• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Racial Tension in the U.S.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where should the thread go from here?

• Racial Tension in the U.S.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Extremist Views on the U.S.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Mending Years of Racial Stereotypes.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Protest Culture.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Racist Idiots in the News.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
Ape diversity chief out after claiming diversity isn't limited to race

https://nypost.com/2017/11/17/apples-diversity-chief-lasts-just-six-months/?a=2

"
There can be 12 white, blue-eyed, blond men in a room and they’re going to be diverse too because they’re going to bring a different life experience and life perspective to the conversation,” the inaugural diversity chief said.

“Diversity is the human experience,” she said, according to Quartz. “I get a little bit frustrated when diversity or the term diversity is tagged to the people of color, or the women, or the LGBT."

So she's gone. Irony is she's black.

She made an idiotic comment.

Diversity is about the human experience, but arguing that a room of 12 White, blue-eyed, and blond men are"diverse" means she does not understand, at a fundamental level, what her job is... Her job is to reach out to groups that don't fit that description, because they are under-represented in the tech industry and because there is value in having a diverse workforce.

Does it mean she's wrong to say that a bunch of White men are a diverse group? No, not necessarily in a general sense; but in the context of her job description, yes, she's wrong.

This isn't really hard to understand unless we want it to be.

....Some weird statements here man:

White people aren't diverse.

Well of course they aren't.

Black people aren't diverse. Chinese people aren't diverse. No homogeneous group is, by definition, "diverse."

Diverse means not white.

Diverse means heterogeneous; mixed.

"
di·verse
dəˈvərs,dīˈvərs/Submit
adjective
showing a great deal of variety; very different.
"a culturally diverse population"
synonyms: various, sundry, manifold, multiple; More"

het·er·o·ge·ne·ous
ˌhedərəˈjēnēəs/
adjective
  1. diverse in character or content.
    "a large and heterogeneous collection"
    synonyms:diverse, varied, varying, variegated, miscellaneous, assorted, mixed, sundry, disparate, multifarious, different, differing, motley; More

Here's a copy-paste/oft-used definition of diversity from a sociological as well as business and academic standpoint (this is taken from a community college, but I found it on about 10 different business and college webpages, word for word):

It's long so I'll put it in spoiler tags for those who wish to read it:
"The concept of diversity encompasses acceptance and respect. It means understanding that each individual is unique, and recognizing our individual differences. These can be along the dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies. It is the exploration of these differences in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment. It is about understanding each other and moving beyond simple tolerance to embracing and celebrating the rich dimensions of diversity contained within each individual.

Diversity is a reality created by individuals and groups from a broad spectrum of demographic and philosophical differences. It is extremely important to support and protect diversity because by valuing individuals and groups free from prejudice, and by fostering a climate where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic.

"Diversity" means more than just acknowledging and/or tolerating difference. Diversity is a set of conscious practices that involve:

• Understanding and appreciating interdependence of humanity, cultures, and the natural environment.
  • Practicing mutual respect for qualities and experiences that are different from our own.
  • Understanding that diversity includes not only ways of being but also ways of knowing;
  • Recognizing that personal, cultural and institutionalized discrimination creates and sustains privileges for some while creating and sustaining disadvantages for others;
  • Building alliances across differences so that we can work together to eradicate all forms of discrimination.
Diversity includes, therefore, knowing how to relate to those qualities and conditions that are different from our own and outside the groups to which we belong, yet are present in other individuals and groups. These include but are not limited to age, ethnicity, class, gender, physical abilities/qualities, race, sexual orientation, as well as religious status, gender expression, educational background, geographical location, income, marital status, parental status, and work experiences. Finally, we acknowledge that categories of difference are not always fixed but also can be fluid, we respect individual rights to self-identification, and we recognize that no one culture is intrinsically superior to another.

So if Apple's definition is anything like this, which, I'm almost 100% positive that it is (I used to work for Apple BTW); then the "Diversity Chief" may have had views that were not in congruence with the company's stated goals of creating a more diverse workforce.

People don't hate white people though.

Who are you saying "hates White people?"

The people making these decisions are White; the vast majority of shareholders, board members, and persons in power, in these corporations, are White. The people mostly writing about, blogging about, and asking for change? They're White too...

This kind of statement just doesn't make sense. White folks asking for and trying to implement a more diverse, just, and representative workforce don't "hate" other White people for wanting to reach out and encourage minority groups....

No one wants white people out of positions and power simply because of the color of their skin.

What are you talking about??? The people making these decisions are by and large White!

It isn't a racial power game that they're playing. What could go wrong?

Who is they? Who is trying to dominate and subjugate White people?

Anyways this was obviously the wrong kind of black. She wanted to treat white people fairly so she's obviously alt right which is obviously Nazis.

Or she's just not suited for the job?

don't like Hitler in America, sorry. We won't jail her because of that stupid first ammendment. We'll just ruin her livelihood.

Or ... maybe she's just not suited for the job?

p.s.
The biggest push in Silicon Valley with regards to diversity hasn't anything to do with displacing "White People," it's mostly focused around gender disparities and potential discrimination and harassment in the workplace against women.

She was right in a very naive sense of the term "diverse."

You think? I think having the ability to see the unique qualities each person brings despite their race is a lot more advanced than lining people up based off of racial lines.

And why is that?

Just a lot more jaded today than I was 6 mos ago after reading here.

You think? I think having the ability to see the unique qualities each person brings despite their race is a lot more advanced than lining people up based off of racial lines.

Just a lot more jaded today than I was 6 mos ago after reading here.
There are more differences within races than between them.

Im with you man.

If a company wants life experience diversity in it's workforce, here's an idea...they could hire people with diverse life experiences!

Adding 10 points for a particular skin color is the equivalent of deducting 10 points for the wrong skin color.
That's sickening.

If a company wants life experience diversity in it's workforce, here's an idea...they could hire people with diverse life experiences!
Adding 10 points for a particular skin color is the equivalent of deducting 10 points for the wrong skin color.
That's sickening.
White people are all the same. Black people are all the same.

It's incredible that this is the premise of diversity.

Surprised? I am surprised we are hearing about the Prince of England's engagement in this thread. What could this possibly have to do with BLM and police brutality in America?

OMG an interracial marriage? Get over it. It's almost 2018.

Surprised? I am surprised we are hearing about the Prince of England's engagement in this thread. What could this possibly have to do with BLM and police brutality in America?

OMG an interracial marriage? Get over it. It's almost 2018.
Lol yeah because there haven't been hundreds of articles about it today. Search Twitter and see all the people freaking out. A black, divorced woman becoming part of the Royal Family is a pretty big story.

Lol yeah because there haven't been hundreds of articles about it today. Search Twitter and see all the people freaking out. A black, divorced woman becoming part of the Royal Family is a pretty big story.

The Brits are 30 years behind the rest of the European monarchies. Sweden's House of Bernadotte has been marrying commoners based purely on hotness for decades now.

Still hasn't been explained what the Royal wedding has to do with BLM.

Search Twitter...smh

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-15: "Cavs Survive and Advance"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:15: Cavs Survive and Advance