of playing totally out of control. But for other players, it means they're consistently making quick, correct rotations to put themself in position to block and alter shots, they're just not finishing the defensive play correctly. Jackson falls in the latter category...he has great instincts and quick feet on rotations, which allowed him to get a lot of blocks, but also resulted in a lot of fouls. Embiid's another guy who was in that boat (5.8 fouls/40 in college, but clearly great defensive instincts) and developed into an elite rim protector.

Similarly, a low foul rate can be a good or a bad thing. It's either the mark of a very good, polished defender who has perfected the art of contesting without fouling (AD is one of few freshmen bigs who were in this category, 2.4 fouls/40), or the mark of a guy who's frequently out of position on rotations, and/or gives poor effort in 1-on-1 situations. Realistically, Bagley and Ayton are in the latter category.

View: https://twitter.com/NBADraftGod/status/1006010127877529600

Taking the information at face value, that would be Ayton, Bagley/Bamba, Young and MPJ as the top 4.

Doncic would likely go 5
Bagley/Bamba (the leftover from the Kings pick) would likely go 6
JJJ/Carter would likely go 7 - 8

The chance that JJJ could be available at 8 in this scenario is mind-blowing.

Last edited:
View: https://twitter.com/NBADraftGod/status/1006010127877529600

Taking the information at face value, that would be Ayton, Bagley/Bamba, Young and MPJ as the top 4.

Doncic would likely go 5
Bagley/Bamba (the leftover from the Kings pick) would likely go 6
JJJ/Carter would likely go 7 - 8

The chance that JJJ could be available at 8 in this scenario is mind-blowing.

That feels like a smoke screen to me. Unless we can get corroboration of the medical files. I have to say MPJ's agent is playing this really well if he manages to get him in a bidding war and get the kings to go completely into full on kings mode and draft him early without seeing his medical files.

Anything that gets JJJ to drop would be good for the cavs. He's one of the few players i could see the cavs drafting to keep due to his role player skills. He could then free up Love or TT to be traded and start at the 4.

I like JJJ Carter Jr and now Young has grown on me for the 8th pick...I think he is gone before then though... JJJ is as talented as they come .. I can't even find someone to compare him to personally.. Also he next to Love would be perfect because he would be a solid Defender who wouldn't clog the lane on offense

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."