• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Farewell, Sasha Kaun (traded to Philly)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LeMo2399

Gold Star Member
Reaction score
We traded for him in 2008 during the Draft and last i heard he was playing for CSKA Moscow, any idea if there is any chance we ever see this guy play?

Some of the inside guys on here think we might bring him over this year. He has some skills to possibly be a legit NBA backup, but if you are expecting anything more than that you will be disapointed.

I wouldnt mind seeing him come over this year, the kid is 6'11 and it would be a nice change of pace to see some size on the court.

It is harder to sign him or any international players this summer when it is unclear when or if any salary will be paid. Would you give up the contract proposals you get from European clubs to be able to be sign with the Cavs IF the an agreement is reached during the winter?

I wouldnt mind seeing him come over this year, the kid is 6'11 and it would be a nice change of pace to see some size on the court.

He is kind of a plodding bruiser type. I wouldnt mind him over here, but remember we have Semuh Erden who was never healthy and might be a better version of Kahn...ie bruiser big man backup center

He was like the 7th best player on that Kansas team so dont expect too much. Hes really not an NBA player.

It's possible he could be a back-up C or a 3rd C off the bench, but he'll never be a starter in the NBA. I'm not sure we have room for him this year with AV, SE, and RH at C (plus a bit of small ball with JJ or TT there), so I'd expect the ship has sailed on that lottery ticket.

I think Erden has higher upside and can be a very nice backup C. Not sure he can develop into much more than that, but he plays tough in the paint and isn't a liability running the floor. I still love that we got Harangody and Erden for a second rounder to save the Celts some cash. I love Harangody as energy off the bench at PF/SF.

I think Erden has higher upside and can be a very nice backup C. Not sure he can develop into much more than that, but he plays tough in the paint and isn't a liability running the floor. I still love that we got Harangody and Erden for a second rounder to save the Celts some cash. I love Harangody as energy off the bench at PF/SF.

I think harangody isnt worthy of a roster spot on a contending nba team and Erden is 50-50 if he is a legit backup 10 min a game center. That said, it was still a good trade. 2nds rarely work out and are worth taking on 2 iffy developmental players, but lets not over sell either of these 2 guys.

Small_8-SashaKAUN_Russia_.jpg

bfraser11.jpg

luke-harangody-44-nba.jpg

14332-8694.gif

Last edited:
I think harangody isnt worthy of a roster spot on a contending nba team and Erden is 50-50 if he is a legit backup 10 min a game center. That said, it was still a good trade. 2nds rarely work out and are worth taking on 2 iffy developmental players, but lets not over sell either of these 2 guys.

I'd disagree on Harangody. If he's a start then you're in trouble, but as a guy that can bring energy off the bench when your opponent is playing with a smaller lineup, I like him.

You may be right that he shouldn't be depth on a contender, but if he can put up some good numbers for us when we're bad then a contender might be willing to trade something of value for him. Buy low, sell high.

I feel the same way with Kaun. While he may not have a spot with the Cavs for the future, there might be another team that has more interest in his rights that will give us something of value for him even if it's just as a piece of a larger deal.

The big problem with Harangody is that he is a defensive liability, but he can score. 10 minutes to give you a jolt off the bench can be helpful. He does have some offensive skills.

Just happened to find this today. Not much new, although it has info on his contract situation. If he really is making $1 million per year in Moscow, I doubt we would better that by much, if anything. OTOH, it's got to be tough on his wife moving to Russia.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2011/jul/05/sasha-kaun-relishes-time-russia/

Former Kansas University basketball center Sasha Kaun — who has made over $1 million a season playing for Russian Superleague Club CSKA Moscow the past three years — is in no hurry to switch to the NBA.

“I think every player that plays the game wants to be in the NBA and over here,” the 6-foot-11, 250-pound Kaun said Thursday in an interview in Allen Fieldhouse. “But the biggest thing and the most scary part is if you don’t play. There you know you are one of the better players and always play.

“As long as I’m having fun and getting good pay out of it ... European basketball is growing a lot. A lot of good players come there and play. Whatever I’ve done so far ... I’ve been pretty blessed. Continuing on would be fine for me.”

Kaun — he has one year left on his deal in his homeland of Russia — remains the property of the NBA’s Cleveland Cavaliers, who acquired his draft rights from Seattle in the 2008 NBA Draft.

There’s a buyout in Kaun’s contract that would enable Cleveland to sign him when the current lockout is lifted and a new collective bargaining agreement is reached.

If there was going to be a season in which we would test his value, the next one would be it, weather it pis this years strike shortened season or next years post strike season...

I would be shocked to see this guy ever come over the CAVS after 3 years of waiting and him showing little production in a weaker league. Trade his rights if even for a bag of chips it would be better than nothing ( like the last 3 years ). Close the book on this Grant so we don't have to talk about him every year.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."