• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2019 Browns Off Season/Roster Discussion

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
This is insanity.

Like Lamar won’t improve at all. At his peak he’s Micheal Vick lite. How in the equation is that only better than 5 teams in the NFL?

He’s also already played in the playoffs, as a rookie....

Reactions: Lee
Draft Wire, the USA Today site, just had Layne going at pick #72. I'm not saying USA Today is the expert, but I don't think it's a lock that Layne is gone before the Browns pick.

Conversely, some of the guys who I really respect with regards to the draft have said they expect him to go higher than he's being projected.

It's going to be tight, but he's probably my #1 choice at 49 as it stands right now.

One month out.

22-year-olds with his athleticism who display accuracy, a strong arm and lots of projection in their rookie season are certainly too early to judge.

If he improves on his 7.1 YPA and gets that completion percentage a bit higher, he'll be just fine.

It is early but his reliance on his legs early is really concerning. 170 pass attempts and 147 rush attempts is simply not a viable formula for long term success. Defenses will adjust to his speed and force him to beat them with the pass. Not to mention, injuries will happen if he puts himself in harms way by running so often. I don't have a lot of confidence he can win from the pocket. It's possible, he has tools, but I don't find it likely.

It is early but his reliance on his legs early is really concerning. 170 pass attempts and 147 rush attempts is simply not a viable formula for long term success. Defenses will adjust to his speed and force him to beat them with the pass. Not to mention, injuries will happen if he puts himself in harms way by running so often. I don't have a lot of confidence he can win from the pocket. It's possible, he has tools, but I don't find it likely.

In today's NFL, I'm not going to rule anything out.

I don't even really disagree with you, I think his chances of long-term success are probably somewhere between 40-60% or somewhere around there.

Its all about these next few years of development and his cognitive processing with regards to understanding defenses and how to win there.

His tools, physically, are there. He can deliver accuracy, good spin, quick release. The rest seems to be under development.

This is insanity.

Like Lamar won’t improve at all. At his peak he’s Micheal Vick lite. How in the equation is that only better than 5 teams in the NFL?

It's not though. There are countless examples of NFL QBs being successful initially because they are different types of players than the NFL is used to seeing. RG3 and Kaepernick are examples off the top of my head. NFL defenses did not know how to defend them. However; with film study, defensive coordinators caught on to the game and forced them to do things they were not capable of doing. In the case of RG3, who had a strong arm and was accurate for the most part, his biggest weapon was his legs. Once injuries hit, his perceived strengths outside of running weren't as strong because they were not complimented with his legs anymore.

Hell even Derek Anderson had pro bowl level of success early with the Browns because NFL defenses were not prepared for him. Once they got enough film and were able to game plan for him, the 2nd half of that season and the rest of his career was pretty bad.

Lamar Jackson can improve sure. However, defenses will game plan for him more effectively as well. That's why I have such low expectations from him.

It's not though. There are countless examples of NFL QBs being successful initially because they are different types of players than the NFL is used to seeing. RG3 and Kaepernick are examples off the top of my head. NFL defenses did not know how to defend them. However; with film study, defensive coordinators caught on to the game and forced them to do things they were not capable of doing. In the case of RG3, who had a strong arm and was accurate for the most part, his biggest weapon was his legs. Once injuries hit, his perceived strengths outside of running weren't as strong because they were not complimented with his legs anymore.

Hell even Derek Anderson had pro bowl level of success early with the Browns because NFL defenses were not prepared for him. Once they got enough film and were able to game planned for him, the 2nd half of that season and the rest of his career was pretty bad.

Lamar Jackson can improve sure. However, defenses will game plan for him more effectively as well. That's why I have such low expectations from him.

Kaepernick had a 90 QB rating, 16 TD and 4 INT in his final NFL action.

Not sure they figured him out so much as the rest of his team wasn't worth shit.

RGIII just never developed the timing and mental processing down the field to understand how to win at the NFL level. Additionally, the injures didn't help.

Lamar is not being done any favors by his team, either, since he is throwing to a MAC-level WR corps.

Kaepernick had a 90 QB rating, 16 TD and 4 INT in his final NFL action.

Not sure they figured him out so much as the rest of his team wasn't worth shit.

RGIII just never developed the timing and mental processing down the field to understand how to win at the NFL level. Additionally, the injures didn't help.
Kaep was one of the worst at pushing the ball down the field, relying on screens and dump offs. He was among the bottom quarter in yards per attempt every season he started. Still, having the majority of his passes as simple reads or short dump offs, he has a career completion percentage below 60%.

This is insanity.

In what world does Lamar Jackson have anything in common with Michael Vick besides they both can run? Jackson doesn't have half the arm strength Vick had.

We really don't know what kind of QB Lamar Jackson can turn into, but last year, he wasn't good--at all. I wouldn't bet on him over guys like Derek Carr.

Your team being in the playoffs has zero impact on how good of a QB you can be.

Layne will be available no problem. Plenty of high end Safeties in the draft that will and should be taken ahead of him.

Tim Tebow once made the playoffs too...

I'm not saying Lamar is or will be as bad as Tebow, but saying he made the playoffs doesn't mean there aren't 25+ QB's that are better than him at the moment...

I'm not saying Lamar is or will be as bad as Tebow, but saying he made the playoffs doesn't mean there aren't 25+ QB's that are better than him at the moment...

If you can honestly 100% say to me if you were taking a QB, has to be before you fill out the rest of your roster, there are 27 guys you would take before you took him for the coming season then fine.

I absolutely cannot do that.

Ravens made the playoffs because of their elite defense and implementation of an offense no defense had been preparing for in the NFL since Tebow ran the similar run-heavy offense in 2011. Hence it took the league 8 games to figure it out, and then the Ravens went caput. That offense won’t work again.

Jackson is going to have to pass - he has the tools. Tebow never did, but RGIII did - question I’m asking myself is does Lamar have it between the ears? We’ll see.

Draft Wire, the USA Today site, just had Layne going at pick #72. I'm not saying USA Today is the expert, but I don't think it's a lock that Layne is gone before the Browns pick.

I want LB or CB in the 2nd, the other in the 3rd and RT in the 4th,

Of course I will take what Dorsey drafts because I have no choice, but if up to me, lol.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-15: "Cavs Survive and Advance"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:15: Cavs Survive and Advance